Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

La Descarga, Thee New Rum Bar in Hollywood!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

CJ

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/bars-and-clubs/la-et-night5-2010feb05,0,7703427.story

Though the tiki cocktail was invented in Los Angeles, when it comes down to it, Angelenos don't consume a whole lot of its signature spirit: rum. Outside of select tiki bars such as Trader Vic's and Tiki-Ti, our interest in rum drinks doesn't go much further than the mojito. L.A. likes vodka and whiskey, says Craig Trager, who owns five bars including the Well and NoBar. If it weren't for his $3 margarita special at El Bar, which has a Mexican theme, he says he'd even have a hard time pushing tequila. "I order more vodka and Jack Daniels than anything."

Mark and Jonnie Houston, 31-year-old twins who grew up locally, intend to change that -- along with a slew of other tried-and-true night life conventions. With their new East Hollywood bar La Descarga, they not only specialize in vintage rum cocktails, but they also have a rum education program that takes place on an enclosed patio, which doubles as a cigar room. "We don't want to play it safe," says Mark, stressing that "this is not a tiki bar."

That's for sure. Walking up the long staircase to La Descarga's lobby is akin to stepping into a time machine and landing in old Havana. Patrons are greeted by a woman sitting at a desk with a built-in turntable playing Latin music. They are then welcomed into the bar, a gorgeous den bursting with authentic details: Caribbean colors in red, green and amber; wrought-iron railing, weathered wooden ceiling, antique sconces, Cuban artifacts, cigar boxes, Spanish Colonial doors, a red oak bar and a selection of about 70 rums that sit on shelves that take up an entire wall. "It's baroque and rustic and deteriorating," says Mark of the look. And, of course, there's the music, which alternates between era-specific play lists and live bands playing salsa, rumba, mambo and Caribbean music. Their mission never waivers: "No Top 40 or reggaeton," Mark adds.

To help fulfill their vision, the twins brought on Steve Livigni, one of L.A.'s most respected barmen. Before coming on board, Livigni was the general manager at the Doheny, a membership-only bar that specializes in artisanal cocktails, and before that he worked at the Four Seasons. As GM of La Descarga, he hit the ground running, working with buzzed-about cocktail consultant Pablo Moix to create the bar's drinks, many of which predate tiki. "I did a lot of research," says Moix, who managed to find a cocktail menu from the early years of Bar Florida, one of Cuba's most famous bars.

Together they came up with a menu that includes the traditional daiquiri as well as the Hemingway version, which comes with a double portion of rum -- of course! -- as well as fresh lime juice, grapefruit juice, Maraschino liqueur and a touch of sugar. There's also the Bad Spaniard, a guilty pleasure made with Cruzan Blackstrap Rum, Amaro Averna, sweetened condensed milk, one whole egg yolk and cinnamon. In the process, Moix, who has a day job as portfolio mixologist for Bacardi, became so inspired he signed on to tend bar at La Descarga on nights he's available.

The bartenders were as carefully selected as the cocktails. And, as Livigni points out, many of them are women. "I believe this is the first time this many women will be behind the bar of a mixology venue." They all went through extensive training to learn the history of rum, the various ways it's made (for example, rum agricole is made of sugar cane that gets distilled immediately after it's been pressed for a fruitier, more tropical taste than the mass-produced rums we're more accustomed to), and how to serve it in a manner that's not intimidating to patrons. "That's what we're here for, to guide you through our beautiful selections of rum."

That said, you won't find the kind of snobbery common in many of L.A.'s classic cocktail bars. "If someone comes in and orders a Grey Goose and tonic, we'd be very happy to do it without a snicker," says Livigni.

For the Houston brothers, this is only their latest partnership. "We had a cellphone business at the age of 19. We were making four grand a week," says Jonnie, who then went on to work on night life projects, including Temporary Spaces, an indie DJ-driven club. His brother Mark was formerly in commercial real estate.

"We're taking seedy old dive bars and cleaning them up," says Mark. Hollywood's Piano Bar, which he and his brother acquired and reopened in August, now has the feel of a New Orleans bar complete with complimentary barbecue and blues on Sundays. "Our mom owns [Koreatown bar] Monte Carlo," says Jonnie. "It's kind of in our blood." In May, the twins plan to open a '60s-inspired manor in the former Forty Deuce space. They also have plans to revamp Hollywood's Stone Bar. With an eye for authenticity and an inclusive cocktail culture, they might be a new power team in L.A. night life.

alexandra.letellier @latimes.com

La Descarga
Where: 1159 N. Western Ave., Los Angeles

When: 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays

Price: Rum cocktails, $9 to $12; rum flights, $15 to $50

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-02-05 08:49 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-02-05 08:51 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-02-12 00:40 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 11:37 AM

We need to set up a field trip!

I agree. Next week sounds good.

CJ

Next week works for me!

CJ
W

The story & video link above (first post) works if you cut-n-paste it. Or just click here:

La Descarga LA Times

Nice video, great looking joint.

"An outdoor bar serves cigars..." according to this site.

Aww.... wrong Hollywood.

I live in the Florida Hollywood, got my hopes up for minute.

A

Yeah, I read the article in the paper this morning. Watching the video, I had to laugh when they prominently show at the end a bottle of Havana Club. Is it just illegal to bring it here, not have it?

BB

Hmm, I don't know, I get the feeling these guys are trying hard to be cool but if there's a field trip and someone wants to make ** "Reservations"** then I'm in. I'll gladly drive the 2.7 miles and show them what trying hard to be cool is all about. :lol:

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 1:56 PM

"We don't want to play it safe," says Mark, stressing that "this is not a tiki bar."

RED ALERT. RED ALERT. :o

"We're taking seedy old dive bars and cleaning them up,"

This sends shudders up my spine. :(

"Our mom owns [Koreatown bar] Monte Carlo"

Now that to me sounds like the place to check out. :)

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 2:05 PM

Thursday next week good for everyone?

BB

Yep!

Cuban theme, Carribbean colors, Hemingway style daquiri......sounds like a Florida bar to me.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 2:27 PM

On 2010-02-05 14:23, dewey-surf wrote:

Cuban theme, Carribbean colors, Hemingway style daquiri......sounds like a Florida bar to me.

Yup, the only difference is in LA, we have 5 hipster douchebags for every 1 of yours.

It's true !! :D

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 2:59 PM

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
CJ

On 2010-02-05 14:59, Murph wrote:
Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  1. Joe
M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 5:05 PM

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe

On 2010-02-05 14:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Yup, the only difference is in LA, we have 5 hipster douchebags for every 1 of yours.

Yeah but our hipster douchebags have confederate flags on the sides of their pick-up trucks. So that has to double the hipster douchebaggedness quotient.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 5:36 PM

On 2010-02-05 14:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O

Uno mas ?? Sabu el Coconut Muchacho ?? :)

A qué hora ??

M
Murph posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 5:06 PM

OK reservations are set for this Thursday at 8pm
Anyone else like to join us?

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O

I'm interested in checking it out,
but I'm thinking a sun. nite works for me.

but Im interested in hearing the reports from the thurs. nite trip.

Jeff(btd)

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O
  5. Sabu TCB
G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 9:30 AM

GROG tempted to go just because of the company. GROG unemployed, so GROG trying not to spend too much money out drinking.

CJ

What about Phipipho (Paul)??

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 9:49 AM

I'll buy you a round Grog. I owe you one for that Plastic Wahine you generously gave up for me at the Tonga Hut.

Besides you can never have enough douchebags at a Hollywood bar. :D Just be sure to wear your Ed Hardy shirt.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 9:53 AM

Alright John-O! Now if a couple more of these guys offer to buy GROG a round, then GROG definitely go.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 10:04 AM

Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O
  5. Sabu TCB
  6. GROG
  7. Tiki G

The G man offered to buy GROG a couple of drinks, so along with John -O's offer, that's enough drinks to get GROG to go.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-02-09 10:06 ]

J

On 2010-02-09 10:04, GROG wrote:
Thursday roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O
  5. Sabu TCB
  6. GROG
  7. Tiki G

"Hey why is this bar only filled with men??"

Oh, that's right, I forgot we were in East Hollywood (that's the "new" West Hollywood). :D

If I were only 15 to 20 years younger, I'd be up for the 18-hour-drive-down-turn-around trip...

CJ

my girlfriend Reign will most likely be joining us

sausage fest?
:o

how many goatees will be in there?
ha ha ha

Jeff(btd)

UB

They're playing with fire with that drink they call the "Bad Spaniard" with the raw egg..

I have never found info if alcohol kills salmonella or not.
(sorry for the derail)

Looks like a great place.
Looking forward for a visit.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2010-02-09 23:29 ]

M
Murph posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 1:16 PM

Sausage fest?
Salmonella Poisoning?

Remind me to call you guys for PR for my next event :D

UB

On 2010-02-09 13:16, Murph wrote:
Sausage fest?
Salmonella Poisoning?

Remind me to call you guys for PR for my next event :D

That was my laugh for the day. Thanks Murph.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 10, 2010 9:44 AM

Sorry,but GROG not coming. GROG got a cold. GROG was Tiki G's ride, so unless someone else picks him up, he won't be able to make it either.

T

Sorry to hear to have a cold, Grog.

Scratch me off the list for tomorrow night gentlemen...looking forward to seeing the results of the visit tomorrow. G

Tonight's roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O
  5. Sabu TCB
  6. Squid

Anyone else?

If Sabu wouldn't have invited me, I never would have found this post, cause I never go "Beyond..."
I have so much to blabber about Tiki-wise, I'd never see my family, otherwise!

On 2010-02-11 11:49, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Tonight's roster:

1. Murph
  2. Boris
  3. Joe
  4. JUAN-O
  5. Sabu TCB
  6. Squid
  7. Bigbro

So count me in! Do we have a table as a group? Do I need to reserve individually? Are we all gonna dare and go inside the TIKI THEATER after? John-O, as the dive-master, I bet you have been... :)

I would have chimed in here long ago had I known this thread --I was planning to sneak something in the "Tiki Drinks" section, under the "Havana Before Castro" thread....BECAUSE:

....I am thrilled to share the fact that this is the first bar that was (partially) inspired by Pete Moruzzi's Havana book!: The Hughes brothers wanted to do a Cuban bar to begin with, but after they found "Havana Before Castro", they knew which direction they wanted it to take. They really read the book, and decided to make the bar look like the faded grandeur of today's Havana --(not, as the LA Times MAGAZINE reviewer misunderstood: "La Descarga rum bar transports you to a Havana that exists only in dreams..." http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/02/cuba-libre.html -the whole point being that this Havana still exists TODAY, in a time warp.

So the brothers actually had the courtesy to find and call Pete, and give him (and me :) ) a little preview before they opened:

These guys are not only nice guys, but intelligent. They really nailed the look. It was a thrill to see, like the first Tiki Bar opening again. Now, most of their picture frames hold images from Pete's book, and best of all, in the good old tradition, they wallpapered the restrooms with pages from it! :)

I went on opening night again, and my fave cocktail was "Tapping the Admiral", a sort of Old Fashioned/Manhatten with rum. Tasty, and great concept name for a cocktail: http://home.xnet.com/~warinner/nelson.html

So now, you don't have to go thru Mexico to get to Havana (well, kinda, since the neighborhood is like that) :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-02-15 09:53 ]

"That said, you won't find the kind of snobbery common in many of L.A.'s classic cocktail bars."

No sandals, no baggy shorts, no sports team hats i.e. baseball caps. They are going to try real hard to "AVOID TIKI". $14 for a glass of Appleton Reserve. And you need reservations! :)

M
Murph posted on Thu, Feb 11, 2010 5:04 PM

I've got reservations for eight people so we should be good.

At 8PM sharp

J

On 2010-02-11 14:58, bigbrotiki wrote:

If Sabu wouldn't have invited me, I never would have found this post, cause I never go "Beyond..."

You know the real reason why the Bigbro never posts on "Beyond Tiki"?

It's because in this non-Tiki category he's like Superman under a red sun.

He loses his Tiki super-powers....

Just kidding Bigbro, I look forward to finally meeting you. :)

I'll bring my BOT and TM for you to sign.

P

I wouldn't worry too much about the raw egg. Egg white is pretty common in a lot of drinks (eg, Ramos Gin Fizz and Pisco Sour) and is making something of a comeback lately. The egg white is usually pasteurized. Egg yolk is used in egg nog and rompope, which I am guessing the "Bad Spaniard" is based on but that is just speculation. I would worry more about how bad that Spaniard is.

I would love to be able to join you guys (and maybe girl) tonight but it is not going to work for me. I want to read a full report though. I'm sure between Sabu and Sven we should be getting a pretty good rundown on the place.

thanks for the more in depth details Sven.
knowing all of that, I really want to go now.
might have to break out the suit.
:o
and make a trip up there someday.

Jeff(btd)

Thank you Coco Joe for starting this post and thank you Murph for organizing a really great night. John-O it was a pleasure to meet you.

Here is my review ~

I had 4 drinks tonight - Papa's Daiquiri, The Honey Swizzle, Tapping the Admiral, a Cuba Libre + a sipping shot of Zaya in the Rum Room / Cigar bar (Thanks Murph) and all were delicious.

OH MY GOD I F*CKING LOVE THIS PLACE AND I CAN’T WAIT TO GO BACK! :o

Getting there at 8:00 is good, it doesn't fill up for an hour or so.

I think the Taco stand next door is going to make a lot of money.

CJ

I'm a little bummed I missed out on the tranny bar it once was

http://www.yelp.com/biz/blacklite-los-angeles

That was a nice evening with friends in a friendly place:

In the beginning, it was nice and empty
(I hate using the flash, so folks come across a little unfocused)

J.P., Squid and Boris

Everybody's favorite, the Tapping the Admiral

In a separate room, the Cigar and rum lounge. I had a pot still Sea Wynde, yummy!
This is were we met the Zaya reps.

John-O, JonPaul studying the cocktail menu, and Marie

By ten o'clock the band showed up and things got a little more heated

...the dancer helped

Cha cha, baby!

Then it was time for some urban archeology:

"Havana before Castro" wall paper

J.P. reading :)

My photos up on the restroom wall. That's better than in any gallery!

After, a little greasy meat to soak up the alcohol:

Squid and Sabu at the Taco stand next door

Nobody seemed interested to explore the inner secrets of the Tiki Theater around the corner :D

..even though it is immortalized in the BOT! Oh well, next time.

I found my keys, by the way. Thanks Murph!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-02-12 09:22 ]

WOW...I can't wait to go there!! Thanks for the pic's and the report Sven!!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Feb 12, 2010 9:32 AM

Me too!

I'll visit sometime soon. Thanks for posting the pics and blazing new trails :)

Pages: 1 2 91 replies