Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Jagged Tooth Tiki mugs- an overview

Pages: 1 12 replies

Z

I have seen many questions popping up regarding the jagged tooth style of tiki mug recently, and it seems that there is lots of trouble ID'ing them. Please add any pics & descriptions if you have 'em... :)

Here are the 3 most common varieties I have seen around:
The Libbey, Orchids of Hawaii, and Shonfeld's mugs

There is also a blue glaze version of the Libbey mug.

Below is the bottom mug detail:

The Libbey Mug name is raised lettering, the Orchids info is recessed, & the Shonfeld's info is printed on top of the glaze.
Often, especially after numerous washes, the Shonfeld's mug can lose the printed information on the base.

If you guys 'n' gals can come up with any other jagged tooth manufacturers or good stories on your own Jagged Tooth Tiki experience, add em in!
Cheers,
~Zero

How about the plastic tumbler version, currently available in a rainbow of colors:

Buzzy Out!

At least some of these were sold by Linens-n-Things in Pina Colada kits like this:

N
Naneki posted on Fri, Apr 9, 2010 7:37 AM

On 2010-04-09 05:44, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
At least some of these were sold by Linens-n-Things in Pina Colada kits like this:

Mystery of the Frankoma-esque glaze solved.

Thanks.

Z

PockyTiki came across an Orchids R-5 that does not list the manufacturer on the base:

His initial inquiry thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39187&forum=5&6

Cost Plus World Market is selling Jagged tooth mugs right now(Summer 2011)...Anyone know who is manufacturing them? I asked, but they didn't know.

~Zero

Zero, I saw them on the World Market website sold in sets of 4 (2-amber & 2-green). All the info I could get from them was that they are made in China. I will let you know if I hear anything else back from them.

Z

were the amber mugsjagged tooth as well, or the other design I saw at the Mkt? I wouldn't mind an amber jagged tooth to keep my cheap Libbey company...
~Zero

MN

The World Market ones should be Libby. You should be able to special order them from restaurant supply warehouses. Or maybe they are on the shelves waiting to be purchased.
Four years ago a warehouse down here was going to charge me $2 per mug. I would have to buy the case of 12 and pay the shipping of $24 because it was a special order. I said no thanks! I'll go to World Market and buy em for $4 each with my $10 coupon on $10 or more purchase. :)

Looks like the amber are jagged toothed as well

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10969871

Comes in a set of 4. 2 amber and 2 green. $12 for the set.

I have two old Orchids mugs that were made for the Hula Hut. One in green and one in brown.

The Luau Hut also used these jagged tooth mugs, don't know of any other restaurant that had their names on them.

DC

Z

Those Luau hut mugs are very cool, Dusty!
With the World Mkt mugs,I picked up a green one (they aren't stocking the amber version in Napa), and they don't seem as thick walled as the traditional Libbey mugs. The glaze is better, too. So hopefully Libbey has improved the quality of their work! Right on!
~Zero

U

Here is another version of the jagged teeth mug. The stomach is rounder and the arms longer and less pronounced. It is glazed on the bottom and there's no markings or label. Sort of a muddy blue in color. Who made it?

Pages: 1 12 replies