Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Someone might be interested in these?

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

D
L
laney posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2003 6:21 PM

Is this your auction? If not, I wish people here wouldn't post current ebay auctions. I hate to be a killjoy but part of the fun of ebay is the hunt. Everyone gets that special rush when they come across a listing with misspelled words, poor description, or an item listed incorectly. I have found "Hawiian" bargans as well as "totem" tikis. I was watching this pair of lamps already as I collect lamps. I thought I could get a deal since the buzz word "tiki" is missing.

I notice you do this often and I know you may be just trying to be a nice tiki friend but it SUCKS when I spend a lot of my time hunting for hidden bargains on ebay only to have someone tip off bidders who collect the same things! If you want the item bid, if not, sometimes keep it to yourself. Thanks a lot :( :(

[ Edited by: Laney on 2003-04-29 18:53 ]

DawnTiki, thanks so much for posting that auction! You rule!

D

Sorry if I have ruined anyones fun. I hate being the killjoy too! I have thought twice about listing items I stumble across on Ebay for the very reason you said, keeping it a secret so someone gets a deal! The only reason I posted this was because Tiki wasn't listed in the description. I was just trying to help a brother/sister out, being the TIKI FRIEND that I am I thought I would share. Honestly I knew you (Laney) collect lamps, your the reason I posted this. LOL! Oops! I have won auctions because others (not the sellers) have posted info on the TC board, and for this I say Mahalo. As far as me posting ebay finds alot? I don't know, maybe more than some, not as often as others. So, I will promise to SOMETIMES keep my ebay finds to myself. :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-29 19:15 ]

T

Dawn I've got no problem with the postings of Ebay bids either. "This is a forum specfically for posting about eBay Tiki Stuff..." Sure I like to hunt for stuff as well. I have posted some things that I felt others may have been interested in. BTW anyone see the WITCO plaque that was up for 2 days and then just disappeared? I figured I wasn't going to win it, but then I got an email saying my bid was cancelled as the seller posted it wrong? Hmmmmmmm!

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-04-29 19:11 ]

A

Check out these neat two completed auctions.

1961 catalog of Hawaiian souvenirs. Notice how the scanned page includes a whole Treasure Craft section.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2002&item=3220462322&rd=1

1940s scrapbook from a serviceman in Hawaii, with lots of pictures of stars and Hawaiian scenes. Like wow!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35804&item=3219700216&rd=1

-Randy

E-Bay posting. If I'm trying to get something off ebay experience has taught me not to post it until after the bidding is done. But sometimes I come across things that are cool but out of my price range or not my size or whatever and I sometimes post em up. It's not intended to ruin anyone elses day but instead to toss the item over to one of my fellow TCers. Part of the hunt is the possibillity of being beat for an item. Sometimes it happens.

T

All's fair in love and Ebay! You could also send a private message to members you might think are interested - I sent emspace a dirt cheap vancouver tiki mug auction a while back, cause I already had the mug.

But I think it's good to share. And it's good for the seller too!

I'm with Sam on this one. It's far more likely that the difficult-to-find item will go to a Tiki Centralite if posted here, though it might just tread on the toes of someone who has spotted it, and decided to keep it for themselves.

I recall getting an abusive e-mail back in the Yahoo days when I alerted the board to the 2nd edition Shag mugs, because someone had been checking the Tiki Farm site every few hours for news of the mugs, and didn't want anyone else to know about them. But the end result was that a fair number of Tiki Centralites got their mugs because of my post, so I think the good always outweighs the bad in such cases.

Trader Woody

Dawntiki,

I appreciate when other members let us (as in all of us) know about ebay listings. I also think it's perfectly fine that you let others know.

Just my stupid, dumbass, ignorant, selfish, 2 cents worth...

I enjoy when people post listings that we might be interested in as I don't have time to hunt around ebay as much as I'd like. I know it's always fun to get a bargain, but this is the forum for collecting and ebay, and so I don't agree with telling one not to post because someone else was secretly watching them. Keep posting DawnTiki and I will too!

waikiki

If anyone is interested in the lamps listed above you may want to ask the seller if they are cords that fit a European outlet only.

Then again maybe a converter would work.

Nope, the cords can't work outside the UK and you can't fix 'em! Ok, I made that up, because I NEED these lights!

Trader Woody

I appreciate it when you guys point out an item. If someone else has to pay a little more that's how it goes, it's an auction!

keepin' it tiki
Sneaky

D

I totally get Laney's point, you hunt for a treasure then you watch and wait with bated breath for days sometimes, hoping beyond all hope some dolt doesn't come and screw up the auction for you. I love the thrill of getting the deal too! But it is an auction and Tikifish was right...all's fair in Love and Ebay. :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-30 13:11 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2003 3:44 PM

Wow, I've never met so many people who love to pay MORE for items! All those who like the sharing of current ebay potential bargain listings feel free to put your ebay ID below. I'm curious how many of you will tip off ALL TC bidders on items YOU would like to bid on! See you are BS.

I have sent private messages to some people when I've found an ebay auction for an item I know they are looking for but I don't think it would be nice to post to everyone "here it is Al, I know you are looking for this!" I've also had people send me private auction alerts. That I really appreciate.

As well as the seller, if he can't do the research or take the time to properly describe items and spell correctly, that's his loss. Have any of you gone to garage sales or flea markets, found a rare item for $.50 and turned around to yell out "Here's a real bargain! anyone want to offer more tan me!" or paid more for an item just because "it's good for the seller" Please people! How many of you same people have found a poorly listed item on ebay and NOT shared it with all your TC friends, hypocrites!
Many times, I've seen ended ebay bargains posted here, like that Witco table and stools set, and wished I'd seen it. I know a lot of us hunt on ebay. Some are very good at spotting things-bravo to their skills. But if you "don't have the time" to hunt on ebay, your loss. I work nights so can't get up early to hit garage sales, my loss. Any of you hypocrites want to hunt garage sales early and offer TC people your finds? I'll up the price you paid for tiki finds $.25-$1.00. Sounds good!

[ Edited by: Laney on 2003-04-30 16:26 ]

W

Your passion is hilarious and the lamps are ugly.

-The Negator-

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2003 4:38 PM

That's exactly what I collect-UGLY lamps! I don't know how many times someone has called my lamps hideous. I love it!
Another thing people have gotten to know about me is, I say what I feel. I'm not one to go along with the majority, excuuuuuse me :wink:

M

All's fair in Love and War...and bargain-hunting.

On that note, I once fancied this girl. Totally in love with her, she worked at a shoe store. I'd go there and buy shoelaces, just as a pretext to talk with her ended up with like 17 pair...useless. All summer long, I am trying to get to know her, spending much needed discretionary income (I was seventeen, mind you) on assorted, and unecessary shoe products. Laces, shines, polishes, trees, the lot.

Gradually, I got to be friendly with her, small talk and the like. You know, "how's work" and "do you like...". Really hitting it off in a platonic, but not happy about it, way. Figured I was just laying the foundation, setting up the chance to get a date. Foaming the runway as they say. Hey, I was seventeen, and not a smooth seventeen either, so cut me some slack. Anyway, the small talk stuff lasted a while and a real friendship bloomed.

Wouldn't you know it, lucky me finally got the nuggets up to ask her out on a real date. She accepted, the effort paid off, handsomely. One date turned into three, soon we were going sort of steady. To say I was happy is to belittle the sheer joy and excitement I experienced. What was a troubled time, you all been there you know what I am saying, became life as I thought it should be lived.

Weeks and months went by as love bloomed bewtwen us. Thoughts of a life together entered my mind. I know, we were very young, but when it feels right you just know it, and I knew it. My life was taking shape, the right college, then law school, marriage, three toe-haired kids. The American Dream. My dream, man.

Alas, all was not wonderful and meant to be, or at least as wonderful as I presumed it was meant to be. No, trouble was on the horizon and I was too blind in love to see it, although perhaps I should have, hindsight and all. My young happiness and optimism for a bright future were soon dashed on the rocks of heartbreak. The visions of joy and familial success quickly replaced with an unending avalanche of despair and confusion.

She dumped me for a guy with a Camaro, and not even a Z-28.

My existence torn to shreds, my reason for being snuffed out like so many Camel unfiltereds. Months of courtship, not to mention nearly $200 in uneeded footwear items, cast away as if yesterday's newspaper. Alone in my misery, one thought repeated in my mind. It as something my Dad, a former Marine Drill Instructor, told me years before, "All's fair in love and war, son. All's fair".

So, with those words of wisdom from my combat experienced father I took out to find this college-aged, fop-haired, gigolo that stole my sweetheart. Searched and searched for this ruiner of all things good and right, finding him by his apartment waxing that Camaro. Then I shot him.

"All's fair in love and war, son. All's fair. Oh, and aim for the gut."

Thanks, Dad.

Midnite,
Absolutely funny story! Man, what are doing in the legal field? (Unless that's BS?). You seem to have more of a future in the comedic field - making good money to boot! Funny posts, even funnier replies and funny auctions too!

Dude, you crack me up!!! :lol:

On 2003-04-30 15:44, laney wrote:
Wow, I've never met so many people who love to pay MORE for items!

See you are BS.

How many of you same people have found a poorly listed item on ebay and NOT shared it with all your TC friends, hypocrites!

Any of you hypocrites want to hunt garage sales early and offer TC people your finds? I'll up the price you paid for tiki finds $.25-$1.00. Sounds good!

Jeez Laney, a bit touchy aren't we? Didn't you just post a few days ago commenting on 'how some posters here aren't sensative to others feelings...'. I'll look, but I think it was one of Squawkers postings.

You mentioned the word hypocrite a few times above. A freudian slip?

A

Midnight,
Your story has soul (sole?). I liked how you didn't pussy foot around, you were no "loafer", you "pumped" her for info. Then came the "slipper"-ee slope of love. Then when her heart "flip-floped", you got the "boot". That "sneaker", in the Camaro, should be beaten like a "mule". I want to "sock" him. But can we afford to "Payless" for the high cost of love.

C'est l'amore,
Mahalo,
Al

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2003 6:13 PM

On 2003-04-30 17:46, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Jeez Laney, a bit touchy aren't we? Didn't you just post a few days ago commenting on 'how some posters here aren't sensative to others feelings...'. I'll look, but I think it was one of Squawkers postings.

You mentioned the word hypocrite a few times above. A freudian slip?

Well Bong, my nemesis, who knows and remembers, what I've said, what I drink, who I've dated, hurls threats, and is starting to freak me out, that is taken out of context. I, in that other post, I referred to people who start trouble and conflict. For many, that is the sole purpose of their posts, Thor especially comes to mind, but there are many others-Hulalula and Madtiki are two we don't hear from often. While I'm quick to state my opinion, I am rarely insulting, I'll admit to insulting a few. I also feel I have a lot to give to this board as I am a collector, make and share my decor and artwork, patronize tiki joints, offer advise on things I know, try to attend as many of the events as my schedule will allow, and hell, I own the book. I have made many friends here, some I talk to daily. :P

With the use of the word hypocrite, I only wanted to point out that people will think it's great for others to post auctions they didn't find but never post one they want to bid on, not thinking there may be someone else who spent time searching for that illusive bargain on ebay. Screw you, not me, haha, attitude. I also notice no one is putting up their ebay ID. I know there are others who feel as I do-who have prayed no one posts this auction on Tiki Central. I just say what I feel, sorry that is so threatening to some.

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-04-30 18:15 ]

E

On 2003-04-30 06:46, tikifish wrote:
You could also send a private message to members you might think are interested - I sent emspace a dirt cheap vancouver tiki mug auction a while back, cause I already had the mug.

...and I thank you again, dear Tikifish, cuz they arrived today in good order. So much nicer than getting the phone bill...

cheers,
em

Laney,

Don't flatter yourself. I have an odd ability to remember quite literally every thing anybody has ever said or done.

I find a strange enjoyment out of reminding people what they may have previously stated, when they make a statement that contradicts previously stated statements.

Make memory your friend!

Alnshely, "very punny"!I'm sure in time Midnite's heart will "heel"; at least he got the satisfaction of dispatching his "arch" rival.....

On 2003-04-30 18:13, laney wrote:
I know there are others who feel as I do-who have prayed no one posts this auction on Tiki Central.

And there are others who are glad that it was posted. Me for example - the proud new owner of two Maori lamp stands that will actually work in the UK!

Cheers DawnTiki!

Trader Woody

Congratulations Trader W! Glad you got the lamps due to the posting! And Laney, I wouldn't start the name calling if I were you, us "hypocrites" think that's hoity toity. Take it easy.

waikiki

D

Excellent Woody! You'll have to post some pictures of the "Infamous" lamps after you get them in their new home. I am happy one of my Peeps from TC won the auction, thats why I posted the listing here

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-01 08:26 ]

T

I thought eBay was a public marketplace...??
I dunno maybe I'm wrong.

If it's out there on eBay, then it's out there for the world to see (and bid on). I say spread the word let others enjoy your labor if you find something, share away. Let me reap the benefits of your "hard work" because I don't really have the time (or the gumption) to go "hunting"
I dunno maybe I'm lazy. Yeah, that's it I'm not wrong I'm just lazy.

PS: My TC and eBay IDs are the same.... sshhhhh don't tell anyone.

C

I'm with Tiki Mug on this.

Psst. My eBay, AOL and TC monikers are all Cultjam. I'm the one who keeps losing Sneaky Tiki mug auctions.

T

My Ebay name is Turbotikigod & I am the only person bidding on tiki stuff on Ebay.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2003-05-01 14:39 ]

M

My Ebay name is:

Flounder

No, it's not Flounder. I am "Dan" from danlovetikis. Ok, I lied again, I am really Sven Kirsten. Oops, sorry I have a problem with the truth, low self-esteem and all.

My true Ebay name is Anne Morrow Lindbergh, and I can't find my baby! No no, all wrong. I am "Dingo" as in the dingo ate my baby. I gotta get some help. "Help!" like the Beatles, ya that's right, now I remember.

I am the Walrus. Unh uh, I hate the Beatles, that makes me hypocritical. Yes, I am Tiki Hypocrite. The truth is out, I have been outed. That's right, I am gay!

Gay gay gay...very gay. Show tunes and wine spritzers for everyone! Hey sailor, do you want to dance? Let's dance all night, until midnight. Ooohh, you're a big strong sailor, are you a captain? Well, buy me a spritzer and you're the captain of my heart. Weeee, I feel like a princess, like Cinderella.

I'm Cinderella, dancing wth my sailor captain until midnight...

Oh, now I got it, I am cpt.midnite, yep.

But, buy me spritzer and I'll be your fairy princess, weeeeee!

midnite :drink:

T

Whatever midnite's having, I'd like several, please.

M

Midnite-

Step slowly away from the PC...walk downstairs and go outside...breathe the fresh air...isn't that nice?...feel the sun on your skin...doesn't that feel good?...there, there: all better.

All Ebay and no sun makes midnite a kooky boy.

-martin

J
JTD posted on Thu, May 1, 2003 4:21 PM

Midnite,
I thought for sure you were going to own up to being "Squawker", too.

• JTD
MC

I apprecite the tip-off too. It's like when a friend spots something on the sale rack for you which you missed before. I appreciate their help and both of you can share in the excitement of the find.

M

The meds are running out and I be needing some do-ray-me to refill the prescriptions. Help a dude out and peruse the board of faire. This sale is so big...HOW BIG IS IT?....

it's so big compasses do not function properly around it.

it' so big the Dept. of Justice is investigating it for anti-trust violations.

it went condo.

Really Big Tiki Sale

Part II to be posted Sunday. The holidays are coming, eventually.

midnite

On 2003-05-01 08:17, DawnTiki wrote:
You'll have to post some pictures of the "Infamous" lamps after you get them in their new home.

Indeed I will. I'd like to think that they are going to a good, appreciative home. We see few enough decent Tiki stuff over here as it is, so to get hold of these beauties which will actually work over here is terrific. And no, I'd have never have come across them if it wasn't for the original post. I'm one of those who flits into eBay pretty regularly, but for a very short time, so anything with a description less subtle than that of a brick zooms straight past me.

Trader Woody

C

Going, going with no bids and 9 hours left. Doesn't seem smart to force an opening bid of $28.45.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3606153121&category=3893

M

:music:

"Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it "

If Mary Richards were still alive, she'd bid on these items. Why? Love...

"Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have the town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all "

Midnite's Tiki Craptacular

M

Way cool lamp here. Too bad I don't collect lamps, otherwise I'd be a bidding. For lamp collectors though, this is dy-NO-mite!

Tiki Lamp Vegas Car Show/Mondo Tiki

For mug collectors:

Big Tiki Sale

T

I know who Danlovestikis is. I will tell you for a price. I have also sold to Edgeoftexas. I am like the CIA. I know everyone's business.

Hey that "Tiki Lamp Vegas Car Show" would be really easy to make, all you'd need was two chinese hats, some bamboo and cloth.

Unless it has a BUY IT NOW option i never win stuff on e-bay, but my thrift-store-tiki-finding-luck makes up for it. On avaerage I find a tiki item once every two weeks, not bad for living in scotland.

T

On 2003-05-05 06:59, tikifish wrote:
I have also sold to Edgeoftexas. I am like the CIA. I know everyone's business.

Tikifish,

email me with who 'Edgeoftexas' is. Come on, you know I like you!

M

Unless it has a BUY IT NOW option i never win stuff on e-bay

I hear ya, I hear ya. Am thinking of changing my Ebay handle to "underbidder"...cause that is all I do of late. Plus, the Ebay selling biz is slowing down, so we're losing on both ends. Frankoma War God mugs, Hoffman Kahiki, Bob Lee Islander...etc, losing every one. Feel like not going on, ending it all. Gee, the G.G. Bridge is so close, so pretty, so high up.

I'll do it, I'll do it!!!

Bid a Tiki...you may save a life

At the risk of stirring up an old hornet's nest, one similar to the cool old lamp bases described in this post has now come up for auction. If you read through this whole thread, you'll see that I won the original two lamps. This one isn't one of mine, and it's not my auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60375&item=3718331181&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Trader Woody

D

I'm new to Tiki Central and I have to admit, when I started reading all the posts covering this subject it was "like playing cards with my brother's kids". But, shamefully I admit - tis very entertaining!

Bartender! I see light through my glass - mind the gap! The bottle stands near you!

[ Edited by: Dano on 2004-04-21 10:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 49 replies