Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Another Newb says Hi!

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

I've been into Surf music for the better part of a decade, but it wasn't until about 6 months ago that I really started getting into Tiki Mugs and starting up a collection. I was buying Munktiki items almost exclusively at first, but once I had the bug, it didn't take long for me to branch out to other artists/manufacturers like Bosko, Squid, etc. At this point, I am still just buying the designs I think look cool, not necessarily the things are the most desirable or expensive. I'm often shocked at the prices some of the plainest looking items fetch on ebay, etc. My collection is pretty much all new - manufactured in the past 10 years or so (which is to say I haven't purchsed anything 'vintage' yet) and I'm enjoying watching my collection grow. I'm also looking forward to participating here and learning as much as I can about this hobby.

-Larry

Welcome Larry, there's no site better than Tiki Central. My husband Dan has also collected surf music since he was in junior high. It's still his first love but tiki is a close second. When we first were married we had a room where all the walls were covered with albums. Now our walls are covered with every thing tiki. Last year Tiki Oasis in San Diego had the theme of Surf and many bands came to play. If you can make it this August you will make more friends and have more fun than you could imagine. You can see Dan's tiki jungle room on http://www.claytikis.com under the heading of A Serious Hobby. Cheers, Wendy

Wow! The Enchanted Tiki Room hasn't got anything on you guys! Those pictures are awesome. I can't wait to get a house so I can do it up right, like that! Being in a apt definitely limits my design plans. I would love to get down to SD for Tiki Oasis and I'm semi-planning on it, (finances permitting).

PS. So sorry. I just noticed this intro posting is not in the right place.

[ Edited by: TeeKeeMan 2010-03-08 22:13 ]

Z

Welcome to TC, Teekeeman!
If at all possible, I recommend making it to the Oasis. There are few places that are so brimming with aloha. Also, the bay area is absolutely chockablock with great places to indulge those tiki needs!
Cheers,
~Zero

Welcome !

I'm a newb myself but I've found the folks here to be very accommodating of all sorts of psychotronic weirdness. (Thanks, everyone !) BTW, ignore the fanged beast sipping the Red Devil at the end of the bar, it's just me. :D

Pages: 1 4 replies