Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Moku Heihei - UK Home Bar - Updated May 3rd 2013 pg4

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

Stage 1.

6m x 3m conservatory (approx 19' x 10').

Build Photos:

The front of the conservatory is almost all glass with double sliding doors.
The side walls are approx 6' tall with obscured glass windows above (to meet planning requirements, 75% of the addition has to be glass/clear roof).

The rear wall was rendered/pebbledashed giving a very uneven surface, and a pain to fix electrics to then patch convincingly.
It was decided to remove the pebbledash, fix all electrics, then place a false stud wall over the top to give a more even suface to fix bamboo/matting to.

Three weekends of hard graft with a hammer and chisel made for a more manageable area.

The end walls have been painted a deep red (not white! LOL), as they will be covered with furniture/pictures/masks/stuff in general, so bamboo/matting would be wasted on them.

Lighting is a problem, since the roof is not set up for hanging lights from, so all lights will have to be fixed to the back wall.
The aim is to have several lights all fixed to the same switch, some surface mounted (bulkhead lights), some hanging from hooks (fishing floats, puffer fish) and a couple of small lamps stood on top of the side walls.
A dimmer swith has been installed to allow a much lower level of 'mood' lighting.

Speaker cables have also been installed at this point to 'hide' them as much as possible.

End walls:

Lower left back wall:

Upper left back wall:

Right, back wall:

Rear wall boarded out and Fine Lahala Matting fixed to the walls:

Looking quite rough at the moment - but the finishing trim has to go around the matting yet...

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2013-05-03 13:54 ]

Needed some bottle shelves behind where my bar is going - so one weathered scaffolding plank later...

Lookin' good Pikeys Dog! Love the ceiling/roof!

It's looking good. Nice Zacapa too!

It's exciting to see a transformation this dramatic and cool. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Much aloha and fun,
John

Rough? You've done a great job on the Lauhala matting!

On 2010-04-08 04:48, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Rough? You've done a great job on the Lauhala matting!

Thanks, not easy to handle on your own, but i think I have the knack now...

Started with the bamboo...

More work to my bottle shelves...

Shelves are getting there but not quite finished...

More to follow this weekend.

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2010-04-15 10:20 ]

I really like the dark color on your bamboo. Great work so far!

Chris

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-04-15 10:26 ]

Nice one, Pilkey!
Looking quite good!

On 2010-03-30 15:22, Pikeys Dog wrote:
Needed some bottle shelves behind where my bar is going - so one weathered scaffolding plank later...

I'm thinking you're trying to go for that Old Ship's Store look there? Maybe you could try the old Butane Torch & Wire Brush trick to "Witco"-ize it?

[EDIT] Taking the torch to it outside, I mean.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2010-04-15 18:13 ]

Wow...amazing so far. That roof is some awesome architecture. This bar is going to be great!!! When can ya come over to my place for a build...LOL.

Just about ready to start treating the walls, most of the trim is now in place.

Hopefully most of it will be finished this coming weekend - then I can get all of my 'stuff' out and in situ.

Photos to follow.

T

Outstanding work. Where do you get all your bamboo supplies? I love the black bamboo. I added some to my bar in the Tiki Nui. It was expensive here in California, I can't imagine how expensive it in England. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Yeeeah (Pikey's) Dog, it's looking really, really cool. :)
I'm looking forward to your next progress pics.

Tikivato -- you may already know this but a great way to create your own 'black' bamboo is to just take a propane torch to 'blonde' bamboo. If you do it gently, in a painterly way with strokes, you'll just brown it to perfection (and avoid charring the wood). It looks just like the stuff that you buy. That's what I did for Hula Sue's and was really happy with it.

T

Mr. PupuPants, I am very familiar with Hula Sue's as it has been an inspiration and enjoy all the updates. I didn't have the time to blacken bamboo and found it quicker to drive a couple of miles to Oceanic Arts and pay for higher costs. I would love to try my hand at blacking the bamboo in the future.
Keep up the great work Pikey.

PD

On 2010-06-02 20:42, TikiVato wrote:
Outstanding work. Where do you get all your bamboo supplies? I love the black bamboo. I added some to my bar in the Tiki Nui. It was expensive here in California, I can't imagine how expensive it in England. Can't wait to see what you do next.

I bought some fencing panels off an eBay seller who had cleared out the bankrupt stock of a Thai Restaurant outfitters.

Decent sized Bamboo is very dificult to find in England, so I was extremely pleased to find these decent sized fence panels with the lengths already split in half.

I puchased the last 9 panels (for approx $150 including delivery) and have only used 3 so far - the others will be used for their intended purpose, to create a secluded deck outside the room.

PD

Some progress pictures... last months progress

PD

This months progress... unfortunately I'm busy at work, so progress has been slow...

Managed to get my mugs unpacked...

Looking very good. Nice mug collection too.
http://www.cheekytiki.com can supply materials if you need them.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 5:34 AM

Looking great! Love the mug display and the doorway with the floats - tastey!

A couple of updated pictures.

Original film poster - the inspiration for the bars name...

Another recently framed picture in position (the cable hanging down is from glass float lamp that is to be mounted on a driftwood sconce above).

The second window has now been 'netted' and the first of the floats has been hung (the largest is as big as my head!):

All photo's are very bright as flash had to be used.

Looking great! What did you put on your Lauhala matting? I like the finish.

Darilyn

On 2010-07-15 22:00, LiddleLola wrote:
Looking great! What did you put on your Lauhala matting? I like the finish.

Darilyn

A combined varnish and stain - "light oak"

The fishing float lamp is now in situ.

Photo with flash:

Photo without:

Just rewired a cool lamp - it's made out of Horn.

Head over to the collecting tiki forum to see the PNG masks etc that have been put on the walls...

Not updated in a while as progress has been slooow...

But here's a few additions:

WWII souvenir? photo

Some beermats/coasters and a piece of tapa style material I received in the last Mug Trade:

Some postcards framed with some grass matting I also received in the last Mug trade:

M

I like the frames,did you make them? The old post cards are cool too.

No, they were a lucky find in a discount store - approx $3 each...

I bought 10, I wish I'd bought more now.

T

I like how you used your tapa print material and sea grass in your frames.

It is looking great. I love your mug cabinet. Wonderful collections. :)

Nice progress. The float lamp is looking good.

I'm impressed ... Great work.
I like your Tiki-Mug collection.

W

Nice post cards and you got really lucky with those frames!

Not posted on here in a while - no real additions inside, but the outside has had a major reworking...

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2012 7:46 PM

Love it!

Wow...you turned your yard into a fabulous little paradise...you are quite talented.
GREAT WORK!!!!

B
Bonj posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2012 10:51 PM

Nice one. I like the pebbling. That is what we are planning to do here.

Bloody hell, you've been busy. That's looking really good. Next year when it's more established it'll probably look like a tropical oasis. Nice work!

Thanks,

Still lots to do - the garden shed is next for some work, plus there's a lot more 'props' to sort out...

Just needs a couple of years growth on the plants and it should have a more jungle atmos.

Thank you so much for all the photos. It was so much fun to see how you accomplished each step. Now we need a photo of you out there enjoying your new tiki space. When the plants grow you will be in Hawaii every day. Cheers, Wendy

H

Very nice. Love how you have utilized the space. I also like those wicker chairs on the patio. More pictures when possible please.

Fantastic!!!

Love what you've done with your space. :)

very nice work!

wow, I just love what you've done with your backyard. You planned it out well! love the whole design!

Pages: 1 2 70 replies