Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Badd Tiki's Stuff - New Lava Bowls /pele swap piece - page 2

Pages: 1 28 replies

BT

Last night I did my first acrylic on canvas. Kindof rough and there are some things I want to touch up. Completely different than what I bought this canvas for but it was kindof a spur of the moment 'just gotta do something'.

So I present 'Midnight Lono'

I updated a bit, camera flash is bad and lighting isn't good right now...
I'd love any comments, when I started I planned on it being more realistc wood looking, then I just started to throw paint at it and see where it went.
I don't know if I should put a price on it, ebay auction and see what someone is willing to pay...
It's rough an primitive for sure, not like the finely crafted paintings that quite a few people around here do.
Do you guys think something like this is worth $100? Should I try for more?
It's a 3d canvas 12" x 32"

And here's my wip shrunken head swap piece. Still not gonna give away 'what' it is yet, other than a shrunken tiki head 'something'. However I have decided it won't be a pair, just one. Taken a bit longer than I thought, a bit larger than I thought, and I'm really not happy with #2's progess. Still have to finish the shape, wrap it in paper and glue, then paint it.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-06-09 17:56 ]

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 18:03 ]

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 19:03 ]

BT

Did another painting last night. Again, didn't turn out how I had originally planned or imagined it...I really wish I had put the shark 2" lower.

This one is16"x40. I like painting this size, but it ate up ALOT of paint. This could be an expensive hobby. I think this one is done.

Creative stuff!

BT

Not 'tiki' I guess, but tropical anyway. Just working on more acrylic, looking for subjects that are colorful. Trying to lay down some paint and not get caught up in details too much. I feel that I almost get better results being rough and quick, not over analyzing too much, not working it too much... Keeping it loose.

Plus I've always liked paintings with alot of texture and streaks of color that kindof mix together. This one didn't take too long once I got the right subject, but it took 2 weeks and a few paint overs to get to that point.

I saw a flock of wild peacocks in Hawaii, was pretty cool. Same bike ride I also saw a little wild pig 'squeal squeal squeal'.
(guess he thought I was gonna eat him)

And I've done morew work on my 2010 shrunken head swap piece, has a ways to go yet.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-03-14 19:05 ]

that shrunken head is lookin totally cool!
like it was from flintstone land or somethin!
nice body of work!
moremoremore!

I love that shark, so lose with the brush, nice!

Thanks guys.

Keep having ideas for Tiki paintings, but kindof stuck on animals right now. I thought of this one the other day and it took presedence.

11x30" 3d canvas.

I'm really diggin big brushes, so it requires big canvas'. So I think to do much Tiki stuff I'm gonna have to go a little smaller on brush size so I can get a Tiki AND a backdrop in.

Kindo have an idea for a toucan, so maybe it'll be a tropical bird next.

Spent a little longer on this one, went for more detail than my other stuff.

Also figured it was time to get a little more tiki.

My first Maori.5x7" - I was gonna put a bit of tiki pattern in the background, but once I started adding patterns to him I figured it would be too busy.

Bad pic as usual.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 3:26 PM

The maori hei tiki looks awesome, love the shark painting too.

There's an Aussie artist who uses the 'lottsa paint and a trowel' method called Ben Quilty. A close up of one of his paintings

This painting is 6 foot by 7 foot - Imagine how much paint he uses!

BT

Thanks Hewey. That's a cool painting, would be really fun to work that large. The room I work in is smaller than that :) He's gotta buy paint in gallon buckets I imagine, I've been going through 200 ml tubes (the biggest ones the store has) pretty quickly.

Great colors and rawness
on that Maori Boy!
it really IS all about the gaze....

'The Hunt'

Well, this canvas started as a hula girl in a vertical format. I laid down a base and just wasn't happy with the composition so it sat around for a few days. Then I had this idea. I had thought about having 2 or 3 hunters but just didn't feel there'd be enough room for details.

Just kindof roughed in right now for composition and color checks/covering up the hula girl mistake.

Let me know what you think.

(did the greyscale just to examine the values)

BT

Working on a few more pieces. Working on values, then overlaying color in thin layers.

I just brushed this in, not much planning, working on values and I thought a bird roostin might be funny, but I'm not sure how I want to finish. Maybe just a tiki print background?

Working on another Hei, this ones about 11x14

And a pirate gaurding his booty in a tropical cave. (although he's looking more like a forest ranger right now :(

Very nice stuff Badd. I love the concept of the hornbill on the Moai, waiting to see some colors now. Nice park ranger :D

i agree with mike...for once!
Hornbill on the Moai is a pretty cool concept
that you can run with and advance
and usher in a new way of looking at a Moai!
Bravo!

BT

Thanks guys.

BT

New wip.

Been seeing some paintings in this style lately and I really dig it. Still need to touch up the black lines. The color on the right is a bit dark and the colors overall aren't quite as bright as in real life.

Still I feel like it's missing something, not sure yet...

BT

I guess it was missing texture, color, etc... Still a work in progress but getting closer.

Moai Island (working title)

And another I got a bit of work done on.
The Spirit of Palm

BT

Working on a new canvas, think I'm happy with the head so I'll show it.

This head is about 5x8 inches of the canvas.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-04-14 20:32 ]

NICE LATEST BATCH!
adding the texture on the Moai Island piece really popped it!

Badd, your stuff is looking o'so good!

Any updates on the hunter piece? or the hornbill-ed Moai?

Peace,
Jason <

Thanks guys.

No progress on those other pieces yet. I really good at starting things and not so good at finishing them. But I did finish my swap piece so I'm using that for motivation :wink:

I still feel like I'm deep in the acrylic learning curve and most of my stuff right now is being painted 3+ times... Just trying to get in my groove still I think, but I feel like I'm getting there.

I'll probably work on 'the hunt' more this weekend. Also going to try some 'medium' in my paint this weekend, acrylics do dry fast and water makes it hard to keep them consistant. Hopefully the medium will get me right in between. (it is called medium after all :)

BT

Well, I haven't been doing anything lately, kindof got burnt out on painting/not getting what I want out of it.
Thinking about doing some more 3d stuff lately and thinking about birds for the next swap (it is gonna be birds right? lol)

Anyway, I started on a 'birdman mask'. Recycled Pizza boxes and masking tape right now. Once I get the shape all done I'll be putting a good solid coat of recycled paper over the top, then painting it.

Not sure yet if the paint will be tiki'ish (carved wood and paint) or feathery.

Don't think it'll be a swap piece but maybe something similar. Will be wearable or for hanging on a wall.

That bird mask is looking pretty cool!

BT

Well, this thread is being resurrected lol.

Been taking a ceramics class, ceramics one so it's mostly all throwing (which is what I want to do anyway).

Just posted this over in the pele swap thread, not fired yet so the glaze colors don't look right. But it's ready to go :D
Threw the bowl, the volcano base and the volcano 'shot', then combined the last two.

It's about 6-8" diameter. Guessing it could hold 24-32 oz of delicious beverage.

Today I decided to throw a couple more lava bolws. Maybe I can sell them...
Decided to do a Moai and a palm one this time. Still need bisqued and glazed. And gotta clean up all the little clay poops when it's nice and dry.

These are a bit larger than the first. I didn't weight the clay on the first but these took a 5lb ball of clay each and a 2-3 lb ball for both of the volcanoes.

I'm going to try and sell the lava bowls, possibly Etsy or Ebay but have no idea what I should ask. Does $50 each sound like too much? It took about 6 hours to make them both (still have an hour of glazing probably). Maybe $10 for clay.
They are hand built originals :D

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 18:06 ]

I was taking a handbuilding class a few years back and had a chance to do some throwing. I passed it up because it was too boring to make symetrical objects. I have since figured out I was WRONG!!!! and that sometimes that would be very useful :D

Your forms look great, I'm excited to see the finished projects.

BT

Let's see, pics of finished tiki stuff...those bowls mainly. I've tried many different art mediums over the years and I'm REALLY digging ceramics right now. It really feels like I've found my medium, I still need tons of practice but I can't get enough :D

This was el numero tres: I sent this off to TravelingJones for the pele swap after the first one I made/sent was stepped on by an elephant (and possibly not packed well)

And numero uno, the tiki bowl that is no more

This one was the second bowl I made. Holds 24 oz of liquid and a shot in the volcano. It's up for sale on Ebay.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43920&forum=12&start=last&0

Sake sets also seem to be fairly popular so I figured I'd make one. This one was slab built.
(It's also up on ebay in same post as above)

And I'm working on some cups. Maybe not so much tiki but I'd working on some designs that are a bit 60-70's shag-a-rific :)
These were water etched, I've got a Marque design about to be fired that I'll post in a week or two.

Will definitely be doing some tiki faces on these, and maybe whole tikis if i can get them taller (about 5-6 inches now and 12 oz)

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-09-24 16:38 ]

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-09-24 16:45 ]

"I've tried many different art mediums over the years and I'm REALLY digging ceramics right now. It really feels like I've found my medium..."

I know exactly how you feel!

The volcano bowls turned out really cool and the sake set glaze is beautiful. Tell me more about water etching, looks similar to a shellac resist technique.

thanks MDM,

Yeah it's just shellac resist, but I've seen it called water carving, etching,etc... We had a discussion in class and everyone had their own terms, lol. But i also used wax resist for the glaze on the argyle piece so... :D

Pages: 1 28 replies