Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Why I think the best white rums are french

Pages: 1 12 replies

V

And I don't want to be chauvinist here, it's just a little provocation !!

There are not a lot of Centralites that like to sip white rums.

It's true that except in cocktails (like daiquiri), Molasses white rums (90% of the rums) are not very tasty by themselves.
BUT, as for the pressed sugar cane rums (most of the french carabean production), it's truly another experience. and to prove it, french carabeans drinks their rums raw, or with just a little sugar syrup, and/or a really little lime (sometimes just a inch of the shell).

I've tasted different rums in a new store that opened recently in Paris (over 180 different rums, heaven for me here), and some white rums are just amazing, just by themselves, like the St Etienne, the Bielle (from Marie-Galante), and others. I understand now why they don't use it in long cocktails, that would be a shame to cover that taste of fresh sugar cane, with flavours of vanilla...

On the opposite, how can you disguise the taste of white puerto rican rums better than with pineapple juice and coconut cream ?

What do you think ?

P

What I think is you need to shut up about your fancy new rum shop.
180 rums? That's crazy talk.

Another reason to come back to France.

One question, are escargot good with white rums?

V

You know what my friend ? I think I want to try to make a "poellé d'escargot déglacé au rhum blanc".

I've already tried to cook scallops with agricole white rum and that was delicious. Shrimps would be great too.

What is the address of this place, Virani?

V

Kevin, next time you'll be here, you'll love the place.
It's 20 rue Abbé Grégoire
75006 PARIS

Oh, and, now, he say they have 250 different bottles. Wow.

Here's the facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27339698418

M

I think using a grouping type of "white rums" is misleading when you are comparing Agricoles, Cuban/Puerto Rican styles, or say Jamaican 'white dog' rum. (Not to mention white Demerara or Rons)

And I agree, My favorite unaged Rums are easily Agricoles, namely Martiniques.

cmh

Bahhhh!!! I have never of those rums.

My curent white rums are Rhum Barbecourt (from Haiti, not France), Pyrat, Montecristo, Wray & Nephew OP and Cruzan coconut.

I actually do not care where the rum is frum. :)

Well, there you go... Barbancourt is a close cousin to those Martinique agricole rums.

V

Hey, I also don't care where the rum comes from, it's just a fact, because most sugar cane extraction rums are from french carabean.

Well, in fact, we can thanks the english who bloqued the exportation of sugar to France (Napoleon), so the french carabeans had to do something else with their sugar cane, and so, they made rum !

But that's true that the Barbancourt is great. Because it's made the same way with the vesou.

M

I don't care where the rum comes from either; I do care about how the rum is made:

What is the source of the distillation? (Molasses? Sugar 'honey?' Demerara Sugar? Fresh Pressed Cane?) -- each produces a different rum.

How is it distilled? (Column distilled? Pot distilled? Single/double/triple?) -- each again produces a different rum.

(for non-white rums) -- How is it aged? How is it blended?

This is often a problem with Rum - A white puerto rican style rum is a completely different dog than a martinique. We call them both 'Rum/Rhum/Ron,' but they are quite different spirits.

And let's not forget Cachaça which, in the United States anyway, is legally rum.

S

I'll have one of each.

Yeah, I'd like multiples of each :)

I love the ridiculous "rum/not rum" pedantic battle over cachaça. At least it gets the idea out there that the collection of spirits made with sugarcane is diverse.

cmh

Pages: 1 12 replies