Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

woman sues over clown shoes....

Pages: 1 29 replies

A 56-year-old Oakland Gardens resident who recently filed a lawsuit against a costume company and several other businesses was not clowning around when she was injured at a 2008 Halloween party while wearing clown shoes, the woman’s attorney said.

Sherri Perper, who lives in Oakland Gardens, filed a suit within the past week against Forum Novelties in Melville, L.I., as well as Rubie’s Costume Company and Party City, said Catherine Montiel, an attorney for Roslyn Heights, L.I., firm Miller, Montiel & Strano, who represents the injured woman.

Perper said she did not want to comment on the suit and referred all questions to her attorneys.

Her suit claims she was hurt after wearing a pair of large plastic shoes she purchased from Forum Novelties, a division of Rubie’s, and wore to a Halloween party Oct. 31, 2008. Perper is alleged to have fallen over while wearing the shoes, according to the suit.

“She sustained severe fracture injuries,” Montiel said of the incident.

But Perper’s attorneys would not disclose the amount of money for which the plaintiff was suing the companies named in the suit.

“She does not want any additional publicity,” Montiel said.

She said the Queens resident’s legs were badly damaged during the fall. The suit, which was filed in Queens County, alleges that the shoes bought by the plaintiff were dangerous. The case is currently pending.

Perper did not work as a professional clown, her attorney said.

A woman who answered the phone at Rubie’s Costume Co. said she would not comment on the suit.

Forum Novelties could not be reached for comment.

Read more:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/woman_sues_store_over_clown_shoe_2i47M0tT8kcA03ltNKeViM#ixzz0iSUwKV6P

what are your thoughts on this?
lucas?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 11:39 AM

She probably tried to walk regularly in the clown shoes, but the shoes are so long, you cannot walk regular heel to toe. You have to walk like a duck with your toes sticking out otherwise you trip over the front of the shoes.

I think Grog knows more about clown shoes than I do. Sounds
like Grog have experience.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 12:14 PM

Yes, GROG dress as clown for Halloween before, and GROG also dress as Evil Clown for Halloween.

If you've ever seen Ernie in real life
and checked out the way he dresses
you'll agree
that he needs NO clown costume....

Simpsons and Warner Brothers jackets do the trick perfectly....

How many more innocents must suffer this tragedy, before Congress finally creates a new federal regulatory agency to enforce sensible regulations and controls on rented clown shoes? As it is now, the whole costume rental business is just an anything-goes, Wild West danger zone of sartorial booby traps.

I mean, what's the point of even having a government, if they're not going to actively prevent or protect all of us from the negative consequences of stupidity, bad judgment, poor decisions, laziness, clumsiness, procrastination, inattention, gullibility, losing bets and wrong priorities?

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-03-17 12:43 ]

Three Words...
Universal Circus Healthcare

H

Universal Clown Podiatry Health Care is what we are talking about.

"what are your thoughts on this? "

I was going to share my thoughts but could not be reached for comment.

H

I think he was asking lucas in particular.

no.
tho lucas DOES have experience in this area...
as does Ernie
and woofmutt
(President of Clown Cobblers Union District 56283)
i wonder how you ALL feel about this situation...
stupidity
greed
lying for material gain
the psychology behind people who wear clownshoes
(the hardcore vs the novice clown shoe devotee)
Should people benefit from their own stupidity?
Is stupidity a vocation or talent?

Stuff like that...
Cause i for one,think this woman should get nothing
except a federal policy to affix warning labels on clownshoes....

BUT
after hearing what you all may have to say
that opinion may change....

i DO like clownshoes tho....
just not people who abuse them...

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 8:00 AM

As I stated before...

Only in America
The land of the absurd lawsuits

Now she is really making a clown of herself, without a costume!

Weirdest thread ever! Thanks Kinny, I love it.

Love, Jen

Thanks Jen!
What an Honor..

And yes,Zeta...
Americans are a strange brood...
Too many of them demand respect
where respect is not their due...
Too many of them have a false sense of entitlement
without expecting to work very hard for it...
and the powers that be
merely sit back
and divide and conquer us all....

These days
the laws are so convoluted and verbose
that we have forgotten the COMMON SENSE element...

plus the overall Last Days of Rome syndrome
with corruption and an ever degrading moral system in our society....

I think some of this must stem from the failure of our different organized systems
religious economic democratic
They have all shown themselves to be just as wretched as the rest of us...
Leadership by example....

any thoughts?
Didn't think clownshoes could get so involved.eh?

K

I personally find clown shoes about 3 - 4 sizes too small - depending on the manufacturer.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 9:30 AM

I have nothing against Sherri Perper for FILING a lawsuit...

Now if the judge awards in her favor possibly based upon a verdict given by jury of peers - THEN I'll be upset :x

What judge in his/her right mind is going to set a precedent like that?

Yes, its a hassle for all involved. I feel our judicial system has enough frivolous activity. Sherri Perper & attorneys pursuing a lawsuit like this...I mean a couple of years have gone by since the incident correct? Who really orchestrated this and for what purpose(s) beside the obvious rewards? That act of orchestration is suspect.

I always remember that lawyers are basically evil until the day comes when I require one to defend ME. I've had a few of those days in my life.

By the way - I'm scheduled for jury duty next month. I kinda want to be involved...kinda don't. If I get a case like this one, well, the Sherri Perpers in this world have slim chance for reward in my book...although there ARE two sides to every story, right?

GUILTY!
Sentence her to wear clownshoes whenever in a public place!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 9:58 AM

...and to pratfall on her bum for maximum yuks!!

• afterall she's wearing a damn clown-suit :)

Was she drunk? She might not have a clown leg to stand on if she was. People fall over drunk all the time and have no shoes to sue over! She's just another money-grubber looking for the easy money. Sentence her to Bozo hair for a year for filing a frivolous lawsuit!

... and a pie in the face.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 12:03 PM

JA JA!

I bet she didn't even need a fake red nose!

TK

i frequently wear my red clown nose and sport my rubber chicken too. however i will not ever ever EVER wear clown shoes. my clown nose has never injured me. on a side note, my clown nose and rubber chicken almost got me fired from my job. it seem fortune 250 companies DO NOT have a sense of humor. and yes it is my chicken and i'll choke it if i want too. nanner nanner nanner.

good to know talo!
:)

TK

ahhaah about the nose or chokin my fave chicken????

Big shoes means big.....oh she's a girl.

On 2010-03-23 17:38, talo ka wrote:
ahhaah about the nose or chokin my fave chicken????

both,Mr.ka...
both.

TK

ha...don't make funna my small chicken

did ya see the shirt llt?

[ Edited by: talo ka 2010-03-25 03:44 ]

Classic talo!
looks more like you're goosin that lil fellar
'stead of choking him...
:lol:

Glad to see you're playing it safe and avoiding the shoes....

TK

gooose or choke...1 thing leads to another...

Pages: 1 29 replies