Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Los Straitjackets, Big Sandy, & The Hula Girls at the Galaxy 4/09/10!! (NOW UPDATED WITH PHOTOS!)

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

so who is all going to this,
lets get a roll call going.

I know I sold about 25 tix for Spike,
but that was for mostly My surf crowd friends.

Jeff(btd)

I'm going, can't wait!

I will be down all the way from Sacramento with two in tow.

Can't wait, this gonna be great!

PTD

Well, I guess I'm going, but I really just want to take a sec to thank Jeff and Ray for helping out with this show.

Jeff sold a ton of tickets for us (which will help to secure another show at the Galaxy) and Ray introduced us to champion burlesque dancer, Miss Ruby Champagne! Thanks again for the help fellers, we really do appreciate it!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2010 9:46 AM

GROG will be there.

T

Cindy and I will be there supporting the Hula Girls (which are guys) and the Hula Dancers as well . I know Big Sandy as he was in one of my first calendar shoots at the puka Bar . It will be a very entertaining event .

We'll be there, along with several others. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'm feeling better by then. If not, I'll be dosed up on Dayquil and sounding like Demi Moore. Looking forward to it either way!

Spike sent you PM yesterday.I need to two tickets for show .
BTD or anyone else that has tickets let me know.

On 2010-04-07 12:07, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I know Big Sandy as he was in one of my first calendar shoots at the puka Bar .

Ahhh... so that was you?

So you know my other good friend Kirk Wall?

Have a good show Spyke!

Scott and I are totally there! After an insane month of work, I hope we don't fall asleep!

Jen

Just got my tickets , Im there!

H

I'll be there too:) I can't WAIT to see all the bands and be able to actually hang out and not have to work!!!

DZ

I'm there! Can't think of a better way to kick off the weekend before headin' out to Tucson!

T

Oh sorry Stacey, didnt you hear ? We all chipped in and bought you a little red jacket and black pill hat . You'll be parking cars all night .

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Apr 9, 2010 9:25 AM

On 2010-04-06 21:46, bigtikidude wrote:
so who is all going to this,
lets get a roll call going.

The Good: I'm working today in my company's Costa Messa office which is only 2.5 miles from the Galaxy theater. And I Paypaled Spike on Monday for a Ticket. :)

The Bad: That ticket is probably going to be delivered this afternoon to my Santa Monica mailbox 50 miles away. :(

The Good: I can drown my sorrows at DTBC on the way home. I should be there by 5pm if anyone wants to debate which TJB album was better. Most will say the "Whipped Cream Girl" one but I like the one that has the airplane on it. Remember, these days it's all about "Latin-style". :)

John,
why did you give Spike that address to send it to?

you should have asked him to put them at will call for you.

hmmmm???
trying to figure out a way to remedy this.

you could just show up and pay to get in at the door.
but then you would be burning the extra tix.

Jeff(btd)

John, it didn't get to you yet?? Shoots... I'll put you on the list and eat the extra ticket. No problem. Let me know if you're going to come to the show for sure.

WE are IN!!!! Made dinner reservations too.

Looking forward to it.

Roxie

Super excited to hear from all of the people who are coming tonight!
I really can't even explain how many times I've stood on the floor at the Galaxy and looked up at the stage. It must be well into the 50s by now... It's a super big deal for me and my band.
And while it won't be the same without Bong or Lucas Vigor up there with us, after only four or five practices, Mr. Gary Brandin and Mr. Christian Kessler are really adding something cool and different to the sound. Be sure to get there early as we will either go on as early as 8:00 or as late as 8:45.

Thanks again for all of the support! Cliches aside, I really couldn't be doing this without all of you guys.
Aloha, and let's show The Galaxy what the tiki community is all about tonight!

TM

While it's true that neither Bong nor I will be there, we will be there in Spirit! My replacement for this gig is an EXCELLENT bass player, and you will not be dissapointed! As you may know, Bong is in Arizona with the Tikiyaki Orchestra (driving there right now, in fact, with Marty Lush behind the wheel and the Jerky Boys on the stereo!) and I am on vacation, drinking very heavily.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 9, 2010 4:10 PM

On 2010-04-09 11:07, goddess-sunb wrote:

Who else is showing up early for dinner, and what time?

On 2010-04-09 16:10, GROG wrote:

On 2010-04-09 11:07, goddess-sunb wrote:

Who else is showing up early for dinner, and what time?

We'll be there at 7, when the doors open for dinner.

T

We just got home from the show and what a great set the Hula Girls had . Matt and the boys tore it up as the girls rocked the stage . Congrats guys and hurry up with that new CD .

J

GREAT SHOW !! My favorite songs were "Waikiki Moon" and "Volcano". If Surf Music can be Tiki music then the Hula Girls prove that Rockabilly (or Hula-billy) can be too. This was 110% Tiki Music !!

Also the sexy hula dancers were a nice touch. It was like an alternate reality mid-century Polynesian floor show.

Thanks for the T-shirt, Spike. I'll wear it with Tiki pride. :)

What a great night of music! Cool Venue, awesome crowd, and stellar talent! Sadly my gal nor my partner in crime could attend, but I had a blast and met some ultra cool people including some TC'ers.

Here is a video clip I shot of "The Hula Girls" performing Volcano for you cats who couldn't make it or you dogs that did but just want MORE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBd2Cd3-0zw

Be sure to watch in 720p for the best quality. Hey Hula Girls, I hope you don't mind, but I "borrowed" some art work for the beginning of the clip. Also dudes, its the entire song, so if this isn't cool, let me know and I'll pull it down. I plan on editing a "Hula Girls" sampler plate from last night next.

Mahalo for a killer show

Chris

Great video! Of course we don't mind you using that artwork or showing the whole video! Thanks a bunch for sharing!
What a great show last night! The dancers that Ray hooked us up with were amazing, our stand-ins, Christian and Gary, played flawlessly, and Dom and I did our thing a good as ever! I'm super happy with the whole show.

And the other bands were great too! Graceland Mafia did their non-rockabilly Elvis punk rock thing, Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys delivered like they always do, and Los Straitjackets just crushed it. What a great night of music.

And really, we couldn't have done it without the support from a big bunch of you TCers! Thanks again! And see you at the next show!
The Hula Girls are going into the studio for our first session TODAY!

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2010-04-10 09:18 ]

J

Hey Chris, I think I was standing right next to you in the pit. :)

Also a very interesting audience. There were hep cats, smokin' Betties, bikers, a small girl twirling around in a ballerina skirt, and some of the most um, "mature" hipsters I've seen at a show.

Quite a scene !!

T

Hey Chris , were you walking around in a blue and white hawaiian shirt ? I thought maybe I saw you also .

Hula girls put on a great show .For those of you who did not hang til the end, you
missed out on a incredible performance by Los Straightjackets.I had never seen them
play before and these guys blew me away!.I found out they have been playing for 17
years .

John-O, I was definitely in the pit. TikiRay, yah that was me. Hope to meet more of y'all at future gigs!

If you guys aren't already 'fans' of the Hula Girls on Facebook, join up for updates from the recording studio! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Hula-Girls/81807891157?ref=ts
So far, the recordings are sounding amazing!

This was a great show, the Hula Girls were amazing, they keep getting better every time I see them. Los Straitjackets were awesome as well, I've been a long time fan of theirs but this was the first time I had seen them. I can't imagine playing on that stage for an hour wearing a suit and a wrestling mask, it was hot as hell in that place! (Spike, I saw you sweating quite a bit up there!) Big Sandy and his boys were consistent as always...Dannelle and I were trying to count how many times we have seen him play, and we couldn't do it. Truly the nicest and most knowledgeable guy in rockabilly though. Nice to see the Galaxy back to its original glory...it looks almost exactly the same after the remodel. Great times, thanks guys!

Yeah, I was sweating like a bastard up there I can't imagine playing in a suit and a mask either!! Actually, I went to Brazil for Hurley, playing Ramones songs, and I had to wear a leather jacket and a wig for an hour of super fast Ramones guitar playing.... that was almost unbearable. And we did a show that was outside, during the daytime, in Florida for that band too. I seriously almost passed out on stage during that show. But every night in a wrestling mask and a suit?? Crazy!. They are sooo good though.

Thanks for the comments about getting better and better, Jason. I think that The Hula Girls are at our best on big stages for big crowds. We really rise to that challenge. And Gary, the owner of The Galaxy loved us too, so I think we'll be doing more at the Galaxy, in the future. In fact, we were throwing around ideas about a surf/ tiki/ exotica/ car show thing there. It would be really cool to have a band like Tikiyaki during the dinner crowd and ramp up the rock n' roll as the night goes on... Maybe that'll happen down the line...

Thank YOU again for a fun evening on Friday!!!

The Hula Girls were great - it was a NICE touch to see actual "Hula Girls" on stage.

The Galaxy is always a great venue to see a show, hopefully you guys will play there again.

Until next time. :)

Here's another vid from the night, the footage was too good to chop up. Rock it out Dominic!

The Hula Girls - Longboard Baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ4bYL_BTY

Cheersies!

Chris

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-04-12 14:11 ]

John,
did you stay for Big Sandy, and Los Straitjackets?
they both put on great sets/shows too.

Spike,
you guys were on fire that night.
you absolutely have improved a lot of the last year or so.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-04-10 00:25, JOHN-O wrote:
GREAT SHOW !! My favorite songs were "Waikiki Moon" and "Volcano". If Surf Music can be Tiki music then the Hula Girls prove that Rockabilly (or Hula-billy) can be too. This was 110% Tiki Music !!

Also the sexy hula dancers were a nice touch. It was like an alternate reality mid-century Polynesian floor show.

Thanks for the T-shirt, Spike. I'll wear it with Tiki pride. :)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-04-12 13:23 ]

TM

Wait until you hear our CD! You are not gonna believe your ears! We are only 30% done, and it already sounds great!

J

On 2010-04-12 13:19, bigtikidude wrote:

John,

Huh, there were more bands after the Hula Girls ?? I thought they were the headlining band. :)

Soon enough I guess.

A great night of bands. Pretty sweet to see Big Sandy jamming with Los Straightjackets on a few tunes....Now off to The Specials in a few nights....

On 2010-04-12 15:27, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-04-12 13:19, bigtikidude wrote:

John,

Huh, there were more bands after the Hula Girls ?? I thought they were the headlining band. :)

Soon enough I guess.

so you didn't stay for the later bands?
tsk tsk tsk.

Jeff(BTD)

J

Tsk, tsk tsk ???

According to my show diary, I first saw Los Straitjackets on Jan 16th, 1996 at the (now defunct) Alligator Lounge in Santa Monica. Dude, where were you 14 years ago ?? Hanging outside the Whiskey waiting to see some "hair" band ? :lol:

Plus you're supposed to give people crap for not showing support for the opening acts, not the main event.

Putting this back on track, Lucas I'm looking forward to the CD. Did you show up for that gig ?? :)

was never into hair bands, sorry to burst yer illusions.
stopped going to shows on the strip in the early 90s.

I saw LSJ's in 97 or so, so you go me beat there.
But because you saw them then, makes it ok to miss them now?
how does that work?
hmmmmm

just razzin ya man,

Jeff(btd)

here is the 2 videos that Chris did

Volcano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBd2Cd3-0zw
Long Board Baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ4bYL_BTY

anybody got anymore vids?

...or pictures too... We're looking for some pictures to put up on our Facebook page. Thanks!

All pictures taken by Chris Bonomo... Thanks, Chris!
See ALL of the pics at http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls

I was totally remiss in not posting earlier about what a great time we had at this show! Spike, I know I told you on FB, but you guys need your props here too. SO glad to see that the manager of The Galaxy is talking about having you back. You can count on us to be there! I wish we'd taken some pics of the band, but we watched you guys from down in the pit, and I didn't have my purse / camera with me there, so of course, the only pics we have are the typical mug shots taken at the bar as we got stupid. It looks like you guys got some great shots and video, though, so that's good. The girls were a fantastic touch. Was it just our imagination, or were you blushing just a 'lil bit as they softly shimmied to the sounds? :wink:

It was fun to see Big Sandy again too, and Los Straight Jackets were awesome. I agree with you all, much respect to them for rocking the masks and suits the whole time. I can't imagine how drenched with sweat they must have been! I did a bit of "glistening" myself.

Looking forward to the Bamboo Ben's gig Sunday!

lucky Big Toe getting to be the Meat in a Happy Chi-Tiki Kitty sandwich.
:o

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 94 replies