Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hale Nalu

Pages: 1 29 replies

Hale Nalu. Established March 2007

A mix of my surf and tiki lifestyle, Hale Nalu celebrates the surf culture of 1960's Hawaii and Southern California, and the heyday of classic tiki bars of the past. Every tiki bar I have visited has been filed away in my memory and is expressed in some part of my lounge.

Hale Nalu is in one half of the basement of my 1965 3 bedroom ranch. There were existing walls and a bar that I stripped bare and started new from.
Just 10 inches behind the bar is my tiki carving studio. Much of the work I did for the bar didn't have to travel far.

If I couldn't find it or buy it, I made it. I would say 80% or more of the room's make up was built from scratch. Except for the Witcos, every tiki I have was carved by me at some time over the last 9 years.

My art is in constant rotation on the walls, and I have started a nice collection of other's art. A bunch of things have been changed out and added over the last 3 years, so here are some new pictures...

:up: Down the basement stairs to Hale Nale, there are a few of my pieces on the walls along with some of my favorite framed Thor prints

:up: Looking into Hale Nalu

:up: The bar area

:up: Bamboo shelves full of mugs and collectibles

:up: 7 foot Ku and a rattan shelf with more collectibles

:up: West wall with vintage surf photos

:up: Rum and Spice crates that I created for decor

:up: The Fountain Garden with a resin bamboo fountain

:up: Looking under the thatch bar canopy

:up: Looking out from behind the bar to the West wall

:up: Looking out from behind the bar to the Fountain Garden corner

:up: Behind the bar

:up: Bar top created from wood planks, sand and seashells with a 1/4" thick poured resin on top

Place looks very classy, Lake, sure helps being a master carver!

P

Man.

Whoa.

umm.... just wow. if someone started a series of home bar postcards, this would be on one of 'em. that ku is a real gem. nice work!

One of the best! Love this place. I hope to see it first-hand someday (but I don't mean that to sound like I'm inviting myself over).

I agree...one of the best...always love checking it out...AWESOME and truly and inspiration.

Me likka alot...very COOL tiki pad .

T

Totally stunning!!!

T

VERY Tiki, VERY Groovy Lake!

Thortiki

It's mai tai!

T

in-freakin'-tikin'-credible!!!

Your amazing place was an inspiration to me from early on. It's just beautiful and has the perfect atmosphere.

H

Just perfect.

Thank you all for your kind compliments!

S

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 25, 2010 10:47 AM

This is such a gorgeous home bar. GROG wish GROG could see it in person. Why you live so far away?

W

Thanks for bumping this post GROG, I hadn't seen it yet.

Dave your space is awesome.

What a fantansic set up, you rock.

Grog, you're welcome anytime! Why do you live so far away? Thanks my friend for the kind compliment!

Chris and tikidudley, thanks for stopping by... glad you like the bar!

Very beautiful space, wish I could build one like it!

Switching out some old with the new... glamor shots to come...

Wow man!!!!! This is to cool. Your collection and work is awesome!!! If only I was born when there were more cool tiki bars around :). A++++++++++++++ on this tiki room.

On 2010-08-25 10:47, GROG wrote:
This is such a gorgeous home bar. GROG wish GROG could see it in person. Why you live so far away?

I DON'T live so far away. I'm in South Bend and I have a daughter to visit in Madison. Wisconsin and yet... I don't know. Mrs. Bungalow doesn't understand this stuff. If I came to see your place, I'd bring you a bottle of rum and maybe buy some of your artwork... maybe I'll just send you some rum. I really like your place.

Posh brada - Creamy smooth - Lovin' it - Words don't do

Dave, what time is Happy Hour! Looks great!

Q

Love your bar! The Ku is OUTSTANDING!!

Mahalo for posting the pics... and any future pics as well.

Cheers!

Now that is an awesome bar. Congratulations!

W

That is a beautiful bar.

This is a great looking bar! The fountain is VERY cool!

Nicely done, Lake surfer!

I noticed that you used what looks like reed fencing on the bottom of your walls. I just bought some of that from Home depot today. Is it hard to work with?

Everything looks great.

Pages: 1 29 replies