Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

you pick two: martin denny & arthur lyman

Pages: 1 2 replies

If you were hard pressed to pick two Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman albums from the ones listed below, which would you choose?

I only ask because I'm planning to make a Tiki/Hawaiian MP3 album compilation for the summer and want to include as many different artists as possible. Limiting these two corner stones of Exotica to two albums a piece saves valuable space on a 700MB CD-R. The only glitch in my plan is that I can't decide which to include! Please help!

First up we have MARTIN DENNY. Of the albums listed below, which two exemplify his signature sound and also contrast each other slightly to keep the pairing interesting? Also, please indicate if you prefer the MONO or
STEREO versions of whichever albums you pick.

In no particular order, here's the pool from which you can fish:
EXOTICA
EXOTICA VOLUME II
PRIMITIVA
FORBIDDEN ISLAND
EXOTICA VOLUME III
HYPNOTIQUE
QUIET VILLAGE
AFRO-DESIA

Now, onto Arthur Lyman. Since Mr. Lyman recorded both traditional Exotica and exotic versions of popular songs of the day, I think I'd like to include two albums that showcase both ends of that spectrum. Again, though, which ones?

In no particular order:
TABOO
TABOO II
HAWAIIAN SUNSET
THE WINNER'S CIRCLE
TODAY'S GREATEST HITS
ISLE OF ENCHANTMENT
POLYNESIA
BWANA A
BAHIA
LATITUDE 20
APHRODESIA
LYMAN '66
THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE
ON BROADWAY
THE COLORFUL PERCUSSIONS
COTTON FIELDS
BLOWIN' IN THE WIND
THE MANY MOODS OF ARTHUR LYMAN
LOVE FOR SALE
ILIKAI
THE PORT OF LOS ANGELES

I'm curious to see everyone's favorites as they post their selections. Happy picking!

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2010-03-07 07:25 ]

Having just finished transfering 14 Arthur albums to I-tunes in the last week or so, I would choose Bahia and At the Crescendo as favorites that provide good contrast.

As for Martin, I would choose the mono Exotica album and Hawaii Goes a Go-Go. I choose the second album because my dad used to play it at our house partieis in Kailua in the early 70s. Good memories.

NB

Quiet Village/Enchanted Sea combo CD was my first excursion into the world of Exotica and will always be my favorite. There is nothing like your first step into a new world.

Pages: 1 2 replies