Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

plants ???

Pages: 1 19 replies

T

OK, so, plants are a huge part of the tiki bar aesthetic...

I have an outdoor space, and want to get some tropicals going....leafy plams....something to create a real tropical feel and add a little privacy.

A few things...

1. They need to be potted
  2. My area doesn't get full sunlight all day
  3. Climate : Socal, coastal...close to the baech, so it doesn't get too hot here, and we get some air moisture from the ocean, tho I'm about 1/2 mile away.

What do you green thumbs recommend ? I'm a notorious plant killer, so I'd like to get it right this time.

Here's my home space....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35623&forum=20&10

I know what kind of plants that you could have,
and they could make you some extra money when business is slow.
:wink: :o

Jeff(btd)

T

tobacco ?

Wacky Tabacky.

Banana trees, giant bird of paradise, elephant ear (taro), Phoenix roebellini(careful has some mean darts), Kentia palm

Im sure I will get flak for this but there are some really nice looking fake plants being made these days.

You cant kill em.... and sometimes you can use them as fill with real plants.

A little pledge on a rag and those fake bird of paradise and palms shine right up....

Your guests cant easily break them or damage them (accidentally of course).

I'll back ya, MM.

If your area really will not get much actual sunlight on the plant, a quality floral stem added to live foliage is pretty much the only way you'll achieve a pop of color. The "no direct sun" becomes and asset, since it won't fade-out the faux flora.

If you decide on Banana, I just pulled a keiki off our Blue Java (which gave us wonderful & tasty little bananas this year!).

A

Bamboo, of course. But you'll need a big pot for some varieties. There are so many different varieties you'd best check with a nursery for the type that will work for you.

Palms obviously do well in So Cal, I'm constantly pulling out little Mexican fan palms that sprout up both in the back and front yards because of many neighbors who have towering ones at their homes.

Someone already mentioned birds of paradise -- we have both these (regular and giant) and jade plant in our front yard. They take almost no water and grow like weeds. Both African, I believe, but certainly can help provide a tropical look. I think giant birds of paradise look a lot like banana palms, and are not as sensitive to cold weather.

Ginger also grows well. Just buy a root at the grocery store and plant it.

Hey Jim-

Considering the specs that you mentioned, I would surely second that banana plant recommendation. My vote would be for the ornamental/non-fruit bearing variety, seeing the sun restrictions you have. They might fare better than the alternate choice.

A few small windmilll palms wouldn't put you back too much and they're fairly hard to kill. The same goes for some root starts that you'd find at a "Hawaiian" themed store - some taro root, plumeria- stuff that you could easily pot, starting indoors and gradually bring outside.

Best of Luck~!

-Andy

G
gonzo posted on Wed, Feb 24, 2010 1:39 PM

I know a thng or two about palms.

Kentia palm (Howea Forsterina) is a hands down favorite. Kentia palm will give you the minicoconut palm look. Kentias are tough. Kentia palm will flourish in the shade in a pot. If exposed to full sun would do better in the ground. Dont overwater especially in the winter. Overwatering palm tree is probably more common than under watering. They rot and turn yellow.

Kentias will do well near the coast in the ground full sun. Inland they will need shade.

I dont understand why there arent more of these grown in Califonia.

Miracle grow or the little time delay fertilizers (osmocote or dynamite) per the instructions. Palms are light feeders so dont overdo it.

Coconut palms predictably die at 45 degrees. Home depot used to sell coconuts. They may still do. If you can keep it warm in the winter go for it. Besides Home depot has the dead plant turn in program. Just go get another free.

google junglemusic.com for about 200 hundred other palms that grow here. Cycads are cool too btw.

G
gonzo posted on Wed, Feb 24, 2010 1:50 PM

Most plants from the nursery are native to places that get more rain in summer and less in the winter. Almost all plants would do better here if you could keep them from overwatering from the cold winter rains we have here. Some rain gutters or a sheet of corrugated fiberglass overhead maybe a good idea in the winter to keep the cold rain from overwatering. Its the cold and wet combo that kills a lot of plants here in pots.

When you pot palms use "cactus mix" from the store with plenty of broken shards or pea gravel in the bottom to promote good drainage.

Pindo Palm (Butia capitata) is another good tough palm as is Guadalupe (Brahea edulis). Both of these are tougher than the kentia but the Brahea might grow a little too wide for your walkway. The Butia would fit well.

On 2010-02-24 08:51, Monkeyman wrote:
Im sure I will get flak for this but there are some really nice looking fake plants being made these days.

You cant kill em.... and sometimes you can use them as fill with real plants.

A little pledge on a rag and those fake bird of paradise and palms shine right up....

Your guests cant easily break them or damage them (accidentally of course).

Tery,

for your sitch..

Monkey has it.

maybe a few potted frens hangin here and thre too..

J

Banana trees are great, but you can only keep them potted for so long before they shoot up and out. Maybe some hibiscus and some small palms that can survive in a pot?

Taro is great. I have some runners of a Black Taro. I gave a whole bunch to Forbidden Island for their back patio area. They've lived in pots w/ no hassels and done well.

Here's a pic of the Mama Plants

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-02-25 08:56 ]

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-02-28 09:14 ]

T

Those taro look great...how long does it take for the runners to grow to a decent size ?

They took about a year to get established.

Our NorCal Winters make them die back until Spring, but then they'll have 3 ft long "ears" and are flowering by end of July.

I vote for Banana Trees as well. Buy a packet of 100 seeds and start a germination and planting rotation.

I'm a plant killer (not by choice...it must be genetic), so I also support artificial...but good quality. That banner add running on TC looks like they have some nice palms.
http://www.oasisillusions.com/

I have a few fake plants in my home: Banana in the Lounge, 5 trunk Palm in Master Suite, Bamboo in Living Room. If I wasn't a serial plant killer, I would go for the same type of live plants.

Palms...Palms...Palms...luvem!

TT

Bamboo for sure. I have golden and marble in pots. I have one long planter with the marble and it makes a nice living partition. I may be able to ship you some in a poster tube, since we are both in CA. Besides, if it looks like a poster, who is to say it isn't a poster?!

Shell ginger would be good too. Variegated leaves-green with yellow. I just moved mine a few weeks ago, but might be able to ship a rhizome of that, too. I also have white ginger.

Birds would be fantastic-they bloom when the weather cools down, so faux blooms from Michaels might be the best thing to suppliment the plant with. They would look fantastic with the MCM apartment. A giant bird would look great out there, too. You can get both at Home Depot or Lowe's for cheap. I had one in a container on my deck in Walnut Creek for years. Now it's in the ground here in Sacto and blooms nicely every year.

Bromiliads are fun, but kinda tricky.

We had a banana in a pot (dwarf cavendish) for 3 years. Put it in the ground last fall. It snowed, so we don't know if it will come back, but we are still hoping! The trunk is not mush, so we may be in luck. You could get a small banana. Just be careful that it doesn't tip over when it's windy!

I've got red and green cordylines, which look a bit palm-like. I trim up the leaves to force growth and so there is a trunk.

Maybe a gardenia? Don't get vetchii-it isn't worth it. Try Mystery or First Love. I just got another one, but can't remember which one it is-they are great to float in drinks and smell great!

That's about all I can think of now. If you can get a plumeria, go for it. Bring it in during winter. They are tricky, but you should be able to grow them since you are in SoCal.

:drink:
Tacky

T

Wow, lots of info there Tacky...thanx...I'll take some of that bamboo if you'd like to send it...PM me !

Pages: 1 19 replies