Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Smuggler's Cove - "It's Beyond Tiki"

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 3:01 PM

All of this recent discussion about the new Trader Vic's Island Bar & Grill (Tiki or Not Tiki ?) has got me thinking about the following again....

Do any of you view Smuggler's Cove as a form of "Buffet-ization" ? It's introduction of pirate theme elements has people calling it both a pirate bar and a Tiki bar (as well as a nautical bar). Don't believe me, just check out the Yelp reviews. Could this fall into the category of "the introduction of a generic tropical island theme with no definite identity".

Now I know that Martiki never intended SC to be a classic Tiki-style bar but the general public and the media are viewing it that way. I've even seen major articles refer to it as "The World's Greatest Tiki Bar".

Is this a form of devolution or is it an positive evolution as part of the Tiki Revival? I personally view it as the latter since I'm probably a bigger fan of well-executed "Exotica" than I am a 100% classic Tiki-style purist. Martin and Notch may very well be the first people to push Tiki-style to the next level. You might also argue that SC shouldn't be classified as Tiki in the first place but represents something new and different. If so, as Tikiphiles do you consider that good or bad?

I've had this same informal discussion with some local So CA Tikiphiles who agreed that I had a good point, but warned me not to post this. They said I would be crucified by the No CA contingent who would view his as a flame against Martin (which this isn't, I'm a big fan).

I just wanted to have a thoughful discussion of what constitutes true Tiki-style.

We have a lot of opinions regarding faceless corporations like Trader Vic's but how about when it involves one of our own?

Be nice. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-26 17:27 ]

In it's theme, it is an artful elaboration of one particular facet of Tiki style. In it's cocktails, it upholds the highest standards of the Tiki mixology tradition.

T

When I saw pictures of Smuggler's Cove I wanted to go to Smuggler's Cove.
But the photos of the new Vics does not make me want to go to the new Vics.
I can't blame Trader Vics for changing, I think a lot of the world wants
all new bars, restaurants, heck everything to look like Starbucks.
But to me cool is cool and it does not have to be tiki to be cool.
I would say that at the very least Smuggler's Cove is a throw back to
the old theme restaurants and all that old theme stuff is very cool to me.

So I say go to that wacky old store or restaurant that has been there forever.
Cuz forever is not as long as it used to be.

When we refer to the "Buffett-ization of Tiki" we mean the watering-down of tiki. If Buffett's "Cheeseburger In Paradise" joints were dense in classic decor and details I don't think we'd be complaining so much. It's when a palapa hut with sand on the floor and a surfboard on the wall gets grouped under the same "tiki" umbrella as a Trader Vic's that we feel the term "tiki" has gotten watered down.

Smuggler's Cove is saturated in the details that make a good Tiki Bar, so I don't think the term "Buffett-ization" applies in this case. But is it Tiki? Looking through my vintage paper, I can find plenty of examples of old tiki joints that had pirate and nautical elements. I would still call them Tiki.

There were also restaurants that were completely Pirate or Nautical themed. These places I wouldn't consider Tiki.

Same with Chinese Restaurants that added a Polynesian theme and tiki decor - I'd call them tiki as well, even though their food was majority Chinese.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-02-02 15:56 ]

H

I'd say listen to people you know, whose thoughts about how "pirate" and "tiki" are defined match your own, before you read too much into commentary on Yelp. These nutty folks up here think anything that might have once touched saltwater is "pirate" themed. It's weird. Endearing, but weird.

In my opinion, Smuggler's Cove is exactly as much a pirate bar as the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai. Which is to say: not very piratey. Very, very nautical, though. But that's just my opinion. There are lots of people who will tell you that an outdoor stand on a sandy beach with thatch on the top is a tiki bar. Everyone has their own semantics.

Now the real question: JOHN-O, its sounds like it's gotten to the point where your questions about Smuggler's Cove are keeping you up at night. When are you going to let yourself have a good night's sleep by coming to take a gander at it yourself?

Hear! Hear! Roadtrip!

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:16 PM

I wanna come up soon !! I figure I need at least a couple of nights to get a good cross sampling of the drinks.

First, a comparative tasting of the Tiki classics: Mai Tai, Navy Grog, Zombie (or are they pretty much the same as FI?).

Next some of the Cuban classics.

Then the net new drinks.

Do you have recommendations ? I like 'em stiff and dry.

FYI, we met once briefly at FI several years ago.

:)

J

Contrary to a more systematic and time-sensitive approach to the multitude of posts I would like to make
after returning home from Tikiyaki's very special road trip up north (lots to come!), after reading your post,
I felt passionately inspired to reply.

My first question is....have you personally experienced Smuggler's Cove?
I'm going out on a limb, but my instinct is to speculate that you have not.
If you had, you never would have posted this thread as a skeptical question.

I finally had the chance to experience Smuggler's Cove this past Friday night in the beautiful rain of Downtown
San Francisco as part of our voyage up to perform at the Palo Alto Trader Vic's.
Let me just say that every single aspect of the establishment exceeded my expectations (which were very high!).
Not a single iota of detail was unaddressed when planning this amazing Rum womb.
To put it very simply--those that are expressing negative opinions in their Yelp reviews DO NOT GET IT!!!!

Smuggler's Cove is more Tiki than most bars that set out to be "Tiki," period.
Comparing it to one of those new "Trader Vic's" (and I use the term in quotes because as far as I'm concerned,
they're only TV in name and theory to those who afforded the franchise) is ABSURD to say the very least.
And, to even mention the "B" word in any discussion of the place is absolute TRAVESTY!
I would also say that Smuggler's Cove elaborates on many more than just one aspect of Tiki Style.

Let's examine the evidence.....
First of all at it's most basic level, to follow Bigbro's argument that it has to have Tiki, to be Tiki (as opposed to
"Tiki Style"), it does. While they are not everywhere and overwhelming, they are present and make a definite impact.

Next, the environment is compact and intimate with no windows or any sense of the outside, relaying an incredible
sense of escapism and real-world sensory deprivation.

Next, what sort of elements have stood the test of argument and time as being quintessential aspects of a Tiki bar's decor?
Tapa Cloth--check.
Old, haggard looking wood--check.
Low light lamps of all shapes and sizes (puffer fish, fishing floats, a one-of-a-kind OA crate lamp, fishing floats containing
shrunken heads)--check.
Nautical/Sea Explorer items (while not explicitly "Tiki," have been determined by the majority as contributing to "Tiki Style"...
beat-up shipping crates, a life-sized canon, a giant anchor)--check.
A Frames and Thatched Roofing--check.
Rock and Water Features-check.
Exotica Music in the background--check.

And, very importantly, the Cove visually pays tribute to those forefathers of Tiki establishments that came before.
Paying attention, the patron can find nooks that house artifacts honoring the Matson lines, Skipper Kent, Victor Bergeron,
"Tiki" Bob Bryant, and a special place next to the main bar with a stunningly simple yet powerful altar-like presentation of
photos of Vic and Donn. It's as though they are omnipresent and always watching overhead.

As far as the cocktails go.....in this day and age when Mixology has reached a new level of sophistication and more and more
are becoming aware of and studying (thanks mainly to Jeff Berry and people like Martin that have the cujones to offer these
drinks) the "classic Polynesian cocktails" that just a few years ago, most bars considered a thing of the past, kitch, unpalatable,
too sweet (insert your chosen negative description), to offer such a variety, all executed with the grace and precision of a ninja,
is truly unbelievable.
Where else in the entire world can you go and experience the above mentioned environmental stimulus and order such concoctions,
without which, there would be NO "Tiki" bars, as a Grog, a Bombo, a Daiquiri, an El Floridita Cocktail?
Of course, this is not to mention their follow-through on all of the most quintessential "Tiki" drinks like a Fogcutter, Mai Tai,
Zombie, Navy Grog, Scorpion, etc.

Is that all? Not even close...try adding custom drink ware, swizzle sticks, over 200 premium rums...I could go on.

To summarize, those folks on yelp just DON'T GET IT!!! Watered-down Trader Vic's, the "B" word---absolutely NO comparison!
There is almost no place in existence right now that has the vision and execution that Smuggler's Cove does.
As far as I'm concerned there are many other well established and universally described "Tiki" bars that could take some serious
lessons from Smuggler's Cove.

Now back to the time-sensitive post-show stuff.

blah blah blah, Doesn't it say on the website that it's a Nautical Rum Bar? Nuff said.

H

On 2010-02-02 16:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Do you have recommendations ? I like 'em stiff and dry.

I'm still working my way through the menu, but of the ones I've tried so far, I'm guessing you'll particularly enjoy the El Draque, Grog, Bombo, and the Wray & Ting. I think you'll really like Martin's latest take on the Fogcutter.

Other big favorites of mine are the Rum Flip, the Suffering Bar Steward and the Port Royal. The Parisian Blonde has been very popular and is delicious, but it's more of an after-dinner sweet drink. I also really love the Port Light, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Straits Sling. And the Mundo Perdido.

Man, I need to finish up this menu so I can start going back for seconds.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 5:27 PM

On 2010-02-02 16:57, JONPAUL wrote:

My first question is....have you personally experienced Smuggler's Cove?
I'm going out on a limb, but my instinct is to speculate that you have not.
If you had, you never would have posted this thread as a skeptical question.

You are correct, I've never been. Yes I know here on TC we NEVER pass judgment on places we haven't visited. What can I say? :)

Dude, what a comprehensive and articulate review !!

I'm almost tempted to jump in my car right now and drive the 400 miles. I should be able to make it there before midnight. How's parking in the neighborhood? :D

On 2010-02-02 15:01, JOHN-O wrote:
....It's introduction of pirate theme elements has people calling it both a pirate bar and a Tiki bar...

There seems to be some confusion out there about the (actually quite simple) terminology. LISTEN to what the man called his place!
Allow me to spell it out in my favorite form of communication: imagery

SMUGG - LERS:

PI - RATE:

...and, (sorry to have to hurt your eyes)
BU - FFET- IZATION:

These themes have a very distinct iconography, which might overlap in the first two cases, but the key icons are their own. Smugglers are more closely related to Traders, kinda like the black sheep of that family.

Maybe he should have called it "Rum Runner's Ketch" or simply "The Rum Barrel". It is a Rum Cocktail Bar, inspired by the Tiki forefathers, who created the genre. Or are Skull & Crossbones flags fluttering from the rafters, and parrots perched over the bar?

Pirate Bar, sheesh! :roll:

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 6:39 PM

Cool, a parrot wearing shades! DOOOD, that's AWESOME! Just like tiki, it's all about the laidback island lifestyle, man!

-Randy

R

Okay, my boss screwed me out of a No Cal trip in November but my plan is now to make it there this summer. I am way psyched and know Martin's track record. I just want to say that a lot of the great recipies in the Grog Log, et al came from many nautical/piratical/exotic adventure themed classic bars from back in the day. A new genre perhaps, expanding on the classic old school themes perhaps, great drinkas and decor....definitely!

See you at SC in the summer kiddies.

RM, out!

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 7:11 PM

Actually, I was gonna reply tongue-NOT-in-cheek too.

As others said, you can't describe SC strictly based on the decor. Even just in terms of decor, SC is tiki, especially on the top floor. But it's other things too.

What makes SC so profoundly TIKI is the fact that its atmosphere so thoroughly embraces the look, sound, taste, and feel of that certain escapist magic that was common to the most celebrated midcentury polynesian palaces. In some ways, the spirit of that mixture of intangibles adds up to more than the presence of any number of things that can be counted on a checklist.

I read some of the yelp reviews soon after it opened. For many of the critical ones, it is self-evident how the writers' tastes and temperament make them literally incapable of enjoying the craft of the Smuggler's Cove.

-Randy

I'd say that the Cove is best described as a pirate bar with a strong tiki element. There are displayed artifacts from Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber's, and about a third of the cocktails on the menu are tiki classics, BUT the bar is more dedicated to showcasing rum than tiki history.

I'll keep an eye out for that frozen margarita machine the next time I visit.

On 2010-02-02 17:05, Jungle Trader wrote:
blah blah blah, Doesn't it say on the website that it's a Nautical Rum Bar? Nuff said.

CHEERS!

JOHN-O!
Less thinking ~ More drinking

T

I echo the sentiments of JonPaul (we both experienced it for the first time together that past weekend)

My assessment :

Tiki Bar : yes

Nautical Themed Bar : yes

Gourmet Rum cocktail bar : yes - Martin's passion for mixology takes the "tiki cocktail" to a whole other level. One look at the menu, in which each drink gets a full paragraph description, will tell you this. More than decor or aesthetic, The Cove is about mixology.

Pirate Bar : Not as much as , say, The Redwood in downtown LA, but, Pirate maybe because many of the drinks are made with rum. But, pirates drank rum straight outta the bottle. There was no "mixology" in the lore of Pirates...Yo Ho Ho and a barrel of RUM....not Mai Tais.

Buffet : No f*cking way

J

On 2010-02-02 23:11, Unga Bunga wrote:
JOHN-O!
Less thinking ~ More drinking

Yes, wiser words were never spoken. I'm drinking right now. Let me get in this last post for the evening...

On 2010-02-02 15:55, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
When we refer to the "Buffett-ization of Tiki" we mean the watering-down of tiki...

Thanks for the clarification Sabu. I was never sure what that meant. I'm not really familiar with Jimmy Buffet or his music but I always figured he must be a very bad person to garner so much so dislike here on TC. :)

I always thought that meant he brought along a Caribbean aesthetic which watered down the Polynesian focus of classic Tiki. Given that Smuggler's Cove is name leaning more towards Caribbean history I incorrectly used the term in that context.

Now that I'm sitting here :D I can see that the real misunderstanding has to do with the general public's confusion of Nautical-style with Pirate-style.

I blame it on Disney. :evil:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:31 ]

So John-O are you drunk posting again?

J

I'm not drunk off-shur !!

Dish es my Tiki cul-shur.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:29 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 3:35 AM

I have never even heard of a pirate bar.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2010-02-03 03:35 ]

T

On 2010-02-02 19:57, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
I'd say that the Cove is best described as a pirate bar with a strong tiki element.

I don't get it, why does "pirate" still enter the discussion? I thought I pointed out above that SMUGGLER is a completely different job description than PIRATE. Or do you remember any smuggling going on in the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies? And this is NOT splitting hairs: This IS a discussion about style concepts and their meaning. Pirate stuff is child's play, the "Smuggler" concept is a much more adult form of ...playing. And it is much more RUM-, and thus Tiki-related.

Just because the media and blogosphere cannot differentiate the meaning of a theme concept does not mean we have to buy into it.

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 8:28 AM

Bigbro raises a good point, understanding the difference between pirates and traders/smugglers. I wish I understood this better a month ago. It would have prevented a very serious social faux pas.

I was invited to this party in Venice. The place was heavily decorated with a nautical theme and the host was dressed in what I assumed was pirate wear. At first I thought this was pretty weird but hey it was Venice.

After several beers, I jokingly asked the host where his parrot was. He responded "What do you mean parrot?" I said "Don't all pirates have parrots?". He then glared at me with looks to kill and responded:

"I am NOT a pirate. I sir, am a TRADER !!"

I was really confused since I thought he was saying "traitor".

At any rate he was pissed off for the rest of the evening which killed the party. Everyone was mad at me. :(

On a lighter note, Caribbean elements can mesh well with Tiki-style. Check out Tawnya serving up the Tropicals at Frankie's Tiki Room. I think she looks pretty hot in that "wench" outfit. :) (Technically that might be a Bavarian dress but I think you get my point.)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:39 ]

I've read a lot of those same Yelp reviews, and they seem to be by people who are expecting a Disney-like Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and who also seem very upset that they can't get a Bud Light, Appletini, or jell-o shot.
Let them be disappointed and not ever come back.
More room for the rest of us!

As for drinks... the Bombo is soooo good, as is the Three Dots and A Dash... but the real star for me was the Jet Pilot. That thing has so many exquisite layers to it, that it left me pretty speechless.
"Can't talk... drinking."

T

TIKI ?

You tell ME....

J

OK, this discussion is getting old (as is the Trader Vic's thread) :)

The final consensus on SC is just GO.....

Check out Woofmutt's new thread. Now he's got his priorities right.....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35395&forum=13&1

Can you mock a mocker? Yes, yes you can. :D

And that guy in the middle in the picture above? He looks like a pirate to me !! Real Tikiphiles should be clean-shaven as was the style during the time. Only beatniks and communists wore beards then.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 10:34 ]

On 2010-02-03 06:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
"I don't get it, why does "pirate" still enter the discussion? I thought I pointed out above that SMUGGLER is a completely different job description than PIRATE..."

Rum-running,
From Wikipedia, so it's got to be true!

"It wasn't long after the first taxes on alcoholic beverages that someone began to smuggle them . . . Pirates often made extra money running rum to heavily taxed colonies."
(emphasis added)

I too can't see why people confuse Pi-rates and Smugg-lers.

Or is that Smugg-lers and Pi-rates??? :D

J

On 2010-02-03 11:25, Limbo Lizard wrote:

"It wasn't long after the first taxes on alcoholic beverages that someone began to smuggle them . . . Pirates often made extra money running rum to heavily taxed colonies."
(emphasis added)

I think the point is that while all pirates might be smugglers not all smugglers are pirates.

If I'm interpreting the Bigbro's comments correctly it's acceptable to have Caribbean iconography as part of Tiki-style as long as it's trader/smuggler influenced and not specifically pirate. I'm guessing because pirates smell and have bad table manners.

We don't want that kind of riff-raff inside the Tiki bar !!

Also pirate iconography (at least from the Hollywood over-the-top standpoint) might tend to overpower the Tikis. I'm thinking of the kitschy elements like skull and crossbones, parrots, and Jolly Roger flags. At least the trader/smuggler stuff is a little more neutral from a nautical standpoint.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 13:17 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 1:30 PM

A true "Pirate bar" might be more along the lines of Crazy Hook in Koreatown.

FYI, this place is not always hospitable to large groups of non-Koreans. I always try to "pass" when I'm drinking in K-Town. :)

There are no Tikis in this place.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 13:34 ]

I don't get it, why does "pirate" still enter the discussion? I thought I pointed out above that SMUGGLER is a completely different job description than PIRATE. Or do you remember any smuggling going on in the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies? And this is NOT splitting hairs: This IS a discussion about style concepts and their meaning. Pirate stuff is child's play, the "Smuggler" concept is a much more adult form of ...playing. And it is much more RUM-, and thus Tiki-related.

Just because the media and blogosphere cannot differentiate the meaning of a theme concept does not mean we have to buy into it.

Please use the men's room at the SC and look at the wall.

This sounds kind of like a DTB thread, no?

So who of all the PIRATES = SMUGGLERS smart asses here can show me that Smuggler's Cove is predominantly decorated in the Pirate theme? I said myself previously that the two overlap, but are they the same? Should we tell Martin to call it "Pirate's Cove", then?
For every point made, there can always be exceptions found. Great achievement. Clap clap clap, guys.

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 9:35 AM

C'mon Bigbro, no need to be sarcastic. We were just having a little fun as you like to do. :)

I for one have found this thread to be both educational as well as entertaining.

Seriously at this point, I think that everyone here (well most everyone) will now agree that Smuggler's Cove is aesthetically a tiki/nautical bar and not a pirate bar. The posts by Humuhumu and Jonpaul articulately made that point. The only question I still have is can a true "Tiki" bar have a name connected with Caribbean culture. But as Jungle Trader pointed out, SC is being defined by Martin as a "nautical rum bar".

I'm sure I wasn't the only one confused here and we all can't visit these places in person. That's what's great about a site like TC, it allows us to "travel" to other places though the experiences of others. The frustration I was having was that most early posts here on SC were of the golly-gosh congratulatory type: "SC is a great place, you should go !!" and not very descriptive or thoughtful. Only the Jab made the analogy of "Pre-Tiki". That's why I (and I'm sure others) looked to Yelp to get the skinny.

And let's admit it, whether we're talking about Tiki or Pirates, it's still a POP CULTURE iconography. You can reference all of the Oceanic Art books and Caribbean history you want, but in the end aren't these pop culture styles at the mercy of the general public's perception? For most people, Nautical = Pirates because of the overwhelming popular imagery of "Pirates of the Caribbean". Right or wrong, that's a reality.

Yes, I can see how first generation Tiki-style was directly influenced by the original native subject matter but what happens when that pop culture iconography starts feeding on itself rather than the original or historically accurate inspirations. Does that make it any less valid? I know that you might feel that way but I'm not so sure.

Like it or not, Smuggler's Cove even though Martin's intent was a "nautical rum bar", has reinforced the general public's (ignorant?) perception of what a "Tiki bar" or what a "Pirate bar" is. Should we care what the public thinks or just be content to play here in our insular Tiki sandbox?

No offense intended here, but I gotta imagine that Smuggler's Cove (God bless it, Martin, and his master mixology) is only going to make it harder for evangelists of Tiki-style to spread the faith. Now not only do you have "Buffet-ization" as part of the confusion, but "pirates" as well.

Yeah I know as Ung Bunga pointed out, I should be more drinking more and thinking less, but I couldn't help comparing this to the exhaustive (it's still going on !!) thread on the new Trader Vic's. All of that discussion on a place who's sole intent was to be a fun affordable place to get a good Mai Tai. To me, Smuggler's Cove with all of its ambition and its twist on Tiki-style is the more worthy topic.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-04 14:42 ]

i vote to re-name it SNUGGLER's COVE!
Kind of more warm and fuzzy..like Rum!
Plus,it wouldn't encourage folks to nitpick about Smugglers and Pirates....
Instead they would just drink their rum and snuggle up next to somebody....

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 2:38 PM

That's a good idea. I agree with LLT.

And if that someone next to you looks like this...

Are you seriously gonna tell her she's NOT sitting in a Pirate Bar ?

(I know this will lighten the Bigbro up. Cheesecake is his weakness.) :D

T

Now THAT'S some booty!!!

A
aquarj posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 5:50 PM

I really like this Smuggler's Cove tiki.

I also really like this Smuggler's Cove tiki bowl.

I also like the embedded references to Tiki Bob's and other kinds of classic polynesian pop places we celebrate on TC.

Obviously those references are not only visual in the decor, but in the flavor of the drinks!

But I haven't seen any pirate stuff in Smuggler's Cove - maybe I missed them, because there sure seems to be a lot of talk about them! Anyone recall better than me - is there pirate-y stuff like treasure chests or a skull-and-crossbones flag? I recall tapa, bamboo, blowfish lights, a little a-frame, rum barrels, crates, lots of rope and rigging, and of course the cannon and anchor. But none of that specifically ties to pirates, and a lot of it specifically doesn't.

I still say they should make a little rope-and-pulley drink delivery system from the main floor bar to the upper polynesian perch.

-Randy

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:17 PM

On 2010-02-03 11:58, MadDogMike wrote:

I can't wait until this thread is buried in the archives of TC. I apologize for kicking it back to the top. All I know is, I love me some Tiki, and I love me some Smuggler's Cove. The end.

On 2010-02-03 11:58, MadDogMike wrote:

Whadda 'bout Buccaneers?

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:58 PM

On 2010-02-04 18:17, KAHAKA wrote:

I can't wait until this thread is buried in the archives of TC. I apologize for kicking it back to the top. All I know is, I love me some Tiki, and I love me some Smuggler's Cove. The end.

Sigh... I was warned this was going to happen.

I should have listened. :(

Well I thought it was a good question. Being new to the whole Tiki culture I want to learn as much as I can and this thread has been useful to me. Who actually invented Tiki? who invented the Mai Tai, dose anyone know 100% without a doubt? is there someone who is qualified to say? I love this fourm, I love peoples effort and imagination with their Bars and crafts. Smugglers Cove looks like a wonderful place, we should be thankful it exists and congratulate Martin for creating it. and for those lucky enough to get there and sample its atmosphere, I envy. What ever it is Nautical, Tiki, whatever. I like it!
Trader Bob

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 8:48 AM

Thanks Trader Bob,

Leave it to a Tiki newcomer to put it all in the right perspective. I suggest we end the discussion here with your comments:

"Smugglers Cove looks like a wonderful place, we should be thankful it exists and congratulate Martin for creating it. and for those lucky enough to get there and sample its atmosphere, I envy."

"What ever it is Nautical, Tiki, whatever. I like it!"

(Hey, this was my 400th post !!)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-05 08:51 ]

T

On 2010-02-05 00:06, Trader Bob wrote:
Well I thought it was a good question. Being new to the whole Tiki culture I want to learn as much as I can and this thread has been useful to me. Who actually invented Tiki? who invented the Mai Tai, dose anyone know 100% without a doubt? is there someone who is qualified to say? I love this fourm, I love peoples effort and imagination with their Bars and crafts. Smugglers Cove looks like a wonderful place, we should be thankful it exists and congratulate Martin for creating it. and for those lucky enough to get there and sample its atmosphere, I envy. What ever it is Nautical, Tiki, whatever. I like it!
Trader Bob

Before the internet, there were things called "books", and one of them was called "The Book of Tiki", which by its title speaks of and answers many of the questions you have. You can find it and other "books" on a site called "Amazon.com". But this might be getting too intellectual about the subject, and not enough "fun". :)

Pages: 1 2 92 replies