Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Carver, First Project

Pages: 1 13 replies

W

Hi all,
A sometime lurker here, I finally let the chisel fly.

Please don't ask me to describe it...it is what came out of the log when I started chipping. I know there is a lot of work to do, but I am feeling somewhat pleased with the results so far.

This is my first attempt at anything like this, and I am sure more will follow. A very enjoyable way to kill several hours. :wink:

The wood is Poplar, quite dense when wet and pretty stringy. I was pleased to find out it actually cuts pretty well. I assume it will crack profusely as it dries.

Will in Nor Cal

T

Hey Will, welcome to TC. Good job there. I haven't carved poplar. It is very white isn't it! :P What did you use to carve him with?

On 2010-04-01 17:36, wilbilt wrote:
Please don't ask me to describe it...it is what came out of the log when I started chipping... I am feeling somewhat pleased with the results so far...A very enjoyable way to kill several hours...I assume it will crack profusely as it dries.

You'll go far with that attitude. You're letting the wood guide your carving, you're having fun, and you don't care if all your hard work ends up cracking! Way to get through that learning curve. :D

Also, that beer in the background probably helps, too. :wink:

S

Welcome! and a fine looking early on tiki. Feels good, your hooked.

T

Mahalo !!! glad to see a carver. That piece is very smooth what kind of wood?

B

On 2010-04-01 19:32, tikigodz wrote:
Mahalo !!! glad to see a carver. That piece is very smooth what kind of wood?

The wood is Poplar, quite dense when wet and pretty stringy. I was pleased to find out it actually cuts pretty well. I assume it will crack profusely as it dries.

Sorry couldn't resist :wink: :wink: :0

Great carve! That would color is very cool, will it darken much as it dries??

W

On 2010-04-01 18:49, TheBigT wrote:
Hey Will, welcome to TC. Good job there. I haven't carved poplar. It is very white isn't it! :P What did you use to carve him with?

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, the poplar is very "white". The trees are very fast-growing and can become a nuisance. I had to remove this tree because it was becoming a hazard to my house.

Currently, the tools I have are an old 1/2" straight wood chisel, a utility knife and a 4" angle grinder with 60 grit flap discs.

W

On 2010-04-01 21:04, Beachbumz wrote:

Great carve! That would color is very cool, will it darken much as it dries??

Thanks. I am already thinking about the next one!

I don't think it will darken much. A stump I cut a couple of years ago is still pretty light in color.

W

On 2010-04-01 19:19, 4WDtiki wrote:

On 2010-04-01 17:36, wilbilt wrote:
Please don't ask me to describe it...it is what came out of the log when I started chipping... I am feeling somewhat pleased with the results so far...A very enjoyable way to kill several hours...I assume it will crack profusely as it dries.

You'll go far with that attitude. You're letting the wood guide your carving, you're having fun, and you don't care if all your hard work ends up cracking! Way to get through that learning curve. :D

Also, that beer in the background probably helps, too. :wink:

I don't pretend I have any kind of artistic talent, so that probably helps. I have had the desire to create some Tiki for awhile, but not sure how to get started. I grew up in So Cal, but have been up in landlocked Nor Cal for about 25 years. I miss the "beach" stuff.

And that is good beer. Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, brewed near here in Chico. It helps to mellow the ol' melon. :wink:

T

On 2010-04-02 05:06, wilbilt wrote:
Currently, the tools I have are an old 1/2" straight wood chisel, a utility knife and a 4" angle grinder with 60 grit flap discs.

Wow, good job.

Welcome to TC and that is a great start. Nice detail on the mouth. As you do more carvings you will start to get more depth into the wood. My first carvings were shallow cuts. Being nervous not to carve to much out and ruin it. It looks like you have a knack for it so keep up the good work.

BT

It's a tiki from the movie Avatar :wink:

Nice job, keep at it. (Some blue stain might actually be really cool on it).

W

On 2010-04-02 13:00, Tikilizard wrote:
Welcome to TC and that is a great start. Nice detail on the mouth. As you do more carvings you will start to get more depth into the wood. My first carvings were shallow cuts. Being nervous not to carve to much out and ruin it. It looks like you have a knack for it so keep up the good work.

Thanks...I would like to go deeper on the eyes, but not sure how to go about it without ruining it.

W

On 2010-04-02 13:16, Badd Tiki wrote:
It's a tiki from the movie Avatar :wink:

Nice job, keep at it. (Some blue stain might actually be really cool on it).

Yeah, I haven't seen that movie, but I think you are right! :wink:

My wife says the mouth looks like Homer Simpson. I can't argue with that!

-Will in Nor Cal

Pages: 1 13 replies