Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Ceramics by J. Velour (new stuff pg 4)

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

I have gotten back into doing ceramics again after a long 12 years. The last time I was in a class was high school. I wanted to get back in for years and finally I did it. Here's some of the first pieces I got back. They are all hand made, no molds. All bowls, except the tiki-footed bowl, were thrown on a wheel. The last two bowls are hand painted. They are experimental and will have refined products soon.

Red glaze on a black clay to become the BloodBowl.

This bowl was inspired by the one in The Book, page 184

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-05-02 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2005-01-19 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: johnnievelour 2006-03-30 20:27 ]

C

The blood bowl is awesome. When do they go on sale? :)

NICE!!!!!

Tikivixen, perhaps you'll get that red tiki yet!

T

Very nice work! I'd like to order a tapa bowl and the blood bowl with Tiki feet!

:tiki:

Oh, My! J. Velour is one talented man. Put my name on the waiting list please.

-Weird Unc

Senor Velour~

Holy Moly! That's great. I too like the tapa, but it's the blood bowl that does it for me. I think because everybody's bowl that you are going to make can be considered a true one-of-a-kind. No two exactly alike!

Is PayPal ok with you? :wink:

D

Sweet Blood Bowl! Where do you take your stuff to get fired? Do you have your own kiln?

Well its about frickin' time JV! I've been waiting to see your work for some time now and I must say I'm very impressed! I'd like a dozen blood bowls and a dozen tapa bowls. Your check is in the mail...

Johnny be good, real good.

Say Johnnie,

What you need is a good manager - and I'm just your man. I like your work, it's good, it's real good. But ya know what, this tiki town can be kind of rough on a kid like you. So, let me tell ya what's what here...

First off, you start producing this fine merchandise, as I need a new car, er.. ah... I can make ya some real dough kid. Next, you sign this little agreement me and my business partner in Bong-Pop Enterprises put together. Now, don't be bothering with the fine print now. Ah, it's all for your own good now, I mean you trust us, right?

So, you can't make up your mind huh... Well, I tell you what, you just sleep on it tonight, and me and Poly will be back in the morning.

Night kid...

P
PJ posted on Fri, May 2, 2003 11:29 PM

Put me down for a blood bowl with the tiki
feet. Looks awesome!

Great work, Johnny, I always counted the Lava/blood bowl as one of my favourite concepts, and you interpreted it nicely.
It exists in two smaller sizes too, by the way.

C

YEAH! Those are killer! keep up the awesome work , keep havin fun and postin' pics. Definately keep us posted if you start going into production.
Chongolio

HH

sweet! I really dig the blood bowl with tiki feet.

Real nice, are you still gonna bring 'em to the oasis next weekend? Was hoping to see em in person.

-stuckie

Johnny,

Can you make me a ceramic Aloha Shirt Mug? I've always wanted one.

Welcome to the world of long hours/low pay/high satisfaction? of the artisan.

Great stuff!

AC

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-03 16:54 ]

Damn, and I thought your hairstyling was your main talent!

Nice work on the bloodbowl. I think a little increase in the midsection there and you got yourself a Volcano-bowl!

Keep makin, start selling! :)

I definitely love the blood bowl with tiki feet. I am totally in for one if not two. Great work!!!!!

JV looks really nice. lava good baby.

B

Those are nice bowls johnnievelour.

Yes JohnnieV,

I showed some friends the pictures you posted and they agreed that those are some of the best bowljobs they have ever seen.

:o

Thanks everyone.
I will be bringing them to the Oasis.

The smaller BloodBowl cracked through the bottom, but that one was exparimental to see how the glaze would look and flow on the black clay. The red is one of the best colors for that type of clay.

I do like the shirt mug idea, AtomicC. I'll see what I can do. Just don't expect something right away.

I have been working on a few more, unfortunatly, they won't be ready in time for oasis as I had hope. I'll post them as soon as they're done.

Better yet, How about a ceramic aloha shirt-that way I can wipe it clean when I dribble on myself.

johnnievelour, killer mugs! put me on the list. I'd love to get loaded sippin me drink out of them!

B

Great bowls of fire! Nice job JohnnieV.....we want one too...........

M

johnnievelour, the Blood Bowl w/Tikis is a really cool and inspired piece of art! I love the big thick drips and the great attention to detail on the glazes. Also, nice idea using the Moai for feet. And I agree with tikimonkey about the Volcano. If you made it into a Volcano Bowl that would just be the ultimate. If you ever decide to sell'em, I'm definitely buyin'.

ModMana :drink:

Do you have any plans on vending this year at Oasis V JohnnieVelour?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-12 00:43 ]

Haven't seen Johnnie V. 'round here in a while. I love his work and hope he's gonna sell at TO5. I bought two last year, one of 'em a Blood Bowl and I love them both.

B

I love the glaze work on the blood bowl! What glaze are you using. What cone do you fire at?

Almost all of my stuff is hand-built. While I have a wheel, I HATE THROWING, as I can never center. I've been known to leave my studio to get my husband to center for me, cuz he's got de big hands!

I hand-carve and use underglazes for bright colors.

How are you setting prices? I'm struggling with that right now. I want to at least get back what I paid for supplies (red glaze being so expensive) plus a little for my labor, but have found nothing sells in this area. I tried ebay, and have had no response.

That blood bowl is gorgeous! I personally like the design work on the second one.

It's so good to see another ceramicist here. I was starting to feel lonely amongst all of these wood folks. The talent is amazing. Welcome back to the world of clay! Once I got my hands into clay, I decided I'm never going back.

Do you have a studio? Your own kiln?

I want to trade secrets with you! I know you're going to do wonderfully!

B

Forgot to say that you can see some of my ceramics on the I'm new topic in the creating tiki forum. I'm not new anymore, but you get the idea.

I would love your opinion! You can find out more about my on my profile. Looking forward to getting to know you!

On 2005-01-12 12:50, beachin wrote:
I love the glaze work on the blood bowl! What glaze are you using. What cone do you fire at?

Almost all of my stuff is hand-built. While I have a wheel, I HATE THROWING, as I can never center. I've been known to leave my studio to get my husband to center for me, cuz he's got de big hands!

I hand-carve and use underglazes for bright colors.

How are you setting prices? I'm struggling with that right now. I want to at least get back what I paid for supplies (red glaze being so expensive) plus a little for my labor, but have found nothing sells in this area. I tried ebay, and have had no response.

That blood bowl is gorgeous! I personally like the design work on the second one.

It's so good to see another ceramicist here. I was starting to feel lonely amongst all of these wood folks. The talent is amazing. Welcome back to the world of clay! Once I got my hands into clay, I decided I'm never going back.

Do you have a studio? Your own kiln?

I want to trade secrets with you! I know you're going to do wonderfully!

I don't have a studio or kiln of my own. I'm enrolled in a class but we can do whatever we want. The instructor I have how does a lot of slip casting so I'm going to give that a try.

The studio fires mostly at cone 10. The black bowls I do need to be at cone 10 to become black. The clay starts as a reddish color.

I will post some other things I've been doing soon.

D

DawnTiki asked: Do you have any plans on vending this year at Oasis V JohnnieVelour?

Stupidly I passed on getting one of JV's pieces at last years Oasis...if he's vending again this year I can tell ya I wont make the same mistake. Sure would like to know... is you is or is you aint? :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-15 15:45 ]

B

I don't know if you are selling any of the blood bowles but I would like one if you are. Thank you.
Bob

B

On 2005-01-12 00:39, DawnTiki wrote:

Sorry, but fill a newbie in. What is this event about which you refer? Might I be able to do something like that? Details!

TIKI OASIS, check the events forum or so a search on the site. Mothers day weeken tiki mecca! in Palm Sprins at the Calinte Tropics with are lil buddy Casey no less.

On 2005-01-17 00:38, beachin wrote:

On 2005-01-12 00:39, DawnTiki wrote:

Sorry, but fill a newbie in. What is this event about which you refer? Might I be able to do something like that? Details!

Check out http://www.tikinews.com/tikioasis/tikioasis.html

On 2005-01-15 14:52, DawnTiki wrote:
DawnTiki asked: Do you have any plans on vending this year at Oasis V JohnnieVelour?

Stupidly I passed on getting one of JV's pieces at last years Oasis...if he's vending again this year I can tell ya I wont make the same mistake. Sure would like to know... is you is or is you aint? :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-15 15:45 ]

Johnnievelour sez to DawnTiki: Yep, I'll be sellin' at Oasis.

Hooray for Johnnie Velour! I am the proud owner of a few of his beautiful ceramic pieces. Glad to hear you'll be back at Oasis. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us.

-Weird Unc

D

Johnnievelour wrote:

Johnnievelour sez to DawnTiki: Yep, I'll be sellin' at Oasis.

DawnTiki sez: Yipppeee!

TB

Stupidly I passed on getting one of JV's pieces at last years Oasis...if he's vending again this year I can tell ya I wont make the same mistake. [ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-15 15:45 ]

Here's one Utopiandreem got at last oasis from JV.

Tbird.

Here is a few of the new pieces I have:

Blood platter. I stained the white clay so the red glaze would show up better.

A flower pot

Two bowls

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2005-01-19 13:34 ]

Beautiful pieces, would love to get the vases for growing pineapple tops. Nice work.
What all are you going to sell at Oasis?

B

I love the two bowls. They have a very rustic feel to them. Nice work!

Here's a bowl with tiki feet i'm working on:

inside:

Shells:

under the shells:

I have been working on some puffers.
These were done using Raku firing. They are more brillant in person with their matalic glazes.

T

NIce bowl. I really like the shells too. How big are they? Damn that's alot of cats.

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2005-07-13 18:36 ]

tikicleen and i are the proud owners of this custom bowl that johnnie created. we absolutely love it. JV this bowl freakin rocks!

i just felt the need to reiterate that this bowl is simply breathtaking.

it is such a privilege to get a custom bowl from jv.

:) mahalo!!! :)

Pages: 1 2 73 replies