Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

La Descarga, Thee New Rum Bar in Hollywood!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

CJ

amazing place! I strongly suggest visiting....go early to avoid the crowd. We snuck out before it got crazy.

Sorry for not saying our goodbyes to all of yous

and giles, giles, and fripp rule!

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-02-12 13:11 ]

The owner told me that Tuesdays and Wednesdays are better for a not-so-busy, loungey atmosphere. Saturdays they get up to 400 reservation requests. Not bad for being only two weeks open. Widespread media spreads sure help. I am always glad when a new venture is successful.

Thanks for the reviews, and pics,

they always say it takes time and money to get the word out on a Place.
if you do it right, your bound to have great success if the place is quality.

gotta go.

Guess it will have to be on a Tues. ugh.....

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-12 22:20 ]

I would say that this place is a must visit for any Out-of-Towners coming through L.A., it's not far from Tiki-Ti and if you hit both in one night you'd have no problem falling asleep on the sidewalk or in line at the taco stand next door so no need for a hotel. :)

Murph tacos it up!

On 2010-02-13 20:11, Bora Boris wrote:
I would say that this place is a must visit for any Out-of-Towners coming through L.A., it's not far from Tiki-Ti and if you hit both in one night you'd have no problem falling asleep on the sidewalk or in line at the taco stand next door so no need for a hotel. :)

Why didn't you include that info in your Yelp review? :wink:

Because I would prefer that Out-of-Towners I don't know stay in hotels, it's good for the economy. :lol:

J

On 2010-02-12 01:11, Coco Joe wrote:

I'm a little bummed I missed out on the tranny bar it once was.

Actually I think the nearby Stone Bar on Hollywood Blvd still has a weekly Thai tranny night. I remember sticking my head in there once on the way down to Jumbo's Clown Room. I was scared !!

Let me know when you want to have a TC night there before that place gets redone. And thanks Joe to you (and Murph) for starting this whole thread/event. We have a winner here !!

On 2010-02-13 20:11, Bora Boris wrote:

I would say that this place is a must visit for any Out-of-Towners coming through L.A., it's not far from Tiki-Ti …...

I concur with Bora Boris. This place isn't just another "New Cocktailian" bar. In the same way Tiki Revival bars like Forbidden Island and Frankie's lovingly play homage to classic Tiki-style, La Descarga does the same with mid-century Havana-style. They've really done a beautiful job. I like how the nondescript East Hollywood sidewalk exterior (next door to a taco stand no less) belies the hidden jewel that waits inside.

The way you first enter is really cool. "Time machine effect" is a good metaphor. I however fear for the Hollywood betties descending the spiral staircase in their stiletto heels. The dress code is a good idea. I think that cargo shorts or hip-hop wear would really spoil the atmosphere.

So how were the drinks? Here's what I had:

1. Cuba Libre - Hmmm… I think my expectations were too high. Yes they were using Mexican Coke (sugar-based, not fructose) and a top-flight rum (which I forget), but to be honest it was just a pretty good Rum & Coke. I dunno, I usually drink Jack in my Cokes so maybe I 'm not a good judge of this drink.

2. Honey Swizzle - Very tasty. With the licorice taste, it reminded me of a Dr. Funk (Tiki-Ti version not DTBC). I was disappointed that the majority of the drink consisted of ice. It wasn't much booze for $12(?) .

3. Tapping the Admiral - Complex and divine. This was everyone's favorite. I could sip these all night.

I have to say after 3 drinks, I was still pretty sober. For $40+, I kind of expect to be a little more buzzed. Maybe next time I'll take the bartender's suggestion and try the Daiquiri and/or the sipping rums.

It was great to meet Bora Boris, Murph (and his friend), Squid, and the Bigbro (who my first impression will always be of him walking down an East Hollywood sidewalk with a half-eaten burrito in his hand). :)

Oh yeah, here's a picture of Coco Joe (with Reign) and Murph, who both got this successful thread/event rolling.

And the Bigbro too !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-15 17:14 ]

We had a blast there! Great atmosphere!
Look forward to many returns.

Need an IV for Tapping the Admiral!
Really enjoyed that drink!

I agree JOHN-O, they need to cut back some on the ice.

T

I was in town getting a haircut at Sweeney Todd's Barber Shop on Saturday the 6th, so we had dinner at the Tar Pit (swanky, old-style decor, great food and cocktails) and made it to La Descarga around 9:00. We had a reservation for 8:00 but an online search result listed their address at S. Western, so we went to the wrong part of town by mistake. But they were cool and let us in an hour late. It wasn't crowded yet so we got drinks fairly quickly. I had the excellent Tipping the Admiral, then we checked out the rum / cigar lounge and sipped some rum there while I smoked a pipe (it's great being able to do that in a bar!). We caught the first show in the main room around 10:00 but had to leave after that to catch a band at the Bordello. It was a beautiful space, everyone was dressed to the nines, and the drinks we had were fabulous. The show was a real treat as well. I'll definitely be back!

I so have to make it to this bar. And it would be fun if I were accompanied by all you strapping men who have already checked it out. I'll have to make it next time I'm down.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2010 5:23 PM

So is the "League Of Extraordinary Drinkers" up for another night at La Descarga?

BB

I could do next Thursday, does that work for anyone else? :D

JB

...as in tomorrow...or a week from tomorrow?

I was going to Trader Vic's tomorrow (anyone interested in meeting?) but I would be up for La Descarga next Wednesday or Thursday.

BB

Yes, that would be a week from tomorrow - Thursday the 11th.

I'm up for next Thursday.
Looking forward to it.

I found out that a cool Jazzy band is playing At Taix, where King Kukulele used to do his shows at on Sunset Blvd. at 10:15 on Thursdays.
I wouldn't normally go, but if I go to La Descarga right at 8, then take off when it starts to get crowded, this will work out perfect.

Jeff(btd)

Lady Velour and I are interested in going on Thursday. Let me know if you set something up.

M
Murph posted on Sat, Mar 6, 2010 6:13 PM

I'll make reservations for Thursday

Sign in here:

1. Murph
BB
  1. Murph
  2. Bora Boris
JB
  1. Murph
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks

sorry cant make it this week.
but I am in for thurs. the 18th or 25th.

Jeff(btd)

1. Murph
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks
  4. Sabu
  5. Squid
M
Murph posted on Mon, Mar 8, 2010 2:37 PM

I'll make reservations tonight for this Thursday at 8pm.
So get on the list NOW!

1. Murph +3 (and they're not all dudes!)
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks
  4. Sabu
  5. Squid
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks
  4. Sabu
  5. Squid
  6. Johnnie Velour
  7. Lady velour
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks
  4. Sabu
  5. Squid
  6. Johnnie Velour
  7. Lady velour
  8. Iokona Ki i
  9. Claudette
  2. Bora Boris
  3. Joe Banks
  4. Sabu
  5. Squid
  6. Johnnie Velour
  7. Lady velour
  8. Iokona Ki i
  9. Claudette
  10. PolyPop

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2010-03-09 13:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 11:01 AM

Is it too late to sign up? Tiki G and GROG want to go.

I'm so sorry, something came up and we are going to have to cancel.

M

See everyone tonight at 8pm sharp.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 11:48 AM

C.U.then.

I'm sorry guys, I'm not going to make it tonight. I'm still at work. :(

Dammit! Sorry mates. We totally forgot!
All work and no play makes fluff brain dead!
Next time for sure!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2010 1:12 AM

You suck! GROG totally looking forward to seeing Claudette(and maybe you too.),only to be disappointed.

GROG have MUCHO FUN at La Descarga tonight. What a blast. The company was great, the place was awesome, and the drinks were muy fine!

Two semi-opposable thumbs way up.

CJ

I wish I would have made it out tonight. Happy to see our people going. Does this need call for a TC night?

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2010 7:37 AM

La Descarga...

I had a real enjoyable evening last night! Great friends, great cocktails within a pretty convincing environment (awesome service and staff),
enjoyable dance show and music, one ultra-smooth cigar that I smoked on the premises...yeah this little club lived up to the hype I was told beforehand...I remember asking Murph at some point "We're still in LA, right?!!???

No doubt I highly recommend a visit to all night-owls coming into Hollywood :wink:

Below are some pics I happened to snap during the evening - enjoy. G

Oh yeah- I forgot to say I missed all Ohana that didn't make it last night :(

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-03-12 07:57 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2010 1:28 PM

What a blast! Great Bar and Great Friends!
Thanks everyone for a great evening.

This place gets better each visit.

We sure had the right spot at the bar

CJ
M
Murph posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 12:26 PM

I'm thirsty. Is the "League Of Extraordinary Drinkers" up for another evening at La Descarga?

JB

Why yes...yes I am.

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 3:21 PM

So far we've got two for cocktails... anyone else?

BB

Hi Murph,

I'm gonna have to sit out any June trip. Have a great time and I'll be back on board for July, August and beyond..........

Let's go there's a July window Murph, chat it out at the Rumpus Room this week.

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jun 21, 2010 4:51 PM

Sounds good. We'll set a July time.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Jun 6, 2013 8:18 PM

Time for another trip to LA DESCARGA!

Los Angeles' Premiere Rum Bar La Descarga Presents,
Tiki Tuesday with Guest Bartender, Mixologist, Kelly Hiphipahula Reilly.
Kelly will be creating her Original Exotic Rum Cocktails beginning at 8:00pm Tuesday June 18.
La Descarga is a Rum and Cuban-themed speakeasy bar in L.A. and is one of the most beautiful settings to enjoy a cocktail. Join Kelly for the best in exotic cocktails, tiki culture and live music. There’s even a cigar patio for those inclined!
La Descarga June 18, 2013 at 8:00pm Come on by, have a cocktail and say Aloha!

Tiki attire is encouraged but please, no flip flops or shorts.

Pages: 1 2 91 replies