Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tiki toy company - IDOLZ TOYS

Pages: 1 7 replies

G

Hey there everyone,

I want to introduce myself to the tiki community. We're a toy company that is currently selling multi-functional tiki action figures. I've made them because of my new fascination with tiki. I'm here to get involved in the tiki community and learn more about it.

Thanks!

Gruntor

H

I like the stacking gruntors.

On 2010-02-22 17:45, gruntor wrote:
I'm here to get involved in the tiki community and learn more about it.

A very honorable endeavor! It would have been more beneficial if it had been initiated BEFORE the production of the product.

Ho-keee then, here is the first lesson: Tiki and "Pink Zebra Style" don't mix. :D

G

I agree, pink zebra tiki is kind of...well...not so much tiki. Idolz has appeal to all kinds of people so we're trying to be creative with our toy waves.

However, being a new toy company we're exploring our market. Recently at the toy fair we've had lots of interest from tiki fans, so i'm here to learn about it more, and look into paint styles that would cater to your interests, like stone- or wood- styled paint designs, etc. We're also going to be doing a "blank" Idolz for people to paint up their own.

I really do like the tiki style, and i've seen some incredible things that people do. feel free to let me know what you're interested in here.

Or, also ask yourself. "WHY do I like Tiki style, what is it that draws me to it?" Is it the primitive, primeval and dark mood of the Tiki carvings, mixed together with SOME grotesque cartoon-like features? Or is it all cartoony characters, with bright colors and plastic, CGI looking smooth surfaces...?

Having to be commercial is one thing, but be careful to not miss what makes people be into Tiki in the first place. You could end up with a generic idol/monster/cartoon thing that has little left of what makes Tiki unique.

Looking into real Oceanic Art from Polynesia will help not to loose track, then looking at what was done in the heyday of Tiki in the 50s and 60s, and then what has been done today. Tiki Central is THE place for that.

G

Thanks, i have always enjoyed the beauty of the grotesque faces, and I'm amazed that the tiki styles vary across the pacific. Our toys mimic the easter island Moai, which are much simpler. There was a place i used to go in NJ called "China Paradise" which was completely tiki-themed, with grass huts, tiki mugs and large tiki sculptures in kind of a dark, colorful setting. It was creepy, mysterious and beautiful to me as a child, and i believe these were made in the 50s and (more likely) 60s. Not much left of the place now, save a few of the tiki statues...they revamped it into what seems like a diner. :(

G

For all interested, i sent some blank Idolz to a bunch of 8th graders and held a contest. If you want to see their idolz customs artwork, please visit http://www.idolztoys.com/contest.htm.

T

Kudos for actually taking an interest in what the "tiki community" actually thinks. As you said, toys have to appeal to a large cross section and sometimes you end up with an odd mix here and there but you never can tell what combo will make an impact with the masses. Obviously most on this forum are traditionalists and may not respond to the more extreme color combos. Of your current line the GRUNTOR Cammo color palette is the closest to what some of us would gravitate to. Like some of the other members have suggested, look through the forums and even check out some of the art and books mentioned here and you'll start to get an idea of what type of colors and patterns would be considered authentic. Maybe it will inspire you to start a "Retro" or "Classic" line of your toys! Good luck!

Pages: 1 7 replies