Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Coco Bongo Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 24 replies

Here are a few images of our Hawaiian WW2 Bar,more to come!

Gosh! That's beautiful...great photography too :)

Very nice place. Can you share some details and History of your beautiful Bar? Please keep the pictures coming. Awesone.

T

What I notice the most is that ceiling. More pictures of that would be certainly welcomed by me. It looks like there is a cross hatching on the boards from maybe nets.

Sweet Jebus that's beautiful!!!!

Beautiful!! I like the P-38 And Corsair. And is the other one a Hellcat? You have the mood lighting perfect. Great job.

T

On 2010-03-21 00:13, TikiVato wrote:
Very nice place. Can you share some details and History of your beautiful Bar? Please keep the pictures coming. Awesone.

SWEET! I concur more specific details/photos of how you created your entire Tiki space? Thortiki

Awesome! I've got a Corsair & a B29 going up in my lounge.

M
Murph posted on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 9:07 AM

Love it! Great place to grab a cold one after a long mission.

That's great!

The ceiling really tops it off (no pun intended).

Awesome!

What a great room! More pictures please and some info. on the space you used. It looks wonderful.
KG

Wow...good sized space and the ceiling is to die for. Someone has building talent...I agree, more pics and explanations. Nice photography/lighting.

Hey everyone - this bar belongs to one of my good friends dad (the original poster) I took these photos the other night, I want to let him explain it all, but I can say that it is one amazing place..

here is a little teaser:

The area the Tiki Bar is in was once our vegetable garden.
Around 2006 ,we took a trip down to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico and fell in love with the simple thatched Palapas down there. When we got home I decided to build one with some 6"peeler logs and 2" treated stake poles for the roof structure.Then we added some cedar roof slats and the thatching from Oceanic Arts.
We had our Hammocks in there for a year or two and slowly started modifying it into a Hawaiian Tiki Bar.There was'nt much design to it we just tried different layouts and kept adding Tiki stuff. My interest in WW2 gave the Bar its theme. Tommy Dorsey,Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller rule the stereo and the Mai Tais flow. The planes are all 1/18th scale ,and thats an Avenger Torpedo bomber not a Hellcat.

Great Bar.
Wonderful atmosphere, the whole WW11 thing is great, I think WW11 era style and Tiki bars are a great mix.
This thread just gets better and better.
Trader Bob...

My interest in WW2 gave the Bar its theme. Tommy Dorsey,Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller rule the stereo and the Mai Tais flow.

Sounds like my kind of place! Very well done - I see TC artist mixed in there as well. I enjoy seeing the transformations of spaces into tiki lounges, thank you for sharing your story and inspiration!

G

Here is a little bit more detail on the ceiling finish.
It started by putting a temporary peeler log in the center of the room and adding the stake poles one at a time.The stake poles from Home Depot were then tied together with cedar 1x3.Once it was all battened together we cut the center support out about 1' down from the stake pole tie-in. It initially felt a little flimsy,but gained alot of strength when when all the cedar was added.Its all at your nearby Lumber store ,except for the thatching.

[ Edited by: gsmelton 2010-03-22 20:19 ]

The place looks great & I dig your choice of tunes.

W

Great bar and concept, a World War II lounge is what I'm going to build too... as soon as I get out of the barracks!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 9:53 AM

Beautiful!

I must admit at first glance (page 1) I thought this was an indoor build -

• I guess the ceiling should have tipped me off. Built on the patio? :o

Like those before me, I must say the theme is just right. WWII & pilots -
the poly-pop birth era. Nice.

No doubt a relaxing environment, very warm & cozy still allowing you to groove with the exotic. Inspiring. Thanks for posting!

M

What a beautiful bar!! I love the shape and the design. Everything really fits the space. I love it!!

G

Coco Bongo at Night, there is a Tiki garden to the left and vegetable garden to the right.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 29, 2010 7:26 PM

Nice Tiki bar.

I hear you're not too far from Tonga Hut.

W

That last shot looks really nice.

Pages: 1 24 replies