Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kings Island Amusement Park Tiki Stuff

Pages: 1 29 replies

T

Hey, how come Kings Island Amusement Park that was in Cincinnati, Ohio had Tiki stuff?? Anybody got any photos or things to share? I couldn't find too much out and was wondering about it and maybe someone else is too.

Here's a nice set of Salt and Peppers I saw from there:

And those aren't some weak shakers either!! Classic Kona Kai style by OMC!

The peanut style Tiki Mug on the right:

And this Ship Fogcutter mug on the far right too:

Here's the back of these two mugs that was posted by Caffeinated last year:

Just wondering about why these were out there. Was there a Tiki Restaurant? Polynesian themed ride? Tiki Poles? Did they serve Mai Tai's as you walked around and went from ride to ride?? Not likely but who knows?

TabooDan

T

Here's some boring information about the Park but still no mention or clue about the Tiki connection, if any:

"Kings Island broke-ground on June 15, 1970 and first opened its gates on April 29, 1972 in what was then Deerfield Township (close to Cincinnati, Ohio), developed by the Taft Broadcasting Company. Taft Broadcasting took the name from the previous landlord, the defunct King Powder Company, which founded the town of Kings Mills for its workers. The site is between I-71 and the Little Miami River. The park remained in Deerfield Township until it was annexed into the city of Mason in 1997.
Kings Island served as a replacement for Coney Island, a popular park on the Ohio River about 10 miles (16 km) east of downtown Cincinnati. Although Coney Island was very highly-regarded and successful, frequent floods forced the landlocked park to relocate to higher ground, closing after the 1971 season, but has since reopened on a much smaller scale. Many of the rides from Coney Island were moved to the new park; the only attraction left at Coney at the time was Sunlite Pool, the world's largest swimming pool, which has operated every single year since 1926.
The park received some of its first nationwide promotion from two ABC sitcoms filming episodes there: The Partridge Family in 1972, and, more famously, The Brady Bunch the following year. While they do not mention the name of the park, they do call it "a new park outside Cincinnati." Coincidentally, the latter was produced by eventual owners Paramount".

It's still open and is one of the third most visited Amusement Parks in North America. Did these Kings Island relics even come from this particular Park?
TabooDan

The other issue you'll run into is that it's constantly being revisioned as it seems to keep getting bought and sold. I've grown up in Ohio and been going there pretty consistently since I was in grade school. I don't remember there being a tiki bar/restaurant in there but that doesn't mean it didn't exist, if not for a little while. I'll see what I can dig up. I know there are a lot of KI fan-sites that may have some run down on the history. I found that Fogcutter cup recently at a thrift store. I'd like to know more as well.

TS

Maybe some of the original partners/investors are still alive, and could be researched and emailed with said question? I find alot of the time, you can find someone of direct connection to an establishment, not far from where it was located...Most major library branches carry the local newspaper on microfiche, where you can get the names of the past owners/developers from the vintage articles.

This is fascinating stuff, TabooDan. I also grew up in Ohio and although I've been there I can't ever remember seeing a tiki. I'm going to ask a few family members if they recall anything before I start digging into some fan-sites.

T

Let's not forget the opening to my favorite TV show as a kid...The Banana Splits !

Filmed at Kings Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2WeRHqqXo&feature=related

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 12:50 PM

Correction: Banana Splits opening filmed at Cincinnati's CONEY ISLAND...pre Kings Island

I'm researching the tiki connection of Kings Island now. Tonight I'll go thru my collection.

LT

On 2010-02-08 12:36, tikiyaki wrote:
Let's not forget the opening to my favorite TV show as a kid...The Banana Splits !

Filmed at Kings Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2WeRHqqXo&feature=related

Uh-Ohhh, Chongoooo!!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 12:49 PM

Still working on researching the Kings Island shakers and I have to ask one important question:

Is it possible these items are souvenirs from Kings Island located in the Bass Strait off the coast of south Australia between Victoria and Tasmania?

This makes more sense to me. It may be entirely possible these shakers have nothing to do with the Ohio theme park.

Do the shakers actually say "Kings Island Cincinnati Ohio"?

OGR

TikiG, I think you are on the right track about not being from the park....I researched King's Island and came up with a restaurant in Lynchburg, Va that has been opened since 1976/77. I found this on their comment page..."My ex husband used to be a delivery driver there, and when they re-modeled the restaurant, they gave him one of those huge "tiki" style masks with the red light up eyes. That huge thing sat in the corner of my living room for a year. Kinda freaky." So then I called the restaurant and they STILL use TIKI mugs...no logo on these I was told by a "newer" employee that has been there for 7 years. I am going to call the original owner when she is in next...I will keep you posted. Big Bro, I know "Devolution Begins" :wink: Hope this helps TabooDan!

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2010-02-09 14:25 ]

E

Here is a pix of a set of Kings Island shakers from my collection.

I grew up in Ohio and visited this park often. Sadly, I don't remember any tiki- or Polynesian-themed areas.

I bought my shakers from someone in the Columbus, Ohio, area - and based on the locations of other Kings Island tiki stuff I've seen on eBay, I do think they're from the park.

Maybe someone out there has a collection of older postcards from the place. Like TabooDan, I will be searching the Web ...

Eric

Hey, thanks for all the responses on here about these items. It's cool to see how this goes as I know nothing about these items or where they come from. There are no any markings saying where these are from other than "Kings Island". No Ohio markings or anything like that.

I think Or Got Rum? may have solved the mystery with that Rest. in Lynchburg, Va.!! And they used to be or still have Tiki decor or atleast mugs??!! Sounds bang on to me! That route of investigation sounds promising! OMC did alot of different big and small restaurant locations and this may be another.

Thanks to everybody for the info!!

TabooDan

Edited for correction. Thanks TikiG, it was Or Got Rum? I meant.

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2010-02-12 12:13 ]

T

Taboo Dan -

Correction: It was Or Got Rum? who suggested the possible Virginia connection...

I'm still researching the theme park connection. So far:

What is interesting is the logo shown on the salt and pepper shakers ebtiki posted.

I have researched dozens of pre-Paramount Kings Island pieces of memorabilia and have yet to find a logo with the crown graphic above the word "Kings".

As you can see above, the standard logo graphic typically shows the Eiffel Tower...
None of these items features a crown in the logo.

Also, while the font for the letter K is similar, the font for the capitol I is quite different.

Still researching this topic and I'm determined to solve it soon!!?!

The mystery continues...

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-02-11 13:01 ]

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-02-11 13:09 ]

TikiG,
I am right there with you. I agree on not finding ANYTHING with a close logo, even on the opening guidebook....all seems very Germany/France/England oriented. I did find this info though...perhaps a stretch. From a Howard Johnson's Sharonville brochure from one of the group of hotels that was owned (including the King's Island Hotel) by a local corporation. The hotel group info was listed in the rear of King's Island opening guidebook....

"The Pleasure's Yours...Unlimited!
It's lush...it's plush...it's ultra modern, this glamorous,
sun-bright motor-lodge. And yet so moderate in price!
There are guest rooms for one or two or family groups.
For busy executives, the Granada and Barcelona suites
or the Summit or Diplomat for larger meetings.
For Honeymooners there's the breath-taking Garden Suite
and for escapees to the South Seas the Hawaiian Village
indoor swimming pool, terrace lounge, steam room,
children's splash pool, adjoining thatch-roofed
Mai-Tai cocktail bar. There's a Game Room...a Play Area...
a Patio...a Shimmering Lagoon!
it's all for you...it's all
FUN-Unlimited!

Hawaiian Village, a languid escape to the tropics: a paradise of temperature-controlled air; a pool and pool-side lounging retreat; luxuriant "loafing" at beachcomber prices.

Mai-Tai Cocktail Lounge, and bar just off the pool--featuring famous Polynesian snacks and "Honi-Honi" in bamboo shells: popular between-swims and after dusk rendezvous."

I am still waiting to call the owner of the Lynchburg King's Island.

Great work and keep digging.

The mugs shown in the pics that TabooDan posted were bought in the Cincinnati area where I live. I have 2 copies of that tattoo faced mug bought at different times & thrift stores.

There was not a tiki specific venue that I recall at Kings Island when I went there as a kid. The gift shops were full of random tourist items marked with the KI logos. I do recall this logo and I'm sure I've seen it on other non-tiki items over the years. Next time I see that specific logo I'll try to get a photo of it.

Here is a link to the 1972 brochure listing all the areas & attractions:
http://www.kicentral.com/history/ki1972/index.php
I can picture the Rivertown general store having had these items on one of their shelves.

Also a a map:
http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1972/pki197x_1.html

No tiki to be seen in these images though.

TJ

The Howard Johnson's was several miles away next to this place: http://cincinnativiews.net/images-2/Windjammer.jpg
It was not associated with KI and would not have had KI logo items.

Caffeinated is right.
These mugs did come from KI in Cincy or VA.
The logo is the same and I find them all the time here in Cincy.
But, I do not recall any Polynesian place.
It could have been from the International Restaurant.
The place had many types of food and drinks.
Perhaps it had tiki cocktails ala Hawaii or a Chinese restaurant.

T

I think I have the answer about the crown logo on the King's Island mugs.Across from Kings Island was The Kings Island Inn.Inside this hotel was a bar/lounge and a restaurant.I used to frequent this place back in the day when I used to drink but,I can't remember what "theme" it was.I just contacted the hotel,which is now called "The Kings Island Resort & Conference Center",and will contact the Human Resource Manager tomorrow.Just happens I know this person from a long time ago and she used to date my boss.I'll try to get as much information about these mugs that I can.I also work with a guy whose ex-wife worked there in the 80's.I'll post what I can find in a day or 2.Here's a picture of the matchbook.Look above the Kings Island name and "Coat of Arms" for the crown.

T

*** Update ***
Contacted a waitress who used to work at The Kings Island Inn in the early 80's and she said,they used to have a "luau" night every week.During this time they did sell Tiki Mugs.In fact she went on to describe the mugs but,didn't remember anything about the crown logo over the Kings Island name.Contacted another current employee and she's trying to get me some old pictures of the bar.I'll keep you posted.Now on to my next tiki quest.Who got the 30' Tiki posts and the shields from The Wild Animal Safari at Kings Island.I think I know who has it...

Checkout the tiki trash cans...

I saw one of those trash cans at a flea market a couple years ago. It was painted bright blue. I wanted to buy it but didn't have the cash on me at the time.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 7:25 AM

You know, I was thinking the old Wild Animal Safari section was a possible link to K.I. tiki memorabilia :)

Makes perfect sense.

Great investigative work Tiki-Tim! Keep us posted on any updates you may uncover.

Great research and pictures Tiki-Tim!!

I was thinking that Kings Island had a safari type connection, hence the mugs, spears, etc.

Cedar Point also had Jungle Larry's and they also sold tiki stuff too! I got a 3-foot mask there before they closed that section down to make way for more rides.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

WOW- great gumshoe skills TikiTim! Thanks so much for sharing.

Picked up this coffee mug that uses the same crowned logo as shown on the tiki mugs. It features the image of the amusement park's Eiffel Tower replica.

E

Great work, Tiki-Tim! I didn't remember the safari area until seeing your post, but I went several times as a kid; I wish I remembered the restaurant, which looks pretty cool.

FYI, Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio (http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp) bought the monorail that used to take visitors through the safari park; not sure if they bought the signage. (I live in New York now, and haven't been there in a few years.)

TJ

The Kings Island Inn had a Swiss theme.
With a giant cuckoo clock in the restaurant.

M
Mills posted on Fri, Aug 13, 2010 6:44 AM

I just picked up on this site and thread and was glad to see someone mention the lion country safari. The shops on international street were certainly full of all types of gift items in the 70's, including tiki items.

The "crown" over the Kings Island was an early logo. Here is an interesting video about the construction of the park. At the 0:40 mark, you will see this early logo. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FyFdoT-ck

[ Edited by: Mills 2010-08-13 06:47 ]

E

[ Edited by: ebtiki 2010-10-08 23:19 ]

E

Two pix from the Cincinnati Zoo; I suspect these may have come from the Lion Country Safari area:

TJ

Sorry to say that those did not come from the Lion Country Safari.

Pages: 1 29 replies