Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Rusty Key

Pages: 1 17 replies

P

You know that Fatutu mug you got? Here's the 6 foot prototype:

Oh my, Isn't that Basement Kahuna's first tiki? Why yes... yes it is.

And look that's a Lake Surfer:

Inspired by Eli Hedley - a large chunk of wood, sea shells, coconuts, bamboo... stuff you'd find on a beach as art:

Lots of good food - crunchy ribs - poke salad - 3 pepper, pistachio and pineapple fried rice - buncha other stuff:

Jab & Pab... and Tall Mark...with a delicious Concubine in hand:

A Haole Kat in the house.

GlamJ on snare. RustyKey soaking in the vibe while someone plays his new Mele Baritone Uke. AND INTRODUCING... tikiconvert - on the thumpin' slappin' boomin' upright.

Chikitiki pointed me to Witco look and thus the trim around the base of the bartop...routed out in a standard design and burnt with a torch and stained.

Unga Bunga and Traderpup mentioned bindings around the joints.

susane mentioned a tapa pattern which we've kind of started and will continue this summer with stencils carved out of sweet potato(e)s. I wanted the inside of the ceiling beams random and the outside and bar-beams more uniform just to break it up a little. I also "weathered" the posts and will hit them with the torch again once the patterns are laid on.

A whole scene here. Weapons by Basement Kahuna. Neck-tikis by purple jade and tiKitOnY. Cabinet frame by Monkeyman. Music by King Kukulele and Tikiking. Lots of mugs by smogbreather. I actually got MY martiki glasses FROM martiki himself. Swizzle sticks from TikiBree, Kailuageoff, Swanky,Tiki Kiliki, and congamike. Book of Tiki (on lower right of shelf) by bigbrotiki.

Yes, we are ohana.

[ Edited by: pablus 2010-02-25 19:55 ]

P

[ Edited by: pablus 2010-02-25 19:37 ]

[ Edited by: pablus 2010-02-25 19:40 ]

P

[ Edited by: pablus 2010-02-26 00:05 ]

Awesome pad!

..and nice theremin!

a true tiki bar paradise! great art, drinks, friends, and fun. fatutu rules!

p.s. and great food too!

I vow that one day I will make it down to the Rusty Key, Pablus.
Until then I will have to enjoy your Aloha Spirit at Ohana again.

Seeing that Lono brings back memories of Hukilau 2005, when you made a beeline towards him and said "MIne."
I'm happy he has such a great home.

P

I thought you were coming down for the False Idols thingie?
No?

You can stay with me anytime.

V

Ahhh, great memories of that place, and that special tiki party. What a nice home tiki bar.

Looks like an amzing place. I promise we'll get there one day!

Wow...would love to have a drink there. FABULOUS!!!

T

Looks like you have a nice place and better yet, cool thing to place in it. But I did notice that you are in need for some longer straws. TakeCAre teaKEY

On 2010-02-28 14:06, teaKEY wrote:

Looks like you have a nice place and better yet, cool thing to place in it. But I did notice that you are in need for some longer straws. TakeCAre teaKEY

Oh, he has longer straws, but he only uses them when the company isn't as Beautiful.

*On 2010-02-25 19:34, pablus wrote:*Jab & Pab... and Tall Mark...with a delicious Concubine in hand:

You use the Jab... as Decor?!?! Now I am impressed!

P

Yeah we found the ultimate source for long straws: 7 Eleven.

Stealing is fun.

Yes, we borrowed thejab from Oakland for a tour of Florida.
Kinda like museum tours of King Tut's Treasures - only hipper.

On 2010-02-28 21:57, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2010-02-28 14:06, teaKEY wrote:

Oh, he has longer straws, but he only uses them when the company isn't as Beautiful.

LOL!

Beautiful place Pablus! I totally dig it.

P

As all things outdoors in Florida... The Rusty Key has gotten a beatdown. The screen over the pool is being replaced and when finished, will spark us to refresh the entire area. The Fatutu tiki has had about 150 dollars worth of resin poured onto it but it didn't matter. It's crumbling away but looks kind of cool. We'll see what happens as we reclaim our languishing lounge. Pics soon of the remodel process.

H

Looking forward to the pictures.

Pages: 1 17 replies