Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thinking About Buying this Bamboo Bar and stools

Pages: 1 17 replies

Im thinking about purchasing this bar from a friend of a friend. Without me telling you what do you think its worth and what should I pay for it? (They did give me a number) Bar is 61 inches long, 28 inches deep, and 42 1/2 inches high.
Comes with two Bar Stools. These are the best pictures i have. Im going to see it in person tomorrow, it even looks like it could be rattan but i hope not. If anyone has info on it i would appreciate it.

Mahalo

They are asking $350 for it (bar and stools). I definately wont be paying that, but if i want to buy it i dont want to insult them either. If i knew a little more about it before going that would help. Still waiting for someone to drop some knowledge on me! Or hell an opinion if ya wanna step up to the mic.

Hey Mongoloid!

The few I have seen recently in antique/MCM shops usually are in the $800-$1200 range. Some are a little bit bigger, but some not in as good a shape as the one your posted. I found my brother one a month or two ago for $100, but that was an ultra-rare find. If you are in the market for a nice bar, $350 is a pretty good price for a bar like that (though I prefer barstools with a bit more style). If you can get it for less, I'd go for it. I'd bet there are a few other people on here who would be willing to pay $350 for a bar like that.

No "Think", just "Do".
Why would you hope it's NOT rattan?
Looks like a great piece to me! Nice and big, plenty of room. I think the price is fair for a bar of that size with stools... As long as the condition is good and it doesn't need a lot of repair/refinishing.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Go for it! If it is rattan and if no refinishing reupholstery is needed I would counter offer and $250 but inside you need to accept that $350 is not a rip-off either. Good luck!

It's rattan.

T

I like it!!!
$350.00s not bad.
And if it were bamboo it would be cracked
and not sturdy.
Thats why the used rattan for those things.
Somtimes Ash wood, thus Ashcraft.
Bamboo = hollow Rattan = solid

Plus ya gotta think what do they charge for the
new bars you buy at stores now?
Go in at $280.00, take cash.
Cash always better.
Take it outa your pocket and say I got $280.00
on me now.
If they wont go, have your wife, girl friend, friend,
make a big deal out of loaning you the extra $70.00 bucks.
Good luck!!!

I'd pull the trigger on that one.

J

I agree, the stools leave a little to be desired, but you could always make a nice seat cover for it. $350 isn't bad, but if you want to try to barter, i probably wouldn't go any less than $300. But if you can swing it, try $250. But all in all, $350 is a steal, especially if it is rattan.

I saw this bar on Craigs list.The bar alone is worth $350 all day long.The stools are
basically free or thrown in the deal if you ask me.Find out if the top is made of formica
or wood makes a difference .If I was not sitting on so much rattan right now I would
have already bought it days ago to re sell it.He who hesitates often loses.Don't jump
over a dime to save a dollar Mongoloid.If you like it..... buy it!! .
You asked for opinions...you got mine.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-03-20 10:02 ]

Well i went and looked at it and i wasn't impressed by it in person. The picture is a little deceiving. The slats on it reminded me of baseboards with not much of a bamboo look to them at all and whoever built it used hundreds of nails on it which are visible and kind of make it look cheap. Ya the counter top was nice but that alone was not going to sell me on it. The bar stools like most people said were not that great either and i kinda planned on ditching those if i did end up liking the bar. Anyways the bar didn't yell out "Buy Me" so i will continue my search. Mahalo to everyone who gave constructive advice and opinions!

just outta curiosity, what just happened here?

On 2010-03-21 11:48, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Read from top to bottom brah!

My two bits... The pics look pretty good. Since you hoped it wasn't rattan, maybe that's not what you're really looking for anyway. A bar AND stools is really good for 350. If you got away with 250 you'd be a god! That's the sort of price most people would be doing backflips over if they found it at a garage sale or something similar. As was mentioned before, a boutique would have it up around 1000 bucks or so and eventually get it. Also, keep in mind a cool bar is half the battle. Cleaning it up at home and piling on your mugs, rums, and other tiki trophies is what makes it a treasure.

Having said that, perhaps you should make the sellers info available here for interested TCers...

And having said that, I put a bar on craigslist a while back and asked 500 to see what would happen, but would have been quite happy with around 350 (which is about what I had in mind anyway).

On 2010-03-21 12:36, Mongoloid wrote:

First I did read from the top BRAH!!(BRO)
It sounded to me like you were looking for a way to 'get over' on your friend,and cut the price on him. what was next,advice on an end run on his 'old lady'?
then ,AFTER 99% OF THE RESPONSE WAS ,"IT'S A GOOD PRICE" AND "GO FOR IT".
You check it out and pass on it,only because it needed a little work.
Maybe you could ask for advice on 'how to get your friend to fix it up ,cut the price and deliver it for you?
THATS ,what I was asking.

On 2010-03-22 06:54, TIKI DAVID wrote:

It sounded to me like you were looking for a way to 'get over' on your friend,and cut the price on him. what was next,advice on an end run on his 'old lady'?
Maybe you could ask for advice on 'how to get your friend to fix it up ,cut the price and deliver it for you?

Not really sure why your so hostile Tiki David, but that was what i consider an over reaction to my simple advice. Im not going to fuel your fire by saying anything else but Aloha.

On 2010-03-22 07:18, Mongoloid wrote:

On 2010-03-22 06:54, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Not really sure why your so hostile Tiki David, but that was what i consider an over reaction to my simple advice. Im not going to fuel your fire by saying anything else but Aloha.

How the hell could anyone know what tiki david is saying or thinking?
Seriouly, how would anyone know that "THATS ,what you were asking."?
You post vague, half thoughts constantly and expect people to follow?
I have no idea how your mind works, & honestly, I don't want to know.
I do know that your pissed off baby-ish rants are pretty fucking annoying.

BBTD... deep breath baby. Come on over for a drink. :wink:

So then, is the bar still for sale?? Anyone else check it out? Is it new or vintage, wood top or formica, shelves, doors...
Enquiring minds want to know.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 17 replies