Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lua Huna Lounge, Edmonton

Pages: 1 20 replies

Here's a few shots of my basement bar when we first moved in. I had basically just unpacked the mugs and hung a few things on the walls. No major renos since then, but I'll be keeping track of my progress on this thread.

The house was built in 68; the bar, originally done as an Olde English pub, was probably built in the 70s. I was thinking something along the lines of pirate's grotto or cave for a name but I wasn't thrilled when I translated it into Hawaiian. I came across "lua huna" (hidden cave) and thought it had a nice ring to it. Plus, being in a basement, the name suits the space.
One of the first things I did was put faux leopard panels in the bar front:

I haven't taken any new photos, but I've made a few changes including some new artwork and a cheap solution to cover up the bad wallpaper behind the bar. I'll take some new photos and post them this weekend. Here's my to-do list for the next couple of years:

1. Paint ceiling tiles to look like cave ceiling
  2. Install sink
  3. Paint wall mural behind bar (or have friend paint, since I couldn't paint the broad side of a barn)
  4. More stuff!
    Sure, I've got some junky, Indonesian masks and other things So-Cal Tikiphiles would frown upon... But materials are hard to find up here and I don't like buying things online so I make do with what I can find locally. I'm always open to suggestions. More pics to follow!

You need some nice rattan bar stools - with me sitting in one of them.

Nice space, I'm sure it will just get better & and better over the years as you keep tikifying it. I like the name.

LUV LUV LUV that couch!!! Serve my cocktail to me there please. :)

I really think the wood could work quite well if you push the nautical angle. A bunch of netting, ship's wheels and pulleys... It's got so much potential in there!

Nice work so far. And I agree with the VampRN...that couch is very cool.

On 2010-03-27 14:39, VampiressRN wrote:
LUV LUV LUV that couch!!! Serve my cocktail to me there please. :)

I'm with you.....fantastic couch....I'll be sitting there also....:)

Thanks for the kind words about the bar and about the couch in particular! SDT, you have a running invitation to the Lua Huna Lounge, although you'll have to settle for those barstools for a while. (They have sentimental value - they belonged to my late grandparents in probably the best rumpus room I've ever known!) VampRN and Kraig: next time you're in Edmonton, let me know! Just don't come between September and June! And, Slacks, I'm definitely going to push a bit into nautical/pirate territory. I want it to feel like a smuggler's cave, full of treasures from various exotic ports. Here are some new photos:

The brass fireplace screen is still there - I haven't found a new one that fits in any better...

In the centre is my brand new (to me) Tikiville original! It better be worth something some day...

The Indian head is a heavy, solid piece of teak that used to hang at the old Tiki Tiki in Edmonton (see thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16685&forum=2&hilite=edmonton )

My cheap solution for behind the bar was to use bamboo blinds that we had laying around the house. It doesn't look amazing but it'll do until I can get my artist friend to do a nice mural.

You can see where the blinds end and the pub wallpaper remains. Luckily, it's not visible until you get up close to the bar.

The photos are from the old Beachcomber in Edmonton. I have Sweet Daddy T. to thank for those! (see thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5028&forum=2&hilite=edmonton )
Here are some without the flash:

The undercounter lights use 20 watt halogen bulbs. I think it's too bright, so I'm going to try 10 watt bulbs and see how it looks.
So, to recap from before, I want to paint the white ceiling tiles to look like a rock cave ceiling in dark greys, I want to get my friend to paint a mural behind the bar, and I want to make it a wet bar. Once all that's done, I'll be pretty satisfied! Anyone want to come over for a drink? I finally learned how to make allspice syrup...

Very nice Tiki retreat! I'm a new member, and inspired by your lua huna. I've just started my tiki patio and hope to someday have a place as nice. One day at a time.

Da room is looking like a real getaway! ( bet ya still hear the new baby though lol)
Glad to see my long hours on the laundry room floor with a chisel have gone to a place of prominance!
keep posting the shots!

What a great start! Heck-a-va mug collection too. Now, if it was me, and it's not me, I'd change the color of those whte walls pronto.

On 2010-03-29 12:00, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
What a great start! Heck-a-va mug collection too. Now, if it was me, and it's not me, I'd change the color of those whte walls pronto.

Yeah, I thought about that. When I paint the ceiling tiles, maybe I'll paint those walls to match. The texture may even make it look a little more like cave walls with the right paint job. Could work, but that'll be a project for further down the road (the wife says the bedroom, downstairs bathroom, and kitchen are bigger priorities... but what does she know?)

I like it! I'm curious how you plan on painting the tiles to look like cave. It sounds awesome. I know there are some types of foam that take paint and are light enough to attach. I also think just painting would work as well. Can't wait to see the progress.

I have no idea how I'm gonna' do it! But, luckily, I have a friend who's a wiz at these things. He'll know what to do. Slacks Ferret used spray foam and paint to awesome effect in his Kanaloa Lounge ( http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35709&forum=20&25 ), but I'm not handy enough to even think about trying something like that! I think there's a trick using sponges or something to give it the illusion of texture. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it, like, NOW! But it's gonna' be a while...

Here are some updates of my mug collection, for the latest swap.

This is a killer space you've got going here. I just got a copy of Tiki Modern to use as inspiration and I keep looking at different elements of bars here on TC. I've found that if you simply ask people how they got their effects they are pretty straight forward and will tell you how its done. Then do a test and you will see you can do a lot more than you think. In any case this room is awesome and you have a nice collection of stuff. Keep up the good work!

warm cozy cave here. Had braveheart feel to first now something completely different awesome

Thanks, Suicide Tiki and gold zephyr!

T

That's an awsome transformation. It shouts 70's to me.

F

What a cool room to begin with! that house must have sold itself. I like a good pub, but can see that woodwork begging to be a in Tiki bar as well.
The lighting is great, especially behind the palm, but it is a bit bright under the bar. I have a string of similar 20 watt halogen bulbs and found a good solution. using a 5-way dimmer switch i can vary the light for whatever reason from just a slight glow to bright enough to read by.
great work so far!

I put 10W bulbs in the bar front under-counter lights, which is much better! I suppose I was biased towards this house when we were house-hunting because it had the best bar/rumpus room of all the homes we looked at. Maybe I should have placed more emphasis on, oh, I don't know... upgraded windows, newer furnace, reno'd kitchen and bathrooms... In the end, I'm afraid the bar is going to cost me a lot more than what I put into it!

It looks great and dont sweat the small stuff....wife and child are fine right ?
The rest of the bills and boards will work themselves out in the end .

Hey Tikiville! Where you been? Yeah, things tend to work themselves out sooner or later...

Pages: 1 20 replies