Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

2 Pre-Tiki California Spots-Any info?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I came across these 2 Matchcovers/books on eBay and I can't find anything in the search about them. Please excuse me if I am wrong. One was in National City and the other in Pittsburg, CA ???

On 2010-02-13 12:39, Or Got Rum? wrote:
I came across these 2 Matchcovers/books on eBay and I can't find anything in the search about them. Please excuse me if I am wrong. One was in National City and the other in Pittsburg, CA ???

I just got off the phone with Julie Holbrook, the daughter of Larry, who now owns ** larry's**, the great little dive bar on 10th just up from Harbor in Pittsburg (CA).Larry's has in operation since the 1930s.

Julie said her aunt (Larry's sister) worked at Club Tahiti and that it burned down in the early 40s. She was super busy, so we arranged for me to call back on Monday, to get more information.

OGR

I just got off the phone with Julie Holbrook, the daughter of Larry, who now owns larry's, the great little dive bar on 10th just up from Harbor in Pittsburg (CA).Larry's has in operation since the 1930s.

Julie said her aunt (Larry's sister) worked at Club Tahiti and that it burned down in the early 40s. She was super busy, so we arranged for me to call back on Monday, to get more information.

Haole'akamai, Great (and fast) research. Thanks for the info...keep us updated. It looks cool.

That Tahiti Cafe matchbook sure is an eye popper! So accurate in its depiction of native life! Never knew about it.

A

Vintage San Diego posted this ad for The Tahiti in National City on Facebook. Looks pretty cool!

Orgot,
The art on those matchbooks is awesome!
Mahalo for sharing

It looks like the IRS was after the owners of the Tahiti Cafe. It's a pretty dry legal document. http://www.leagle.com/decision/195210711ztcm96_182

Pages: 1 6 replies