Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Chicago Visit - Where to stay, what to do?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey TC Ohana,

Me and the family will be in Chicago at the end of March/beginning of April. I know we need to hit Tiki Terrace, Trader Vic and some of the other restaurant/bar staples, but where do you suggest we stay? Are there any really cool hotels you suggest while we hit the Field Museums, etc? I found that Radisson Hotel at the Star Plaza on Critiki, as a possibility for the way there.

Also, any suggestions on what all to do while there?

Plus, coming from Ohio, we're thinking we may go up to Warren Dunes in Michigan and some places in that area too, on the way back. I'll take suggestions on what is worthwhile pretty much between Chicago and Ohio or within a reasonable distance. When we travel....we meander.

And remember, I'll have my fam with me which includes two boys 8 to 11 - so the suggestions can't get too crazy (unfortunately).

Mahalo in advance!

LS

A

Parking gets expensive downtown, so I would pick your hotel based on free parking, and or proximity to the sights you want to see. There will also be cabs everywhere in the downtown area.

I stayed at the Blackstone many years ago, cool historic hotel.

The 4 Points Sheraton downtown is a good value, walking distance from Trader Vic's, and has a cute pool and hot tub area. There is also a Trader Joe's on the ground floor, good for cheap snacks and easy meal stuff.

Often overlooked, and free on Tuesdays: the Museum of Contemporary art

For food, there are a lot of good places to eat in the Wicker Park area. I like Handlebar and Sultan's Market. Chinatown is also a fun area with some good dining choices.

edited because I can never remember bb code

[ Edited by: AllisonV 2010-03-05 08:48 ]

[ Edited by: AllisonV 2010-03-05 08:51 ]

GK

Drive about 20 minutes out of town to go to the Hala Kahiki in River Grove. A must-see tiki stop.

Also, check out the Art Institute and its new expansion - and do not miss the Field Museum's collection of New Guinea artifacts (one of the largest collections of its type) for a taste of the authentic tiki world. Kids will like both places - and the Museum of Science and Industry too, with its "working" coal mine, U-boat, streamlined train, etc.

Oak Park, a suburb a quick drive to the west, has a great collection of Frank Lloyd Wright houses, including Wright's own home and studio which is open for regular tours. If you can't make it there, go south of the city and check out Wright's Robie House (also open for tours) or just walk around downtown Chicago - great architecture all around (the museum of architecture near the Art Institute sells walking guides to the city). And be sure to try out the Chicago deep dish pizza while you are in the city...always good.

GK

Awesome suggestions. We have plans to hit the Field Museum, Shed Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and some other stuff. Then I also want to hit Trader Vic's. Plus, we already have reservations to the Polynesian show at the Tiki Terrace. That one sounds like a great Tiki-fix.

Any more suggestions?

Best kept secret for Chicago accommodations. About 3 miles from downtown. Monks who run a B&B. Free parking. Kid friendly. Some friends of ours stayed there so we've actually seen it and it's pretty nice.

http://chicagomonk.org/?page_id=21

Plus our home tiki bar is nearby. PM if you stay here and you can stop by for a mai tai.

TT

Don't forget to visit Chef Shangri-la http://www.chefshangrila.com located at 7930 W. 26th St in North Riverside, about 9 miles from downtown, and about 5 miles south of Hala Kahiki. Great spot and it's kid friendly. If you plan on going, let us know, we'll come over and buy you a Mai Tai.

Wow. Two offers for mai tais in Chicago. I'm a happy shark. When I get the rest of our trip figured out. I'll let ya know. Thanks.

G
gonzo posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 1:41 PM

Go down to the Navy pier and take the boat tour up the Chicago river. Learn all about Oleary's cow hoax to the invention of the skyscraper and everything else about Chicago downtown. The guides are unbelievably in love with Chicago history. My kids still remember that boat ride three years later.

Just hope and pray that a winnebago doesnt decide pull up to a draw bridge and dump its shit tank in the river while a tour boat was passing under like they did several years ago.

Pages: 1 7 replies