Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Dean Short, Legendary Tiki Bar Owner Answers Your Questions!

Pages: 1 10 replies

Dean Short, the man behind the Pago Pago, Ports O'Call and (of course) Kon Tiki, has graciously agreed to answer some written questions about himself, his bars, his history.

We were wondering if anyone had anything useful, constructive, historic or sensible they would like us to include in our list of questions to the man. Unfortunately, time isn't on our side. We need these PDQ (like, by Saturday). Sorry for the short notice, but that's how it is.

We'll do our best to include any (sensible) questions in a list which we will be giving to Dean's Grandson, who in turn will give it to Dean.

Thanks,

M&M

Hi, this will solve a mystery for us. We found this mug years ago and added it to our collection. A friend said it comes from the Pago Pago and we would like to know if that is correct. Thank you, Wendy and Dan

Interesting. I don't really know enough about the place to ask specific questions. Some of these might already be in your list:

1.) Was he the first owner? When did it open?
2.) What was his inspiration for opening a Polynesian place?
3.) How did he pick the name: A movie? A song? Another like-named Polynesian place he knew?
4.) How did he become aware of and work with O.A. and meet Bob and Leroy ? (if it was him who did...)

On 2010-03-24 17:30, cheeky half wrote:
Dean Short, the man behind the Pago Pago, Ports O'Call and (of course) Kon Tiki, has graciously agreed to answer some written questions about himself, his bars, his history.

We were wondering if anyone had anything useful, constructive, historic or sensible they would like us to include in our list of questions to the man. Unfortunately, time isn't on our side. We need these PDQ (like, by Saturday). Sorry for the short notice, but that's how it is.

We'll do our best to include any (sensible) questions in a list which we will be giving to Dean's Grandson, who in turn will give it to Dean.

Thanks,
M&M

First of all. are we talking to cheeky half or M&M?

R

Are there any drink recipes he'd like to share with like-minded folks?

Dan & Wendy: We'll send the picture.
Sven: We know that Dean was the first owner of Kon Tiki & I'll add the other questions to the list.
Unga: We are one and the same :)
Rupe: Added

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 7:41 AM

A couple of questions for Mr. Short:

1. At the beginning, what was the ratio of military servicemen versus neighborhood blue collar clientele in your Polynesian establishments and did that change dramatically later?
  2. What event stands out as the most memorable regarding a celebrity visit to one of your establishments?

Thanks, G

T
  1. How did you get into the restaurant biz?
  2. Did you ever meet others in the Polynesian restaurant biz Trader vic, Don, ECT..
  3. Who built your restaurants? Was it hard to find a builder?
  4. Did you visit other places to research restaurant/ Cuba?
  5. What was it like in your restaurant at that time, You know the drinks were new,
    the food was new, no one had heard of things like a Mai Tai.
  6. What is the best story from your restaurant past?
  7. Why did you sell/or otherwise leave your restaurants?

Thank you for letting us hear about your restaurants!!
Having grown up in a family that made their living from
the restaurant biz I know you must as I do
miss it a lot.

THis may be a little too pushy, but does Mr. Short have any old photos, blueprints, etc. that he might like to share with us from any of his Tucson establishments?

Oh and anything about the mugs he chose (i.e. did he design them, how many did he actually have at his places and info about Carmax & Firehut)

One more thing: How does Dean feel about the resurgent interest in his Tiki restaurants (people collecting on Ebay) and in the resurgence of Tiki in general?

Question for Dean, Do you have relatives in Michigan?? My mothers maiden name was short, she has 13 siblings and many relatives, he oldest brother Chuck lived in arizona and has many childeren also. Just thougt I would ask.

Pages: 1 10 replies