Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Lee's "Harrowing Brush With Death" - The Phoenix Rises! (pg.2)

Pages: 1 25 replies

Aloha Folks!

I just wanted to share my "Harrowing Brush With Death" Adventure that happened last Saturday nite...

As some of you may or may not know, I am one of the Pilots for the Cloud 9 balloon in Las Vegas. We take passengers up to a height of about 500 above the Strip for a totally awesome viewing experience. Here's the website if you wanna take a look- http://cloud9vegas.com

So, last Saturday nite was just like any other; lite breeze and clear visibility. I was at 500 feet with 6 passengers when the wind started to pick up a bit. As I started our decent, the wind, which usually decreases, started to increase. No big deal, really. It happens sometimes. But then the wind started to get a little too strong, and it started to rain. What happened next was, well shall I say, interesting...

please view the clip-

http://www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=12516&n=5400

What you see in the video is when things were getting CALMER. We stop flying when the wind reaches 20 mph and above. On the way down, between hanging on for dear life and actually Piloting the balloon so it would not descend too quickly and erratically, I noted a wind speed reading of 25.7 meters per second. That's about 57.5 miles per hour. Yes, we were virtually horizontal at times! I did manage to land the balloon safely and keep it from being smashed into the ground on either end of the wind-driven pendulum swing, and everyone got off safely.

As for me, well I guess Tangaroa Ru and Hina, the Goddesses of Wind and Rain, just wanted to pay me a visit that nite. They just came on a little too strong, I guess! Next time they come for a visit, I hope I'm on the ground and not in a 21-story tall balloon 500 feet in the air!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2010-09-26 21:53 ]

DANG!
Glad you survived that scary incident,Lee!

Hey Lee...congratulations...you are a hero just like "Captain Sully."
Sounds like a wild night. Glad things worked out okay.

S

Is that you screaming in the video? ;0

Mr. Lee's Wild Ride.

So, who bought you a drink for keeping them alive?

B

On 2010-03-11 12:43, Swanky wrote:
Is that you screaming in the video?

:lol:

Glad your still with us Lee!

TS

Well, it looks like you at least walked away with pilot credentials. The clip and the story both said in a positive tone, that you did what had to be done to keep everyone safe. Good job, your boss and the owners of Cloud9 should be appreciative of having you aboard. Better than an E ticket, I could imagine!

P

you always get the weirdest jobs. i'm glad you're okay. do you get another stripe on your epaulette now?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 3:11 PM

Congratulations on post #500 and surviving that harrowing ordeal to reach that number.

Tiki Lee, Sky Pilot!

T

Tiki Lee - The Capt Sully of Balooning !

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 4:10 PM

Congrats on doing a great job and keeping your cool under terrible conditions! :D

Had a look at the website, now Ive just got images of girls in air hostess uniforms in my head :lol: :lol:

Glad you made it. Next time take an extra pair of pants, or 6, just in case.

Great job, Captain Lee!

Glad to hear all is well, great job Lee!

8T

Well done buddy! We're proud of you. Such a cool customer. I mean pilot.

Gonzo!

Good job keeping your head and getting those people safely to the ground. You are a hero!
Glad your still with us and did not ruin your pants.

It seems like a great time was had by all. Did anyone ask if you would take them back up and do it again?

B

Wow - you managed to confirm my husband's every fear of hot air balloons - now he'll NEVER go up in one! But that's nothing - he won't go up the Space Needle either! Guess who gets to clean the gutters?

I'm glad you were able to get yourself and your passengers to safety. Talk about a memorable vacation! How DOES one become a hot air balloon pilot?!

Hi Lee, glad it all went well. I love thrill rides and that looked EXTRA fun. I hope you didn't lose your hearing from all the screaming! Wendy

Hey, Thanks Ev'rybody!

I just wanted to clarify that this balloon is a sealed Helium balloon, and not a hot air balloon. If it was a hot air balloon, it would have been destroyed in an instant. But because it is a sealed, fiber-impregnated rubber balloon, it can withstand gusts of incredible strengths... thank God!

And oh yeah, my pants say "thank you" for all the "good wishes". :wink:

CA

i was up in the one here in Orange County... and everything you described happen in my mind as we when up and down with calm balmy night without incident. I;m not afraid of heights or flying, just knew it would be a bitch in the wind......

SO GLAD YOU PULLED IT ALL OFF!!... they should put a Captain Kirk bridge chair on that thing for you!!!!

Hey Everybody!

Guess What?

THE BALLOON (and more importantly; my JOB) IS BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/25136271/detail.html

Happy Happy Happy!!!

Sky Pilot is BACK!!! Congrats! :D

Congrats!! :wink:

We are really glad to see the balloon back! We can watch it from our home and have missed it the last few months. We are planning on going up in it soon!

Pages: 1 25 replies