Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fresh squeezed juice in the Tiki bar ??

Pages: 1 16 replies

J

Mai-Kai, Tiki-Ti, Trader Vic's, etc. ??

I know it's a pain, but who still DEFINITELY does it this way ??

Don the Beachcomber

My house (unless I'm making huge batches, then Nellie & Joe's for lime juice).

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 10:44 AM

Tonga Hut. Kirby's Rumpus Room. Spermy's Blowhole.

S

Lime juice for sure at the Mai-Kai, and at the Hideaway.

T

The 'Ona 'Alu'alu...I've definitely helped prepare/hand-squeeze juices there on a few occasions.

AND - the future "The Grotto" will feature hand-squeezed fruit juices guaranteed - old school Filipino Poly-Pop style all the way, brothers and sisters...:wink:...old school all the way.

Smuggler's Cove.

Fresh all the way!

Someone needs to grow a giant lime...like size of a grapefruit...now that would make juicing easier. I finally bought an electric citrus juicer...nothing fancy, but will try to make some fresh lime juice for my next party.

Is it acceptable to squeeze a batch and freeze it in small portions for later use (like in ice cube trays)? Just askin'

J

Mike, I don't think that really counts as fresh squeezed juice. Isn't that the same as using frozen concentrate? I fear that some classic old-school places here in So Ca have gone new-school with that approach. I'd name names but I already catch too much heat as it is. FYI, it ain't DTBC or Tonga Hut.

S

One thing I do that I think helps keep the lime juice "fresh" for a while longer is to strain it when I bottle it. I have a strainer in my funnel. That pulp if part of what can send the juice south on you.

I use my juice for at least a week out of the fridge, and sometimes longer. Never had an issue.

But, what do I know? Could be just as long lasting with the little bits in it.

Be glad when lime prices get back down. 60-80 cents each has been crazy. Used to be 4 for a dollar...

S

Be glad when lime prices get back down. 60-80 cents each has been crazy. Used to be 4 for a dollar...

Wow. Wish I paid that much for limes. At the moment they are about 60 cents each but depending on the season sometimes they can cost me up to $4 each.

Anyone try using a juicer for lemons & limes . . . peel & all? I know you have to peel the orange part off an orange, but what about lemons & limes? Will they be too bitter to use in drinks?
Just wondering.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2010-03-20 06:57 ]

On 2010-03-20 06:57, GentleHangman wrote:
Anyone try using a juicer for lemons & limes . . . peel & all? I know you have to peel the orange part off an orange, but what about lemons & limes? Will they be too bitter to use in drinks?
Just wondering.

Industrial juicers (bars using fresh squeezed juice use them) squeeze the whole citrus, rind and all.

The kind of juicer I'm talking about is like the Juiceman II or like the one Jack LaLane pitches on his infomercial that will juice just about anything! Quite different from "squeezing". Just wanted to be clear about what I meant by a "juicer".

Right, then you'll need to peel off the rind and as much of the pith as possible on all your citrus.

Pages: 1 16 replies