Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Look at San Diego Craig's List for items added today--Prices drastically REDUCED 7/22/10

Pages: 1 8 replies

By searching the subjects of vintage rattan, oriental lamps and Big Bear on San Diego Craig's List under the categories of furniture by owner and collectibles, you will find a number of items I finally posted again for your consideration. I inherited all these items from the estate of relatives who owned the Big Bear Hardware Store between the 1940s and 1980s. Watch for a few more 1940s vintage items to be added to San Diego Craig's List over the next week or so. (Special consideration given Tiki Central members.)

MORE PHOTOS ADDED: AAAArgh! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! I followed instructions about how to add pictures and was doing great...until the tiger paintings duplicated themselves over and over, and now I don't know how to delete the extras. Maybe that's a job for tomorrow...I'm ready to turn in tonight.

By the way, further research on the net yesterday showed me I'm asking a bit much for the two Koa/Mahogany/Monkeypod wood articles, so I'll drop the price, but haven't decided on what to ask yet. Been too busy getting ready for company. I also have a three-tiered pretzel table (like the ones in the photo below) in fair condition I don't want to refinish and will be offering that at a quite low price in a week or so.

Also available next week will be a much smaller painting of a tiger on black with three-band bamboo frame--part of this set my stepdaughter decided yesterday not to keep for sentimental reasons, so gave it to me to sell with the rest. Stay tuned.

Cheers.

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-03-28 23:29 ]

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-03-28 23:46 ]

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-03-28 23:55 ]

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-03-28 23:58 ]

Someone out there may be interested in my postings on San Diego Craig's List today, July 22. Always the optimist, last year I decided I'd wait for the economy to improve before I again posted items from the estate I inherited for sale. Guess I was hoping for everyone's sake that would happen...but it hasn't, so I've drastically reduced the asking prices on the vintage furniture, art and antiques in these photos 'cause I need my garage back. (It seems in retrospect I had them priced too high in the first place, but I'm naive about these things, so please be kind.)

If you're interested, take a look at http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/fuo/1856331903.html and that will take you to the chaise lounge/recliner set. If you'll search my phone number listed in that ad, it will lead you to prices for the barrel chairs, two table-top wooden pieces, two Oriental lamps, two very large silk paintings and one smaller one. Don't know if it's okay to post prices here, or I would. Hope everyone's having a great summer.

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-07-22 18:33 ]

Having just read the Marketplace rules, I can't find a rule that says I can't post prices. So, in the interest of saving you time and for clarity, here goes:

1. Rattan chaise/recliner and matching ottoman--asking $399 for the set.
  2. Rattan 46" rotating, glass-top coffee table--asking $395.
  3. Rattan barrel/swivel chairs--two available at $95 each.
  4. Oriental Pagoda wooden lamps--two available at $89 each.
  5. Original paintings on silk (tigers) framed under glass in three-strand rattan--two LARGE paintings 46" tall x 20" wide--asking $125 each.
  6. Original painting on silk (tiger) framed under glass in three-strand rattan, 21" x 17"--asking $95.
  7. Carved Koa/Mahogany table decor: two-foot tall leaves--asking $69; Pineapple design tea set/lazy susan/6 cups--asking $75.

All reasonable offers considered. I REALLY, REALLY want my garage back! Help me help you, heh, heh.

Cheers,

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-07-22 18:56 ]

[ Edited by: waterbaby 2010-07-22 18:59 ]

I had a childhood friend in the early 50's named Diddy. His family owned a sportswear/hardware store up in Big Bear. It's been many years...do you know if he was part of that family?

Cheers, Gary

That's quite a lamp!

Thanks, Monkeyman for posting links and photos. I'm a Tiki Central neophyte...literally a "baby"...and don't have a clue how to post, so bear with me. Today I added nearly everything else to SD Craig's List from the estate I inherited when my guy/love passed away a year ago. You'll find them under "furniture" and "collectibles" by searching vintage, rattan, 1940s, tiger, lamps, Koa wood. I've been wandering Tiki Central since last summer, learning and laughing my socks off, so even though I'm only a temporary Tiki because of this inheritance, discounts will be given Tiki folks for keeping me in stitches and teaching me bunches. I love the Mahalo spirit. And thanks again for the photos Monkeyman.

Hi,
Saw your Bamboo Furniture in Craigslist. Very nice. Can you share with us the techniques you used with the Linseed oil? How did you prepare the Bamboo? I picked a three band sofa in San Diego last week that can use refinishing. I tried Howard's but that does not have the Golden look I'm looking for. You can see the sofa under Home Bars, Tiki Nui. If you visit, you will see some chairs like yours that I picked up in sonoma last year.

TiVato, it's interesting you should ask. I knew absolutely nothing about rattan a year ago, so I ended up cleaning the furniture two times two different ways and still wasn't satisfied with the results. Then I lucked out when I found information on Tiki Central and followed it to refinish the rattan the correct way to get the warm honey tone you may be able to see in the photos. The first time, I just used a dampened rag and dampened toothbrush to get all the dust and grime out of all the nooks and crannies, which was quite a chore, since at that time I also had a six-band, four-piece sectional and two, three-tier tables, in addition to the pieces I posted this week. However, when I got all the rattan transported to my own home and saw them in better light in my garage, I couldn't believe all the grime still in the grooves, so I started cleaning all the pieces the second time--but using a stiffer brush with some dish soap added, being careful not to use too much water. I finished with a light coating of Pledge. Aaargh. That process got most of the dirt out of the grooves, but it didn't remove the tiny dirt lines that had worked themselves into the varnish finish over the years. That was about the time I finally joined Tiki Central and read the proper way to refinish rattan. 1) Use 3M Heavy Duty Scour Pad, being careful to always work WITH the grain and using just enough pressure to remove only the varnish you wish to remove--all or a small amount. (I added a little warm water to the scouring pad when the grime was deeply embedded and used a stiff toothbrush and Q-tips, especially inside the pretzels. The scouring pad was what finally buffed out the grime embedded in the varnish.) Make certain you dry the rattan as you go because you don't want the rattan water-soaked. When entirely clean and free of dust (use a tack cloth, if necessary), start applying LIGHT coats of boiled linseed oil with a soft cloth, letting it set awhile before buffing it to a shine with a soft dry cloth. (Don't put too much on at once or let it set too long, or it gets sticky and too difficult to buff to a shine. You'll get a feel for how much and how long by trial and error.) You can wait a few days to a week for the second coat (depending on how warm the weather/room), and another week for the third coat, repeating the process the way you originally did. If you find you have a sticky spot you can't buff to a shine, just reuse the scouring pad lightly to buff it smooth and start that spot over. If you have the time and patience, you can keep up a monthly addition of linseed oil for a year, especially if the original rattan isn't in great shape to begin with. My rattan was in pretty good condition, so I stopped at about five applications of linseed oil, which yielded the golden glow I wanted. By the way, others may prefer to have a hard varnish finish on their rattan, but I don't know anything about that process. I just always loved the natural glow of woods myself, and that's why I chose the linseed oil process. A matter of personal preference. I'm certain those who buy these pieces will have their own ideas about how to make them even better. I'm not in the business of rattan renovation; I just wanted to be proud of what I was putting on the market instead of selling junk. And have patience. This took me several months of elbow grease because I'm kinda' slow, picky and obsessive/compulsive about doing a good job. Plus I also refinished all those teensy pieces of lamps and table decor the same way. By the way, a search of Tiki Central also yields information about how to clean super filthy rattan prior to refinishing it. You coat it with some type of super-duper remover; then wash off the remover and filth in a car wash. Honest. I read it last summer, but can't remember where. Maybe someone else can tell you where on this site or give further info. Hope this has been of some help. (Tomorrow I vow to learn how to add pictures to my posting!!)

Thank you for your help. I will try it. Did you see the look a like chairs in my bar, the Tiki Nui ?

TikiVato, I just had the time to lookee-see at all your photos. What a collection and mucho work. Congrats. You've got the Tiki bug bad, and that's goooood. Glad to be of some help. The linseed oil might really bring your sofa back, especially if you keep after it for the next year, adding a coat every month. Cheers, Bonnie

Pages: 1 8 replies