Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Disappointing Visit to Mai-Kai

Pages: 1 2 3 96 replies

On 2010-03-13 07:16, Swanky wrote:
I gotta say one more thing as well.

Will every please get their One More Things out please..... that was we can get back to the topic at hand, the Mai Kai.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2010 9:26 AM

TC has evolved over it's life and I think the internet has too. we have been having a good time. That and those who flame you in PMs without the guts to say what they think in public.

GROG would rather people who disagreed with something not related to the thread subject, keep their arguments in PMs, rather than derailing a thread. Or, start a new thread with whatever is bothering them, so that the other thread can have all the arguments and discussions and everyone can voice their opinions without derailing the original thread.

So, what drinks do ya'll recommend at the Mai-Kai and who's buying GROG a drink if/when GROG ever make it out to the mighty Mai-Kai?

And, if we do encounter a bad drink at the Mai-Kai, (or any other favorite drinking establishment) should we send it back, complain to a manager or waiter/waitress, beat the crap out of the bartender in the parking lot, or set fire to the place? (Now that GROG know how to make fire, GROG more inclined to set fire to the place, but others may see this as less socially acceptable.)

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-13 09:31 ]

On 2010-03-13 09:26, GROG wrote:

So, what drinks do ya'll recommend at the Mai-Kai and who's buying GROG a drink if/when GROG ever make it out to the mighty Mai-Kai?

Based on the few pictures of you Grog (No, the camera does not steal your soul!) I recommend the Barrel-O-Rum. A nice big vessel appropriately sized and balanced for someone of your particular posture.

And if your a good boy and don't hurt the nice Molokai Maidens, we'll get you a Coffee Grog for desert. It not only shares your name, it includes Fire. You like both those things.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2010 9:54 AM

No Mystery Bowl? It have pretty woman and fire. GROG like both those things, too.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-13 09:56 ]

On 2010-03-13 00:16, GROG wrote:
So, then we all agree, the drinks at the Mai-Kai are still good, then?

I do, but the drinks are always going to fluctuate a little to the left or right when you are working with many ingredients in addition to all of them having different measurements. Then add in a bartender who works behind a wall (a service bar or a bar with no seating) who never gets to see his achievement ( the guest enjoying his creation/drink). It's actually a great feeling to see that drink delivered and the customer taking that first sip and getting a smile out of it and they say, "that's a great drink".
Then the beautiful cocktail server gets all the credit, not to mention she gets the majority of the tip, then you have the perfect recipe for "bartender burnout".
This is reality, that every bar and restaurant is going to change food and drink quality/taste intentionally and non-intentionally in time. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, and then back to better again.
I know this probably sounds a little dramatic, but I have worked those service bars for years and they SUCK! Yes I still love to bartend at a regular bar that has seats.

So even if the drinks are just average, I still go to the Mai Kai knowing there is no other place on earth like it.
I love the Mai Kai and long may it live!

(yes, this was one serous post from Unga Bunga. please enjoy the moment. :D )

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2010-03-13 10:57 ]

K

That and those who flame you in PMs without the guts to say what they think in public.

Tim, I would think you know me well enough to know that I am more than happy to speak my mind in public.

And if I were you, I'd consider the shoes you are wearing before you decide to climb that slippery slope.

You've said too much elsewhere already about the people you claim to support here, and you know it. So maybe take your nose and stick it somewhere else before I cease to find you only mildly annoying.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2010 11:20 AM

Thank you for that great example of a post that would have been a good candidate for a PM rather than posted on this poor derailed thread we're trying so hard to get back on track. You help make GROG point. Now, can we please stop this and get back to the original thread?

And, thanks Unga Bunga (sound like caveman speak) for the rare serious and insightful post.

So, the Mai-Kai bartenders are hidden away in back? They don't have a bar you can "belly up to" and sit and hang out?
That one of the things GROG like about the Tiki bars here in L.A., is that you can see your drink being made, and if you're at the bar, you can interact with the bartender. When we went to La Descarga a couple of nights ago, the bartender was telling us the history of how the drink "tapping the Admiral" got it's name, as she was mixing it for us. That defintely added to the enjoyment of the overall experience we had that night.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-13 11:39 ]

okay- watch closely...i'm gonna derail the thread and still stay on topic all in the same instant !!

I love a good drama !! especially craziness like this, what with all the problems going on in the world to really get upset about, this stuff takes precedent for some.....none the less, i have been very entertained by all this.....thank you one and all...

...and i love the mai kai drinks !!! can't wait to get back there.....

see ??

right back on topic....

On 2010-03-13 11:20, GROG wrote:
They don't have a bar you can "belly up to" and sit and hang out?

They have a beautiful bar you can belly up to. On the other side of the bar are the beautiful Molokai Maidens who will bring you 52 different drinks and a wide variety of appetizers both hot and cold.

No bartenders visible, just the Molokai Maidens.

I love the bartenders at the Mai Kai, but having seen them face to face** I'll stick with the Molokai Maidens.

**I love Troy from the back-bar, he is genuinely one of my hero's when it comes to bars and alcohol. He, unfortunately, has the perfect face for radio.

J

On 2010-03-13 09:41, Chip and Andy wrote:

Based on the few pictures of you Grog .... A nice big vessel appropriately sized....

Yikes, what posted pictures are these ??

You know, I've been to most of the operational Tiki bars in the West, both authentic mid-century and Tiki Revival. I think however my most favorite in the world is the Mai Kai (even though I've never been there).

To know that one of the legendary Tiki palaces documented in BOT is still in existence, brings a mystique and enjoyment to my overall Poly-Pop experience no matter what Tiki bar I happen to be drinking in. Does the Mai Kai have the greatest Tropical drinks in the world? Is the TIPSY ratio unparalleled? Does it exude a timeless Tiki atmosphere unmatched anywhere? In my mind it does and for that reason I'm glad it's still with us.

(And please Right Coasters, don't bother replying "Yes to all" because I already know you're going to say that. :))

Sometimes expectations can be better enjoyed than the reality. I'm almost afraid now to visit.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-13 15:24 ]

On 2010-03-13 09:54, GROG wrote:
No Mystery Bowl? It have pretty woman and fire. GROG like both those things, too.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-13 09:56 ]

Having had a few Mystery Bowls and knowing you....not sure you could handle it!

S

Thank you for that great example of a post that would have been a good candidate for a PM rather than posted on this poor derailed thread we're trying so hard to get back on track. You help make GROG point. Now, can we please stop this and get back to the original thread?

And, thanks Unga Bunga (sound like caveman speak) for the rare serious and insightful post.

So, the Mai-Kai bartenders are hidden away in back? They don't have a bar you can "belly up to" and sit and hang out?
That one of the things GROG like about the Tiki bars here in L.A., is that you can see your drink being made, and if you're at the bar, you can interact with the bartender. When we went to La Descarga a couple of nights ago, the bartender was telling us the history of how the drink "tapping the Admiral" got it's name, as she was mixing it for us. That defintely added to the enjoyment of the overall experience we had that night.
[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-13 11:39 ]

Grog,

No, no, you got it all wron. No bartender guys to interact with, instead you have this:

Much better!

All hail the Mighty Mai Kai!!!

On 2010-03-13 18:18, Swanky wrote:
No, no, you got it all wron. No bartender guys to interact with, instead you have this:

And this:

and

and

or

And if that doesn't get you in the drinking mood, here is the whole entire Flickr pool:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/pool/

Okay GROG, here's how it looks when you order from the Molokai Bar ~

Here Hanford demonstrates how to order from a table in the Molokai Bar -

All of a sudden I'm Super Thirsty! :blush:

Was this picture taken at the Mai Kai? What are those big hanging melon things?

On 2010-03-13 20:19, MadDogMike wrote:
Was this picture taken at the Mai Kai? What are those big hanging melon things?

That is the big waterfall in the outside gardens. That is the side farthest away and faces out away from the restaurant.

Those melon looking things are seed pods from the blah-blah tree that I can't remember the name of because I'm drinking right now.......

On 2010-03-13 20:19, MadDogMike wrote:

What are those big hanging melon things?

..... those are boobies !!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-03-13 20:50 ]

Well shit!
I would have been the first one to chime in about the Molokai Babes.
I thought someone was bitchin' about the drinks.
The Molokai women could deliver me a Colt 45 Malt Liquor, and I would be the first one to give praise.

C

LOOK!

BOOBIES!!!!

What a perfect distraction :wink: :lol:

J

Hmmm... If the last several posts are representative of a thread back on topic, please someone derail it again !!

At least then were were having an intelligent conversation. :evil:

Ugh, sometimes TC feels like Jr. High School.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-13 22:25 ]

Ahh, but JOHN-O, from some insightful posts here we see that the Mai Kai's catering to America's titillation with the scantily clad wahini may very well be the root cause to someone's "disappointing visit to the Mai Kai". (the possible back room service bartender's malaise)

So these posts are not only fun loving and add a light touch to a thread that at times got a bit heavy, they are germane to the conversation as well.

Which is my long winded way of saying that without a certain amount of Junior High Schoolness, there'd be no Tiki craze.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2010-03-13 22:45 ]

My feeling is: the drinks should be of consistent quality regardless of which hidden bar they emanate from. Maybe a "Master" or two needs to be overseeing the drinks being made at each location to insure consistent quality. A Black Magic ordered at the Molokai bar should be identical to one ordered from one of the dining areas - Just my humble opinion.

B
BH posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2010 8:38 AM

On 2010-03-14 06:01, GentleHangman wrote:
My feeling is: the drinks should be of consistent quality regardless of which hidden bar they emanate from. Maybe a "Master" or two needs to be overseeing the drinks being made at each location to insure consistent quality. A Black Magic ordered at the Molokai bar should be identical to one ordered from one of the dining areas - Just my humble opinion.

GentleHangman-I think you're spot on with this post and from everything I've read this was the attitude of Donn Beach, Trader Vic, and Mariano Licudine, the three guys I am most interested in emulating when it comes to drink making.

Thanks to everyone for posting their feedback on the Mai-Kai, especially those who have been there recently and can compare these recent visits to past ones. I think in the end my disappointing visit owed to one of two things: either 1. It was an off weekend at the bar and a fluke, or 2. My tastes have evolved and become sharper thanks to the Bum's books and my practice in the art of mixology (and as an aside, not to derail my own thread, but I personally love the term "mixology" and think that it captures the spirit of my hobby just perfectly without being pretentious or misleading).

Regardless, as GatorRob pointed out quite eloquently, Mai-Kai is a treasure and a place that I will always happily visit again and again. I love the Mai-Kai just as much as everyone else here on TC, in fact it was that love that prompted my to start this thread and make my first contribution. In my mind I treat the Mai-Kai like an endangered species and become very uneasy when it appears at risk. Alarm bells went off on my last visit, so I thought I would sent out an alert to the TC community and find out what others were thinking. I am glad to learn that the rest of you have had good experiences recently.

Lastly, I am not sure how to respond to Bargoyle's question about whether the drinks were bad since the concept of a bad drink is highly subjective and ambiguous. I have noticed the tendency for TCers to enjoy engaging in esoteric debate (such as the one concerning use of the term bartender versus mixologist) and I myself occasionally enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, especially when it comes to a topic I that love and I have a cocktail in hand. But I'll save that for a future thread when we can discuss whether or not a cocktail is bad if it tastes worse than the last time you had it.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2010 11:08 AM

Or, maybe the guys above had a good point about the MaiKai Girls. Maybe the drinks have been bad all along. But with gorgeous women showing lots of cleavage maybe everyone has been distracted all this time from the bad taste of the drinks by bOObies. Maybe the day you went, the girls weren't as pretty or they had small boobs, and you weren't as distracted and you were actually able to concentrate on the taste of the drinks. So, if the Mai Kai wants to make sure their drinks taste consistently good, then they need to make sure their girls are as consistently gorgeous on a day to day basis.

Case in point:

When Boris posted this image, GROG was sitting at GROG' computer in GROG' art studio drinking a SPRITE. GROG accidently grab a can of turpentine while viewing the above image, and proceeded to finish off the can of turpentine. It wasn't until GROG turned off the computer and was leaving the studio that GROG realize the SPRITE was still full but the turpentine was gone.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-14 11:29 ]

Wow, I go off to Deutschland for a week or two and all hell breaks lose here. Glad to see that it has all ended with some gratuitous clevage shots from the Molokai Maidens. My experience with the Mai-Kai has always been positive (and I have the credit card bills to document it). I agree that the back bar drinks are better but that is not to say that I have ever had a sub-par cocktail up front. It's like saying Zacapa 23 is no good because their XO is superior. I also have to say that the Molokai does just fine with the basic cocktails while the back bar excells at the more complex offerings.

Man, oh, man, reading this thread... I just love everyone's passion!
And now, I am seriously missing the Mai Kai! Ah well, there's plenty of nice Tiki in Southern Cal, but I think we all agree, the Mai Kai is a very special place.

Aloha to my Florida friends!

On 2010-03-14 11:08, GROG wrote:
So, if the Mai Kai wants to make sure their drinks taste consistently good, then they need to make sure their girls are as consistently gorgeous on a day to day basis.

I know GROG meant this to be funny (and your post was, very!), but your observation is closer to reality, or at least past reality, than you might realize. Case in point, I'm going to post something here with Swanky's permission. Okay, I don't really have your permission, but you posted it yourself before so it's in the public domain now. :D

This is a letter from Bob Thornton (Mai-Kai co-owner at the time) to one of his girls on the payroll. They had a "point" system on the girls' appearance! I'm sure, considering the year, they were not only scored on looks and grooming, but also how they spoke, manners, etc. I'm sure they can't get away with so overt a scoring system now, but this shows how important those girls were (and obviously still are) to the overall "show". A sub-par drink is much more easily overlooked when surrounded by all that beauty. And, honestly, who wouldn't have wanted to be in Bob Thorton's shoes in 1965!

By the way, thanks Tim for uncovering that letter. It's priceless.

And here, by the way, is Ann (from the cover of the long-defunct Mai-Kai Happy Talk newsletter, March 1964). Figure looks fine to me. :D

G

Oh, there is one thing I wish the Mai-Kai would bring back on a regular basis. They still do it on occasion. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't. And that is: ice shells, ice cones, etc. I know they can't always get the glassware that these drinks used to be served in, but they can still do the sculpted ice if they want to. We know it's time consuming, but it adds so much to the presentation (which, by the way, enhances the perceived quality of the drink).

So, our dear Mai-Kai family, bring out the ice!

I count 4 ice sculptures in that picture.

Now let's line 'em up (girls AND drinks) and behold from this late 50s/early 60s shot...

(Sorry for the break in the picture, but it's a really W-I-D-E shot.) Are all those drinks pictured better than the ones you can get in the Mai-Kai today? Hard to know for sure. The rums that were available back then seem to have been generally better than what is available now. We know that courtesy of this jaw-dropping post from a year ago over on Jeff Berry's blog. But, the situation has improved a lot in recent years with more premium rums available now than have been available in years. But those premium rums are expensive and demand a certain appreciative clientele to make it financially feasible. The Mai-Kai's drinks are already expensive to cover the enormous overhead expense of just keeping the lights on, the water flowing and the torches lit. I'm doubtful the average Mai-Kai visitor would tolerate much more in cost if that's what it took to increase the quality. (Not saying they need to, just thinking aloud.)

Guys,

Let's not derail an otherwise great thread. Let's stay on topic, and drop the drama.

Mahalo,

Hanford

C

Some great pictures, there of the Molokai Maidens!!

&, as of 2 weeks ago, the Molokai & back bar were BOTH utilizing ice cones & ice shells for the drinks in which they were appropriate. It was, indeed, great to see!!

Ya know, I'll take an "off" drink at the Molokai any day. We know that at least the ingredient quality is there. Living in a land of bereft drinks of real quality and unfortunate high prices, I'll "settle." :wink:

On the side note, remember when visiting a vintage tiki establishment that survived the decimation meant a high likely hood of putting up with mediocre drinks.food & ambiance just to appreciate it still existed? For those who have pre-2001, you know what I mean.

Its a nice age to know there are a few places where quality can be delivered as well as expected. We just have to let them know when the mark is missed so they can have the opportunity to correct the error.

Very true, see my foreword in Tiki Road Trip. The Mai Kai is THE most amazing repository of Tiki culture still in existence --and that in living, breathing form. I had the good fortune of getting to photograph some of its features again, this time for Pete Moruzzi's new book on classic American dining places, "America After Dark", less than a month ago, in February.

In the course of this I had the pleasure of drinking and dining three consecutive nights in the Samoa and in the Tahiti Room, and must say that the various Mai Tais, Rum Barrels and Dark & Stormies I consumed were all delicious! This was AFTER taking the photos, of course :) , of which one, the exterior below, was liked so much by the Mai Kai that they will use it as a postcard.

I vote to leave this thread be now, the valid concern it brought up has been sufficiently discussed and explained, and after that the headline seems a little harsh to be made to pop up again and again. Mahalo

One more thing...

Great shot Sven! :)

On 2010-03-14 06:01, GentleHangman wrote:

AGREED!
But it just doesn't happen that way.
The only place I have found this to be true is at the Tiki Ti, BECAUSE it's under a "controlled environment" or, the owners are the bartenders.
A lot of you guys here at TC are very knowledgeable of your cocktails. that's why your gonna notice these slight changes in what drink you had last time and the drink you're having now. We (at TC) have hit a peak of mixology that where we're actually very spoiled with our drinks and taste! Nothing wrong with that, but we've set our expectations so high at other establishments, that we only "come down harder" when that drink is not a carbon copy drink of what we remember from what the last one was.
The drinks at Mai Kai are great , but you can only dissect a cocktail so far.
If you think your drink or food entree is going to be exactly the same from your last visit, then you have a head for fantasy, because it's just not gonna happen.

Let's just go to the Tiki bar and have fun!

(God Unga, who stuck a Tiki torch up your ass? )

CHEERS!

B

Good point Unga.

the only way to perfect consistency is to adopt the Fast Food model.

A hamburger from a Burger King is EXACTLY the same in Portland, Maine as it is in Portland, Oregon.

Personally, I'll take little bumps in consistency when the QUALITY that's offered is so high.

Plus, you never know...sometimes a happy mistake in mixing makes for a GREAT new cocktail... Ray's anyone?

And if there's a mistake and for whatever reason you DONT like the drink, as long as you're not an asshole about it (anbd probably even if you are, but dont be), they'll gladly replace it for you. Its one of the few places left where "Customer Service" actually means something.

Viva La Mai Kai!!!

[ Edited by: bargoyle 2010-03-15 08:20 ]

T

Tomorrow NIGHT!

Will be @ the Mai Kai tomorrow night (3rd time) right now will
go with Chip & Andy's post, plus fellow local Ohana that go there
on a regular basis. Will report back!

Thortiki

PS Ain't NOTHING like a Tiki drink Served by a Mai Kai MAIDEN!!!!

From what I've read and experienced (I enjoyed the 60's, thank you) the "Exotic" drinks as created by Don The Beachcomber and his peers were almost 'scientific' in nature; carefully crafted and formulated to strict specifications which were treated as 'Trade Secrets' and strictly adhered to at their establishments. The food served at these establishments was good . . . but the drinks were masterpieces that kept patrons coming back again and again.
The Mai Kai is from this period and unlike many, has managed to survive. Again, in my opinion to be true to the heritage the drink 'formulas' need to be maintained and consistent. The Mai Kai operates with the back bar drink assembly rooms of yore, and in my opinion, should have no difficulty maintaining perfection and consistency in their classic drinks.
The only reason I can think of as to why this is not so today is . . . laziness. They have the formulas . . . they have additional supplies and drink materials we can only dream of . . . and their rums and liquor - we can't get much of it in our local stores. So, again I wonder, what's the excuse? Why would my "Black Magic" be different depending on which room I was in when I ordered it. It's true that most people who are not TC aficionados probably won't notice the slight imperfections but as one who remembers the early years - the 50-'s seeing the magnificant libations my parents were enjoying while I drank my "Shirley Temple" or some other non-alcoholic creation - which was also served in the same style as the 'adult' drinks - and then later when I was of 'legal age' (I celebrated my 21st. birthday in '67 at the Kowloon . . . and I still have the mug!)I remember how it was . . . and I miss that.

On 2010-03-25 06:12, GentleHangman wrote:
...The Mai Kai operates with the back bar drink assembly rooms of yore, and in my opinion, should have no difficulty maintaining perfection and consistency in their classic drinks.
The only reason I can think of as to why this is not so today is . . . laziness.

Yes.

And No.

The issue is one of laziness on the bartenders sakes. It is also one of the 'usual customers.' It is kind of this weird negative feedback loop between patron and bartender. I'll use a specific drink as my example for this rambling thought.... the Rainbow Barrel. It is the base juice mix of the Rum Barrel and then four of five various flavors of vodka are added. Personally, blech, but it is a popular variation of the drink that more and more people are asking for.

It is innovative on the part of the Mai Kai and completely within the premise of keeping customers happy and returning. But to bastardize the Rum Barrel so horribly seems to go against the spirit of the place.

Or does it?

To us, it is the Mighty Mai Kai, 50 plus years and still going.

To everyone else it is that neat place where we have our anniversary / wedding / birthday / bar mitzvah dinner every month / year. Oh, and they have some pretty strong drinks and some of them are even on fire!

It really all does come down to one thing..... Us. Not Tiki Central Us, but the individual Us. Each of Us. Each person that goes to the Mai Kai. Once a lifetime, or once a month, it doesn't matter. We have to go, we have to enjoy it, we have to show interest in the drinks, the food, the people. "They" know if your interested, and even if they don't tell them you are. It makes a difference. When the place is packed with the local Ohana, the drinks are always better, more consistent, more yummy. If you just wander in and blend in, your drinks will do the same.

On 2010-03-11 00:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have noticed also that, as expert mixology, and especially complex rum cocktails, are being re-created by a new generation of young bartenders at hip metropolitan venues (thanks to the groundbreaking work of Beachbum Berry), and the press is giving this phenomenon ample attention (as I pointed out before, mixology has become THE current ambassador of Tiki culture), unfortunately several classic Tiki venues have difficulties stepping up to the plate -to whatever degree.

I would have never expected that the kind of gourmet cocktail consciousness that was awakened by the likes of the bum and Ted Haigh would go beyond our well established personal home bar and internet forum specialists interest. I always assumed that this time consuming, exotic ingredient requiring craftsmanship would just be too impractical out in the real bar and restaurant world. But luckily I have been proven wrong. Within a few years, exotic cocktail ingredients that were hard to come by or extinct have been recreated and made available, and new cocktailians like Martin Cate and Marcus Tello are leading a new generation of mixologists (please note: another term that had gone extinct before published in the Book of Tiki :) ) to a shining new future. (There's even already a backlash for that term: When asking Rivera's bar wizard Julian Cox "Do you consider yourself a bartender or a mixologist? " his reply was "I consider myself a bartender first and foremost. I love the art mixology but I think at times the term mixologist can be a bit pretentious." :D )

Not long ago I witnessed New York mixologist Brian Miller guest-bartending at the Edison to a packed bar, and while very hard at work, he nevertheless took the time to list all the ingredients of the concoction to the eagerly listening bar groupies.
General public gourmet cocktail awareness will most likely be a fad that fades eventually, but while it lasts, existing Tiki Bars have to recognize it as an opportunity to drum up new business, and not only rely on the fact (understandably so) that they have been doing a certain amount of this all along.

When I was a fledgling punk coming up in the scene, there was a hefty amount of education/awareness related to animal rights and vegetarian diet and most participants adhered to the dogma, or ideals, depending on your point of view, that more or less represented the culture as a whole. So if you weren't vegetarian/vegan you either were someone who hadn't "figured it out yet" or you just didn't give a fuck, which was still punk, but kind of ignorant. Flash forward to the present, punk is dead, and indie rocker/hipster kids can't get enough bacon. What's my point? Get ready for the "mixology" backlash, when twenty somethings start complaining about waiting 20 minutes for a drink and paying twelve bucks a pop, eventually leading to a nostalgia for sweet and sour out of the gun and purple hooter shots.

On 2010-03-12 04:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am sorry again, I had no intention to sideline this topic to a discussion about the term "mixology" either.

I really was just trying to point out that, as we engage in a sort of historical re-enactment, history is happening today and is constantly evolving and changing, and we have to take note of that. The brunt of my post was aimed at the idea that, while classic Mixology temples like the Tiki Ti and the Mai Kai provided the foundation of the revival and are rightfully revered for that, such places should not just rest on their laurels, but try to draw re-inspiration from the current cocktail revival, sprucing up their operations while staying authentic, and joining in the media frenzy with added information and advertising about the classic nature of their cocktails. I think Marie at Don The Beachcomber and Kelly at the Tonga Hut are great examples of working hard on that.

PS: And before I get called pretentious and arrogant again: This is simply a THOUGHT that came to me from reading the first couple of posts. I am not TELLING anyone what to do, I am contributing my observations and the resulting thoughts to an open discussion.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-03-12 05:09 ]

Not trying to highjack the thread but Sven's provided the raw material for a serious bartender rant. IMO, the Tiki-Ti sets the standard for mixology even in todays competitive, ramped-up cocktail scene. Why? They do it FAST. Not fast like cutting corners, I don't care fast, but fast like, "we're gonna get you this drink in a reasonable amount of time" fast. The varnish is a great bar, but what's the point of using a special sphere of hand-crafted ice to chill my manhattan when it takes you ten minutes to make the next two drinks and by the time the waitress brings them to my table, my manhattan is room temp? The Buhens also understand that most people drink to relax, loosen up, and maybe get drunk. It's not a trip to the Met. They've mixed me the wrong drink before, laughed at themselves, and offered me an exchange, which I decline, 'cuz all the drinks are good, and really, who cares?

Now if we can just get them to lower their prices...

Personally, I want to kick Sven's ass for choosing a typeface so small that I can't read the book while urinating at Purple Orchid. Then again, why would I want to read a book that bears so little semblance to the power of tiki given to me by my grandfather? He always maintained that the post-war rise of tiki was a NECESSARY response to World War 2. He, like the millions of others who served in the Pacific theater, couldn't possibly describe the boredom, carnage and horribleness that was the daily routine to his family or clueless strangers. It was far simpler to take the family to the local tiki joint as demonstration of the wonderfulness it was to stop at Don's and/or Honolulu before being shipped out. He always maintained that tiki was the Disneyfied and sanitized way for soldiers to share the experience with civilians. Strong drinks were necessary to drown the very bad memories for most veterans. He was always a decent barman with an incredible basement bar. I always admired the machetes on the wall which he derisively referred to as 'decoration toys'. One day, when I was old enough and we had several of his libations, he gave me this corroded and worn sort of machete-looking-like thing. He told me it was an all-purpose edged weapon and tool used by the Japs to both hack through the jungle, saw through barbed wire and disembowel the local Polynesians, prisoners-of-war or other malcontents. The weapon was a clear violation of the Geneva convention and any soldier in possession of a used one was assumed to be a war criminal eligible for execution. After securing it from a less than cooperative Jap soldier, he also discovered a small quantity of sake. Some of the local Polynesians working with his unit were extremely agitated to see the weapon and immediately wanted to use it on the prone and injured Jap. He wasn't sure what to do until the Polynesians offered him rum they had gotten from the Australians. He stepped aside, they gave him the rum and he mixed it in his canteen with the sake. Said it was the finest tiki drink he ever had with a killer floor show that concluded with the Jap unsuccessfully trying to keep his entrails in his body. He always respected tikis and said they were essential in keeping bad spirits at bay. He thought the demise of mainstream tiki was not something to bemoan, but to celebrate, since it signified the slow healing of his generation.

Thank you for sharing that story Tik-Tok-Tac.

And ewww..... entrails..... I understand the context in and of the story, but to read it right before lunch... ewww.

On 2010-03-13 12:31, Chip and Andy wrote:

They don't have a bar you can "belly up to" and sit and hang out?

They have a beautiful bar you can belly up to. On the other side of the bar are the beautiful Molokai Maidens who will bring you 52 different drinks and a wide variety of appetizers both hot and cold.

No bartenders visible, just the Molokai Maidens.

I love the bartenders at the Mai Kai, but having seen them face to face** I'll stick with the Molokai Maidens.

Yeah, but It's fun to go out for pizza with Budu from the Molokai at Primanti Bros at 4AM.
When you, Andy, the Sarong Girls (Bree et al) and I went a couple of weeks ago (the grasshopper toast), the drinks were perfect, as were the cocktails Momma Q and I had on Saturday the 11th of April.
Last year, I was there 4-5 nights a week and spent enough to earn Dining Rewards points to fly to Europe for free (6k+). I can tell you that last year, the quality wasn't up to par in the Molokai and I was able to see the quality change from day-to-day and reported it through my reports to USAir which Pia got. I stopped going when the pump broke in the Molokai and the water stopped falling down the windows. I never realized how much a part of the experience was the water.
Their focus is back and I'm happy for those who are coming to the Hukilau for the first time so they may experience the famous Mai Kai quality for the first time.

**I love Troy from the back-bar, he is genuinely one of my hero's when it comes to bars and alcohol. He, unfortunately, has the perfect face for radio.

Glad to hear the ins and outs of the bars at the Mai Kai! Especially since I'm headin down for Hukilau.
But the best part was seeing Pittsburgh's own Primanti Bros in a TC post. HA!

Obviously, I read a strong positive in this entire thread. The fact that folks have discussed an inconsistency in the drinks at the Mai-Kai reveal the fact that they haven't succumbed to pre-manufactured options and are still crafting these drinks one by one.

The thing I feared I might see as I venture to my first Hukilau? A big metallic contraption hogging a section of prime bamboo real estate, glowing green and slow turning some signature drink. What would be just as gut wrenching would be stumbling upon bags of pre-made cocktail mix (just add rum to have your very own adult Kool-Aid Luau) to be scooped-up by bud-less tourists from some gift shop. Let's face it, "dehydrated mixology" is more of an oxymoron than jumbo shrimp!

So, if I happen to get a weak drink while swilling away at the Mai-Kai, then I will take one for the Tiki Team. I will bring my fez to half-mast and salute the traditions, knowing that a weak drink made by HAND trumps 20 over-sugared, strong drinks stirred by a mindless Hobart...hogging prime bamboo real estate.

Mahalo to all for restoring my faith in the process! Hukilau, I hear you calling my name!!!

Shaken AND stirred -

Vince Martini

The Mai Kai maiden in the waterfall with the 'hanging things' is Linda Perdue.

On 2010-03-14 13:23, GatorRob wrote:
Oh, there is one thing I wish the Mai-Kai would bring back on a regular basis. They still do it on occasion. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't. And that is: ice shells, ice cones, etc. I know they can't always get the glassware that these drinks used to be served in, but they can still do the sculpted ice if they want to. We know it's time consuming, but it adds so much to the presentation (which, by the way, enhances the perceived quality of the drink).

So, our dear Mai-Kai family, bring out the ice!

I count 4 ice sculptures in that picture.

That's Patricia in the backround. - Nibblegribitz

Now let's line 'em up (girls AND drinks) and behold from this late 50s/early 60s shot...

(Sorry for the break in the picture, but it's a really W-I-D-E shot.) Are all those drinks pictured better than the ones you can get in the Mai-Kai today? Hard to know for sure. The rums that were available back then seem to have been generally better than what is available now. We know that courtesy of this jaw-dropping post from a year ago over on Jeff Berry's blog. But, the situation has improved a lot in recent years with more premium rums available now than have been available in years. But those premium rums are expensive and demand a certain appreciative clientele to make it financially feasible. The Mai-Kai's drinks are already expensive to cover the enormous overhead expense of just keeping the lights on, the water flowing and the torches lit. I'm doubtful the average Mai-Kai visitor would tolerate much more in cost if that's what it took to increase the quality. (Not saying they need to, just thinking aloud.)

Pages: 1 2 3 96 replies