Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Los Straitjackets, Big Sandy, & The Hula Girls at the Galaxy 4/09/10!! (NOW UPDATED WITH PHOTOS!)

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

Hey friends! We just got official word that The Hula Girls will be opening for the world famous surf instrumentalists, Los Straitjackets, and Anaheim rockabilly legends, Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Boys. My buddies, The Graceland Mafia, are on the bill too!

We're really excited to be playing this show, but a condition of us being on the bill is that we help sell tickets. If you'd like to see this show, please buy the tickets from me. Every ticket that we sell, helps us show that we can bring people to The Galaxy. In turn, it could help us with future shows there or at The Coach House.

The date is April 9th. Tickets are $13 presale and $15 at the door. If you buy tickets from me, they are only 10 bucks.
Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a link to pay through Paypal. The tickets will be mailed out either the same day, or the following day.

This is gonna be an amazing show. Don't miss it! And don't wait to get your tickets!

Some really cool video clips to get you going.....
Los Straitjackets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9-smAgSRI
Big Sandy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbMpcdFQ4w
The Hula Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYtk2EYsR4

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2010-03-07 23:48 ]

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2010-03-29 18:03 ]

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2010-04-14 21:49 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 19, 2010 12:21 AM

Sounds like a good show.

The Galaxy Theatre
3503 S Harbor Blvd, Santa Ana, California 92704

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-02-19 00:54 ]

The Galaxy is a GREAT venue - seen many shows there.

Sounds like it will be a good show and so close to home too.

T

Can't pass up a chance to see Los Straitjackets. Because of work, though, Friday night will make it a challenge for us to get from Burbank to Anaheim but if we can, I'll order up some tickets from you.

Great! By the way, the venue is actually in Santa Ana... It's a really great, big theater. Cool place to see a show. I can't even count the number of times I've been in that room. Good times!

By the way, I will have tickets available at Don the Beachcomer next Monday night. I'm also working on a poster for the show. They'll be hand screened in my garage, once I finalize the design.

If you were not aware, Lucky Designs is one of the main graphic artists for one of the biggest surfwear companies in the world. His art is HIGHLY collectible. Any flyer he makes is probably something you will want to own!

Sounds like a great show, guys! I'm putting it on my calendar!

Im game!

Sweet. We're just figuring out how many tickets we need, guys. Will definitely buy them through Spike when we have a number.

[ Edited by: Tiki Kitty 2010-02-19 16:58 ]

Thanks Mick, you're too kind....
'61 Surf, let me know when you'd like to buy the tickets and I can meet you somewhere to get them to you. No sweat at all... Maybe Don's next Monday?
Deanna, stoked you guys are gonna make the scene!

COOL!!

ahem, the LSJ's are not surf.
just quoting them.
:wink:

but I will be there for sure,
and I will get a tic from you on monday.

AND I will post this on the surf form,
and tell them if anyone needs tix to get it from you.

see ya soon.
Jeff(btd)

Thanks, Jeff........aaaand I'm gonna call them AND The Ventures 'surf', and you'll just have to accept it. I know they call themselves 'instrumentalists' and you're a stickler for it but....there it is.

Hey, by the way, would you mind explaining the difference between 'instrumental' bands and 'surf' bands? The Ventures did a ton of 'surf' music and so do Los Straitjackets.... What are the stipulations that define the different genres? I'm sincerely interested....

On 2010-02-19 10:38, Luckydesigns wrote:
Great! By the way, the venue is actually in Santa Ana... It's a really great, big theater. Cool place to see a show. I can't even count the number of times I've been in that room. Good times!

By the way, I will have tickets available at Don the Beachcomer next Monday night. I'm also working on a poster for the show. They'll be hand screened in my garage, once I finalize the design.

I like how you're "Old School-ing your Posters!!!"

in the Garage...

Awesome!!!

YES!!!!

Are you guys opening up for them on 4/10 in San Diego when they play at the Casbah? My brother and I plan on going to that show.

On 2010-02-19 20:30, Luckydesigns wrote:
Thanks, Jeff........aaaand I'm gonna call them AND The Ventures 'surf', and you'll just have to accept it. I know they call themselves 'instrumentalists' and you're a stickler for it but....there it is.

Hey, by the way, would you mind explaining the difference between 'instrumental' bands and 'surf' bands? The Ventures did a ton of 'surf' music and so do Los Straitjackets.... What are the stipulations that define the different genres? I'm sincerely interested....

Spike,
I will tell you in person at Dons on Mon.
as to not derail this thread anymore.
and cool to see you on SG101.
I was gonna post yer info on there,
and you beat me to it.

Cheers.
Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-24 20:41 ]

On 2010-02-19 21:38, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2010-02-19 10:38, Luckydesigns wrote:

I like how you're "Old School-ing your Posters!!!"

in the Garage...

Awesome!!!

It's crazy! he's totally going Jackson Pollack style, working off the floor! The posters he did for the upcoming Swingin' Tiki's/Los Mysteriosos/Hula Girls show at the Tiki Bar in Costa Mesa are fantastic, and I have seen the various stages of when he was making them...it's very labor intensive, with multiple colors of Auto paint, hand-cut stencils, the works......!!!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-02-20 11:17 ]

On 2010-02-18 22:47, Luckydesigns wrote:
Hey friends! We just got official word that The Hula Girls will be opening for the world famous surf instrumentalists, Los Straitjackets, and Anaheim rockabilly legends, Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Boys. My buddies, The Graceland Mafia, are on the bill too!

We're really excited to be playing this show, but a condition of us being on the bill is that we help sell tickets. If you'd like to see this show, please buy the tickets from me. Every ticket that we sell, helps us show that we can bring people to The Galaxy. In turn, it could help us with future shows there or at The Coach House.

The date is April 9th. Tickets are $13 presale and $15 at the door. If you buy tickets from me, they are only 10 bucks.
Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a link to pay through Paypal. The tickets will be mailed out either the same day, or the following day.

This is gonna be an amazing show. Don't miss it! And don't wait to get your tickets!

Some really cool video clips to get you going.....
Los Straitjackets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9-smAgSRI
Big Sandy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbMpcdFQ4w
The Hula Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYtk2EYsR4

just realized that is the date of my Mom's B-day.
wonder if she wants to go to a show as her gift?
:o

Jeff(btd)

Reminder: I'll have discounted tickets for this show at Don's tomorrow night. Ten bones.

My pants just got a little tighter.

What's the last day we can buy tickets from you? (sorry if I missed that in another post)

Not sure about the last day to get them, but the soon the better. I'm gonna try and be at Don's sporadically on Mondays if people want to buy them from me there.

I got a tic last night from Spike,
really looking forward to this show.

He's got a stack of about 50 tix he's gotta sell People.
So Lets all help them out

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-23 08:52 ]

Spike,
I hope you can make it to Dons either this sat.
or next monday. I need to buy at least 10 tix from you.

I texted a bunch of people, and some bit the hook.

let me know when you can go to Dons, so I can get the money from the ATM.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Screen printing posters in the next week or so...
Email me for tickets. $10...

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2010-02-25 22:02 ]

Spike,
did you get my PM?

Jeff(btd)

Was at Don's tonight to have a mai tai and sell tickets. They are going FAST. If you're interested in going to the show, PM me and I'll figure out a way to get you the tickets. Only ten bucks from me. Way better than paying the door price of fifteen bucks...

By the way, if I didn't already mention it, The Blue Hawaiian and more recently Tikiyaki Orchestra steel guitar genius, Gary Brandin, will be playing this show with us. We're super excited about having him join us!

I got 13 tix for friends last night from Spike,
Common everybody lets help him sell those tix.

Oh Spike, 30 min. after you left I got the other phone call I was waiting for,
I need 2 more tix from you.
see ya next monday.

Jeff(btd)

H

I'm IN!! I'm out of town until next week though...maybe my awesome neighbor (Jason W) will snag one for me??? I'll throw in a Lapu when I get home??

Hint taken...I'll get you one hopefully next Monday. Mmm mmm low cal Lapu Lapus!

H

Thanks Jason! Your the best neighbor EVER!!!!

Poster production has commenced...
$25 at the show! Limited edition, signed and numbered by Spike.

Screens and inks...

Production and the first color of the first colorway...

Ran out of drying room in the garage... Drying has spilled into the living room...
Second screen printed on the purple poster... The red is the other colorway...

can't wait to see the posters

Jeff(btd)

Production continues... just have the black screen to print tomorrow and they're ready to go. I'll bring one to Don's tomorrow night, Jeff. You're gonna be there, right?

Also, a reminder that tickets are still available. I'm running out, and will probably have to go to the Galaxy to have more printed, but I do have some now and they WILL be for sale from me at Don's tomorrow evening.

My goopy day today...

The, ahem, drying rack...

After cutting some corners in the production of these, I re-figued my costs and I'm bringing the poster price down to twenty bucks. The purple guy is an edition of 40 and the red one is only an edition of 10.

The completed poster will up on here some time tomorrow.

nice posters Spike,

Hope you sell them all.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks dude!

Actually, I have to update the pictures. There is one more black screen that I needed to print on the poster in those pictures...
I'll put the pictures up as the show gets closer!

And here they are! They just need to be trimmed. They'll be available at the show, signed and numbered in a small limited edition.

By the way, sorry for the glare and the blur. They're super crisp in person. See it to believe it! At the show. Email me for $10 tickets.

What time does the show start? I'm working that night, but still would love to come down and see as much as I can. Mahalo.

SIGH! The more time I spend on TC, the more I realize how much living on the East Coast sucks!

Doors are at 6:00 and the show starts at 8:00... The show will probably go till midnight, considering that there are four bands that night.

I cannot wait!

A reminder that the show is NEXT Friday, 4/9/10 at GALAXY THEATER, Santa Ana...
Los Straightjackets, Big Sandy, Graceland Mafia
AND The Hula Girls! NOW FEATURING Miss Ruby Chanpange & Miss Betsey Bosen hula-a-go-go-ing, on stage, with The Hula Girls!! You are not going to want to miss this show. Also, Mr. Christian Kessler (ex-Devil Doll and Vikki Tafoya) on the upright bass and the legendary Mr. Gary Brandin (Blue Hawaiians and Tikiyaki Orchestra) on steel guitar.

We have DANCING GIRLS now!!

CONTACT ME FOR SPECIAL $10 TICKETS and you can pay through PAYPAL!! We're selling out quick!!
[email protected]

ALOHA!

Here are the girls....

Miss Ruby Chanpange

Miss Betsey Bosen

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 31, 2010 10:45 AM

Be sure and order some tickets from Spike (Luckydesigns). This is going to be an awesome show.

T

We will be there . Spike called me to see if I could hook em up with some (REAL) Hula Girls to shake for ya during their set . I made some calls and my friend Ruby was more than happy . If you went to my Tiki show last year at the Bahooka you should remember her . She is a doll.

you're a giver ray.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

The Hula Girls would like to congratulate Miss Ruby Champagne in her winning the 13th annual Viva Las Vegas burlesque competition this weekend! See her dance with us, on stage, at the Galaxy Theatre this Friday night!! Congrats, Ruby!!

Spike,

John O was asking me if tix were still available at the door on Fri.
can you pm him, and maybe send him a ticket,
that way you get the profit, not the venue.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks, Jeff! I'll hit him up!

T

See spike, I told you she was great and a class act too .

Pages: 1 2 94 replies