Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Exotic Island

Pages: 1 28 replies

My new art studio is in Amesbury, Massachusetts. The dream is to deck it out polynesian/tiki to the max like we ll know a great tiki lounge should be. Right now its definitely a work in progress.
When I moved in, the space was basically 2500 sq ft with 4 metal walls and a cement floor. Its in a large gray industrial warehouse just off our downtown!

I got to work building modular walls, and units that are not attached to the structure. I only rent here - so in the case of my demise or inability to 'make it work', I wanted the 'pieces' to be move-able and re-useable.

The bar corner

Looking toward the open, semi-professional kitchen....

I really need to find a windfall so I can afford to buy bamboo, thatch and matting so I can trick it out appropriately, but for now...

8'6" walls were constructed to somewhat hide the 18' metal walls loaded with electrical, gas and air fixtures nd pipes (the space was an automotive garage before my aquisition)

Many aquisitions from local defunct polynesian restaurants. Still have to build shelving and places for my tiki-mug collection and misc ephemera collection.

Looking towards the open concept kitchen - perfect for hosting events and parties for up to 50 people.

There was no kitchen here, so brought in all the equipment and built out the island, plumbing and electric.

Looking towards the lounge and stage area.

The stage

with a large open wall to show my 16mm film collection 'theater style' complete with a front row of theater seats!

Live band on the stage!

Thats the 'joint' so far - some how have to come up with about 5,000 bucks for necessary construction supplies, bamboo , thatch, etc. to really build out the dream. We will see how the next few months go.
If you're ever just north of Boston, I'm just off 95 in Amesbury, Mass. Stop in for a exotic cocktail and youre own private screening from my film collection! Always looking for someone to share the space with!

Online at
http://www.jonmooers.com
http://www.exoticislandartstudio.com

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2010-03-13 12:57 ]

WOW! :o That is AWESOME!

You do realize that you essentially built a movie set, don't you? You took a vast, vacant space (soundstage) and constructed a freestanding room, complete with loads of detail, additional doors, etc. with an open side through which a film crew can easily capture the action within said room.

But you took the whole idea tens of thousands of steps FURTHER and tricked out the rest of the space in ways I could only dream of! Your space is like the loft version of a Tiki bar!

It's incredibly cool and I only wish I lived closer. If I did, you can bet I'd be knocking on your door to take a peek inside.

Fantastic work!

Be----you----tee-----full!!!
What a fantastic looking place.

Uhhh, Jon? Can I move in? :D

So cool. What a great space you have there. I'm very impressed.

I am confused...is that a professional restaurant ??! It's AMAZING what some folks can build with their own hands! I would love to see the faces of folks arriving at a warehouse door and then being led inside. I dig that golden goddess on lava rock. A place like that must instantly convert the un-initiated. But how do you ever get them to leave? :) Congrats!

Mahalo for all the encouragement. The place is definitely a fun surprise for visitors to my warehouse. I have purposely left the exterior of the building completely industrial. The wow factor for visitors/guests to my art studio is big. Plans over the next few months include a airplane fuselage section just inside the doorway. visitors will have to slightly duck and pass through the seats and 'escape' out of the open end of the "plane" into the space.
Still to come - some thatch roofs over the stage, bar area and a storage room/computer room for my graphics work, and a couple of 15' palm trees in the center of the room. Would love to figure out a water feature somewhere in the room.
Its not a restaurant but have designed as a space where people can reserve the room for their own use, to hold events, meetings or parties. The bar is equipped with all glassware and ice machine and bar-sinks. All reserved room events are BYOB only. A host can choose to serve their own alcohol to their guests. The kitchen has serving ware for 50 and all kitchen equipment for guests to utilize. The idea of being able to host a potluck event and pour your own liquor, beer and wine certainly is a welcome choice with the crazy restaurant and bar prices in today's economy. The room is designed simply to supplement my artists income through the occasional events.
Dragon ware for up to 50 people and all the accessories

Jon, the room is killer! Did you find those green tiles locally?

Krist all mighty...that is insane. OK that third picture made me think "dumb dumb want gum gum." Looks like you have really invested a lot in that setup. I love the dishes and kitchen too. I look forward to seeing the aircraft addition, it sounds out of this world.

Jon,

Now I know what happened to all that stuff you got when "New Tiki" closed down. The place looks great, best of luck all the way around. See you in June at Ohana if not sooner!

That really is quite an amazing warehouse transformation. What an awesome space to create your own tiki environment!
If this is your artist studio...where do you do your work? the air just seems to scream creativity!

I'm looking forward to what else you have in store...

Can't wait to see this in person.

Looks great Jon!

W

That's really nice, how many does it seat?

Aloha from Exotic Island-
a coupla new areas I've nearly completed - thought I would post.
Still, in desperate need of Bamboo and carved tikis - just havent won the lottery yet, so working with what I have! Its hard to finish 2500 sq ft on a piggybank budget!
The room can seat up to 40 people - had a paid event last saturday night with 60 people quite comfortably and plenty room left for more standing!

New Booth - Im working on (needs bamboo trim)

Looking towards the bar

Tiki Craps Table - Roll dem bones at Exotic Island (definitely in need of some bamboo top rails)

Another view of the stage (needs matting and bamboo)
Next project is two 15' palm trees and some large plywood ornamentation
Thanks for looking and come visit soon.

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2010-04-26 21:33 ]

S

Wow, Jon, I am SO IMPRESSED! This has come so far since I saw it at the beginning... I can't wait to come back to MA and step behind your bar. Give a holler if you find yourself out west, and I'll see you at Ohana...

Suzanne

Holy nuts! Just found this thread, the parties you could throw there!!

CRAP...a Tiki Craps table...that is awesome. The tiles look fantastic.

D
doll posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 12:50 AM

I would make it as aself-sufficient as possible (solar power, carefully planted zone-appropriate food plants and sustainable soil if possible, possibly a fish hatchery and a place for seabirds to nest), and any building I did would be hurricane resistant (stone fortress type of building buried halfway in the sand) and have a place to store a boat so that it could dock in bad weather. In fact, such a "boat garage" might be useful for my personal submarine. Also, at least part of the house would be accessible only by diving into the water and coming up somewhere else, or by taking an elevator maybe to somewhere on the sea floor.

================

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Spam links removed. - 2010-10-19 06:14 ]

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 8:06 AM

Now I know exactly where my cabby is dropping me off - if I ever get to Amesbury, Mass - EXOTIC ISLAND!!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I'm at a loss for words but you know what I mean.

S

INCREDIBLE!!!!!

T

Amazing! It IS really a film set! Is that balcony level yours to use, and are there stairs? If so, I'd say put some little tables up there. If you hang some thin sheets or thatch from the top corners of the walls, it could look A-OK from above, too.

If not, another possibility is a rain storm. Put big sheets of plexi or lexan over one zone, say, the bar, overlapped and caulked together at all seams, and with a lip around the edge, also caulked. This should have a gentle tilt to one corner and should drain into a pipe leading to a large bucket for the pump, which doesn't need to be on the floor; behind a wall on a shelf just below plastic sheet level is even better. A 'wall' about a foot high made of metal or plastic window screening, stood up at edge of the plastic sheet all the way around, will catch splashes. The 'ceiling' about three feet above the plastic would be plywood covered with a navy blue sheet and lit by dark blue uplights; rub a zigzag of clear plastic hose over this and drill little holes. It'd be a long shot, but might be fun for your extremely theatrical setting.

Wow! I am impressed!

Lovelybunchofcoconuts

This Friday night as kick-off to the North East Tiki Tour, we'll be there!!!!

Can't wait! As beautiful as those photos are, you really have to be there to believe it!

HC

Man Jon you have a fine space going ! Too bad my babe is in Montreal this weekend she'll miss it. See ya soon brother and I'll see if I can find some 16 mm films to bring along.

few more details to add to the gallery!
The sign out front (recognize it?) I like the way it complements the warehouse vibe

A view towards the front entrance

You now enter through the wrecked fuselage of a Pan Am Clipper of the South Seas
(still have to finish curtains and many details including rocky terrain tostep out onto!)

Stage view (9the Wave performing live)

More to come very soon!!! a previously unseen corner!

Online at
http://www.jonmooers.com
http://www.exoticislandartstudio.com

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2010-11-16 10:54 ]

Wow, Jon! The place is even more amazing than when I visited in the Spring. I hope I get the chance to come back soon.
Mahalo,
Rick

M
Murph posted on Wed, Nov 17, 2010 4:19 PM

Pan Am Clipper! Too cool!

Post some close ups of the clipper... that thing looks rad!

Wow, this is very impressive !

Pages: 1 28 replies