Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 3-17-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 8 replies

The theme of the March 17 show was -- in honor of St. Patrick’s Day – drinking! Next week’s show on March 24 will feature vocal selections. Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webcasting/webcast.htm

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: March 17, 2010

“A Good Sauce From the Gravy Bowl” taken from the CD box set: Cab Calloway & His Orchestra – Volume 2/Disc: A 1935-37

“Hawaiian War Chant “ by The Makai Gents Featuring the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa from their CD: The Wiki Wiki Grog Shop

“What’s the Use of Getting Sober” from the CD box set: Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five/Disc B: 1941-1944 [Released in 1942]

“They Raided the Joint” by Helen Humes from the CD: Blue and Sentimental [1947]

“After Hours” by Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack from their CD: Hawaiian Swing

“Fat Waller’s Original E Flat Blues” by Fats Waller from the CD box set: Handful of Keys: Disc Four: Ain’t Misbehavin’ [1940]

“Pineapple Lilt” by the Waitiki from their CD: Rendezvous in Okonkuluku

“One Mint Julep” by Hank Crawford on sax Jimmy McGriff on organ from the recording Soul Survivors

“I’ll Dance at Your Wedding” by Peggy Lee from The Capitol Collectors Series/ Volume 1 – The Early Years (3:00) [Released in 1947]

“Hey Eugene” by Pink Martini with China Forbes on Vocals from the CD of the same name

“Intoxica” by Jim Waller & The Deltas from the two-CD collection: The World of Surf Music, Disc One

“Scotch on the Rocks” by The Shadows from the Mojo magazine compilation CD: Cigarettes and Alcohol

“You Talk About My Drinking (but Never About My Thirst)” by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain from their CD: The Secret of Life

“Blue Champagne” from the 1963 recording: Anita O’Day Sings the Winners, with Russ Garcia & His Orchestra

“Old-Fashioned” by Xavier Cugat from his recording: Cugi’s Cocktails

“Martini Five-O” by The Blue Hawaiians from the CD anthology: Big Waves – Five Decades of Surf Rock

TM

Awesome! You got some Mai-Kai Gents in there!

On 2010-03-18 06:43, lucas vigor wrote:

I picked up their CD from one of the vendors at the Tiki yard sale at Forbidden Island, where I also picked up the Kava Kon CD. I think it was in 2007 or 2008.

BTW, I'm running out of music from contemporary Tiki music CDs to use on my show. I have everything put out by Don Tiki (including Don Tiki Adulterated), Waitiki, Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack, Pik Martini, the Resophonics, the Puppini Sisters, and the Tikiyaki Orchestra's Stereoexotique (it's the Track 13 sounds of ocean waves and birds you hear behind my voice during breaks -- I don't have their latest CD yet), and of course a boatload of contemporary and historic Hawaiian music and Exotica. I had a couple of recent recommendations of contemporary Tiki bands' recordings on another thread about Canadian Tiki music, but is there anyone else you would recommend?

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-03-20 07:54 ]

TM

On 2010-03-20 07:53, Dr. Zarkov wrote:

On 2010-03-18 06:43, lucas vigor wrote:

I picked up their CD from one of the vendors at the Tiki yard sale at Forbidden Island, where I also picked up the Kava Kon CD. I think it was in 2007 or 2008.

BTW, I'm running out of music from contemporary Tiki music CDs to use on my show. I have everything put out by Don Tiki (including Don Tiki Adulterated), Waitiki, Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack, Pik Martini, the Resophonics, the Puppini Sisters, and the Tikiyaki Orchestra's Stereoexotique (it's the Track 13 sounds of ocean waves and birds you hear behind my voice during breaks -- I don't have their latest CD yet), and of course a boatload of contemporary and historic Hawaiian music and Exotica. I had a couple of recent recommendations of contemporary Tiki bands' recordings on another thread about Canadian Tiki music, but is there anyone else you would recommend?

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-03-20 07:54 ]

This might be a band you could be interested in?

http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes

Haha!

But seriously,

Stolen Idols
Martini Kings
Sweet Hollywaiians

Lucas,

Thank you for taking the time to offer me these suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't find any information on Amazon or anywhere else on Yahoo! about how to buy CDs of The Smokin' Menehunes or the Stolen Idols. However, I found sites where I could buy the Martini Kings and Sweet Hollywaiians CDs (although the latter CDs cost-o mucho dinero, probably because the band is from Japan).

Please keep in mind that I'm not into downloading music from this Inter Web Thingy -- I don't even own an iPod -- so what I'm looking for are CDs.

Could you clue me in on where to obtain some of these?

Thanks,

Dr. Zarkov

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-03-21 10:05 ]

You sound like me...totally anti-tech!

I need to figure out a way to burn CDs again. I had one of those stand alone CD burners (Looks like a old DVD player) but they use a very specific type of blank CD, a CD-R digital audio recordeable. Those are hard to find, and I am not even sure they are making them anymore. The regular CD-Rs that are used for computer burning are readily available, but not compatible with my recorder. That's the reason I have not sent you any Smoking menehune's CDs as of yet....but I really think our sound would work well on your show...I am trying to get this all sorted out soon!

Oh, and "OnyaBirri" on this forum is the dude in the Stolen Idols. Personally, I want to hear more from this band. The chances for us west coasters to see this band live are few and far between, as they are from Florida.

On 2010-03-21 11:09, lucas vigor wrote:

I need to figure out a way to burn CDs again. I had one of those stand alone CD burners (Looks like a old DVD player) but they use a very specific type of blank CD, a CD-R digital audio recordable. Those are hard to find, and I am not even sure they are making them anymore. The regular CD-Rs that are used for computer burning are readily available, but not compatible with my recorder. That's the reason I have not sent you any Smoking menehunes CDs as of yet....but I really think our sound would work well on your show...I am trying to get this all sorted out soon!

No, I'm not totally anti-tech, I'm just an old hi-fi aficionado (I helped my father build his first Capehart stereo when I was a kid in the late 1950s), and I don't like the sound of the compressed downloads. I'm not such a fanatic that I think LPs are far superior to CDs, but I do prefer CDs to stuff played on iPods. See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2303138830/ (and feel free to leave a comment.)

I don't know what kind of computer or operating system you have, so I don't know what to advise in terms of burning CDs. My computer came with Windows XP and with it or the Windows 7 OS is bundled a CD burning program called Roxio which I have learned how to use. It's pretty simple to learn.

Because when I'm doing my show I hate to be switching out CDs constantly in three CD players in the radio studio where I'm broadcasting from, I burn all the songs I plan to play on a show onto a single CD in the order intended, which I then play in a single CD player during my show.

On 2010-03-21 11:09, lucas vigor wrote:

I need to figure out a way to burn CDs again. I had one of those stand alone CD burners (Looks like a old DVD player) but they use a very specific type of blank CD, a CD-R digital audio recordeable. Those are hard to find, and I am not even sure they are making them anymore. The regular CD-Rs that are used for computer burning are readily available, but not compatible with my recorder. That's the reason I have not sent you any Smoking menehune's CDs as of yet....but I really think our sound would work well on your show...I am trying to get this all sorted out soon!

As for working with a recorder or mike, you might try downloading Audacity, which is a free program, or Audition, which is definitely not free -- I think it costs around $350 or $450 -- but it's what the pros use.

Pages: 1 8 replies