Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Newbie: Greetings, mortals, from Baron von Tiki

Pages: 1 11 replies

Greetings ! Baron von Tiki here -- a complete newbie to Tiki and Tiki Central. I'm a substitute teacher from Wichita KS currently looking for work in another field. We have one sorta-Tiki bar in Wichita. It's a no-mixed-drinks dive-bar for rednecks, bikers, and other beer-swillers who don't know the difference between Tiki and Margaritaville. So, it's not much to write about. I prefer a local coffee shop, Riverside Perk, (and its Jungle Room), because of its lack of intoxicated loudmouths and its compliance with the city's No Smoking ordinance. (Bars are exempt).

I came to Tiki rather indirectly. I'd been peripherally aware of it by a friend's Tiki hobby, by thumbing through a copy of "Tiki Modern" at the bookstore, and from some font packages by the graphic design firm House Industries. But, I didn't really delve into it until just recently.

I suppose three things started me down the path of discovering Tiki: the TV series "Mad Men," a gift of a complete set of "Twilight Zone" DVDs for Christmas (my favorite show!), and my enthusiasm for our local drive-in theater, the Starlite Drive-In.

Coupled with interest in the vintage graphics used by most drive-ins, "Mad Men"'s and "Twilight Zone"'s depictions of pre-psychedelic 60s life led me to the internet and the library for books on drive-ins. From there, I pursued Space Age graphics and also discovered Mid-Century Modern interior design and architecture (particularly that of John Lautner and the Googie architecture of Wayne McAllister.)

In turn, these pursuits led me to my library's collection of Capitol Records' Ultra-Lounge series CDs, which made me aware of Space Age Pop and Exotica, which then led me back around to Tiki. Finally, I've jumped in with both feet with the purchase of Sven Kirsten's books "Tiki Style" and "Tiki Modern." A Tiki Magazine subscription is in my near future.

Although it was an odd circuitous route, I'm glad it worked out that way. I probably wouldn't have acquired an interest in Tiki had it been any other way. You see, I tend to bristle against anything with a Tropical motif because I despise the low-rent rednecky beach-bum attitudes of Jimmy Buffett Parrotheads. (Apologies to any Parrotheads out there.) When I discovered that Tiki wasn't Margaritaville and was actually a product of mid-century urban lounge culture, my attitude started to change.

Of historical Tiki, it is the graphic design of restaurant/lounge paper ephemera (menus, matchbooks, advertising) that appeals to me most. My degree is in Graphic Design, so I really enjoy the vintage typography, layouts, and color schemes -- some because they're fantastic and some because they're truly awful.

As a living modern subculture, what makes Tiki appealing is that, like original Tiki, it is a pastiche of various elements that makes no effort at authenticity to any particular culture -- It's pure fantasy. So, I can keep whatever elements I like (certain graphics, Tak Shindo, cool home Tiki bars), discard what I don't like ("Tiki clutter," most of Witco's wall hangings), and not worry about getting things "right."

Considering what I've seen so far in modern Tiki Revival, I think that this is true for a lot of Tiki enthusiasts. Creative people are making Tiki their own by bringing in elements not in the original iteration -- Tikiyaki Orchestra's blend of rock and surf with Exotica; Tiki illustrators including floating islands, mythic animals, and even monsters like The Creature of The Black Lagoon in their images. I'm even seeing minor hybrids like Tiki Hot Rod art and Tiki Rockabilly clothing in certain outlets.

If my user name wasn't a giveaway, my favorite of these hybrids, because of my love for Halloween, comic books, and horror movies, is Goth Tiki. Although a niche-within-a-niche, it does exist on the periphery of both subcultures. You can find it described on pages 9-10 of the book "Paint It Black" by Voltaire (the modern Goth musician and artist; not the French writer.) Succinctly put, If Tiki is a Dorothy Lamour jungle movie, Goth Tiki is "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Anyway, that's me. If you need me, I'll be in that castle perched at the lip of the volcano on the other side of the island. Ignore the bats. They're friendly.

Baron von Tiki

On 2010-03-15 01:33, Baron von Tiki wrote:
I despise the low-rent rednecky beach-bum attitudes of Jimmy Buffett Parrotheads. (Apologies to any Parrotheads out there.) When I discovered that Tiki wasn't Margaritaville and was actually a product of mid-century urban lounge culture, my attitude started to change.

Good stuff! Welcome aboard! Yes, you are a "newbie" but you already get it! You've obviously done your homework!

Finally, I've jumped in with both feet with the purchase of Sven Kirsten's books "Tiki Style" and "Tiki Modern."

Look for a guy here on TC by the name of bigbrotiki. He wrote a book of tiki titled "Book of Tiki" and is quite possibly the world's utmost authority on Sven Kirsten. 8)

Agreed! Also, if you can find one, grab a copy of The Big Book of Tiki. It's kind of hard to find, but well worth it.

Glad you have volunteered to serve up a heaping slice of tiki to your part of the nation! I'll be watching the 'locating tiki' forum to see if you have unearthed any hidden past in your area!
~Zero

Thanks for the welcome, everyone ! I've posted a few Tiki and sorta-Tiki things around the Wichita area. I added a photo to Mo-Eye's thread on Sidman's South Seas; Plus, I started threads on Riverside Perk and the Charles Shoots Fire Station #10. (Yes, a "Tiki" fire station for the Wichita Fire Department.)

There was an old Tiki lounge downtown that sat vacant for a long time. I know it was a Tiki lounge because that's all the original sign said. :) Now, an antiques store occupies the building. I may have to do some digging at city hall to find out what Tiki business was at that location.

As for "The Book of Tiki," I plan on getting a copy someday. But, since "Tiki Style" is a condensed version of "Book of Tiki" (and about 1/10th of the price), I decided to settle for now. Having a copy of "Tiki Modern" also helps make up for it.

Well, I'm going to dig in to that Martin Denny CD I just happened to encounter at Borders today. Thanks again for the welcome.

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect."
-Warren Zevon, "Werewolves of London"

[ Edited by: Baron von Tiki 2010-03-18 01:53 ]

If my user name wasn't a giveaway, my favorite of these hybrids, because of my love for Halloween, comic books, and horror movies, is Goth Tiki. Although a niche-within-a-niche, it does exist on the periphery of both subcultures. You can find it described on pages 9-10 of the book "Paint It Black" by Voltaire (the modern Goth musician and artist; not the French writer.) Succinctly put, If Tiki is a Dorothy Lamour jungle movie, Goth Tiki is "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

I think I know what you're getting at - Voltaire's "Cannibal Buffet" always makes it onto both my Halloween and Tiki party playlists! You're not the first person here to explore that crossover. This forum has a wealth of information and discussions on any topic you can think of that might loosely relate to Tiki. Use the "search" feature, and above all follow the rules. Or the Tiki Police will come after you...

Succinctly put, If Tiki is a Dorothy Lamour jungle movie, Goth Tiki is "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Hmmm hadn't quite put it that way, but you know.........made sense...lol
Welcome!!

On 2010-03-18 19:03, ka'lenatiki wrote:
Hmmm hadn't quite put it that way, but you know.........made sense...lol
Welcome!!

On 2010-03-18 07:56, Brandomoai wrote:
I think I know what you're getting at - Voltaire's "Cannibal Buffet" always makes it onto both my Halloween and Tiki party playlists! You're not the first person here to explore that crossover. [ie Goth Tiki]

Great! Maybe Goth Tiki isn't as obscure as it appears to be. Anyway, here's what Voltaire himself had to say about it. You can find this in his book Paint It Black: A Guide To Gothic Homemaking. I greatly recommend picking up this book. It's an excellent idea book for Gothifying most anything. With a little creativity of one's own, the stuff in the book can be adapted to Tiki decor.

*Goth Tiki ?

I recently went to a Deathrock party in New York City called "Curse of The Hearse." It was held at a tiki bar by the name of Otto's Shrunken Head. The DJs, Allison and Fritz, were spinning 80's deathrock tunes. At one point, I looked up at the video monitor to see *The Island of Lost Souls *playing. I sat there sipping my Red Devil out of a spooky tiki mug in a room adorned with skulls when it suddenly hit me: Goth Tiki ! I remember this !

Who would have guessed that Tiki could be Goth ? Well actually, your grandparents might have! In the 1930s, American filmmakers tapped into a genre that filled audiences with an ominous sense of dread. Many action and suspense films during that era were set in the jungles of Southeast Asia, Polynesia, and Africa where the wilds are thick, very very dark, and filled with exotic and unexpected dangers. Add to that backdrop foreboding scores with low-register, bowel-loosening horns and Afro-Cuban rhythms and you have a truly dark (if not classically Gothic) experience.

You won't generally find vampires in these films, but you will find plenty of other creepy characters. Some of my favorite films from that era are* King Kong; Son of Kong; and the aforementioned Island of Lost Souls.

Even Betty Boop joined in the trend. Watch some of the early Betty Boop cartoons and you will see here being spirited away to dark jungles by man-eating cannibals intent on picking a bone with here (or from *her). Southeast Asian, African, and Tiki motifs may seem like an odd choice for a Goth, but consider this: wherever there are cannibals (real or imaginary), there are skulls. . . lots and lots of skulls. (For an explanation of why skulls are Goth, go back to the beginning of this section)

Stuff that will make your room like a vampire tiki bar include: skulls, voodoo dolls, tiki mugs, big artificial vines and creepers, anything made out of bamboo, and a well-placed rubber snake or two. Pirate or sailor paraphernalia might come in handy and a life-sized skeleton is always a nice touch; dress him up like Gilligan (from * Gilligan's Island*) for some extra yuks.

Tiki hails specifically from Polynesia (Hawaii, Bikini, etc); But there is nothing keeping you from throwing in whatever fits your fancy that seems vaguely related to the concept. You would not be the first to wing it. It's not uncommon for people to thrown in elements from other cultures in the neighborhood -- like Malaysia, Thailand, or Indonesia--despite the fact that there is nothing Tiki about them. For example, the original * King Kong *(1933) takes place on some remote island in Southeast Asia, but all of the natives are black. They must have had some truly awesome canoes 'cause it's a * long way from Africa to Borneo !

Hey Baron...Welcome to TC!
What a great post coming from a newbie just recently getting into tiki!!
I am also from wichita....I think that only makes 2 of us here on TC!!
This is a great place....stick around for awhile!!

On 2010-06-05 21:46, Meheadhunter wrote:
Hey Baron...Welcome to TC!
What a great post coming from a newbie just recently getting into tiki!!
I am also from wichita....I think that only makes 2 of us here on TC!!
This is a great place....stick around for awhile!!

Are you the guy with the personalized Tiki license plate on the red PT Cruiser ? I've seen you on the road. . . . . (If not, there's a third guy out there in Wichita.)

HJ

Welcome, Baron von Tiki...are you really descended from German royalty ( the "von" in your name; who maybe did some sailing to the South Seas)?

On 2010-06-12 08:48, Haole Jim wrote:
Welcome, Baron von Tiki...are you really descended from German royalty ( the "von" in your name; who maybe did some sailing to the South Seas)?

As the German word 'von' means 'of' or 'from', my name means that I, like everyone else, am from Tiki -- the first man. :) As for my claim to nobility, I've got my land deeds around here somewhere. Hee hee.

Pages: 1 11 replies