Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Disguising a fridge

Pages: 1 16 replies

TB

Just wondering how others have disguised their fridge.
I have a medium size fridge in my bar and I want to make it less obvious, any ideas? paint, tapa, ect ect.
Post some pictures of yours!
Trader Bob.....

Put a sign on the front that says "FREE BEER". Everyone will think its the most beautiful thing they've ever seen!

MR

Just get some hawaiian fabric and glue it to te front. You can use magnets for a temporary hold to see if you like it.

I may cover mine in fabric...what is the best kind of glue to do that with?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of other fridges. :)

one of the Easyiest ways and best looking paint it Gloss Black ruststoluem , do it in a garage some were its not dusty or windy the paint drys slow so it,ll flow out and leave no dry sreaks . the black looks great doesent stand out and can always add decor to highlight it . when I was in the Custom car days we had a store next to us were they sold refurburshed frigs stoves ect we painted them from Candy apple red to Purple yellow ect . just my ideas .

A

I agree- painting is a good way to go, though you could use it as a canvas for a specific design.

I worked for a painting company that did interiors and props for Chevy's back in the day, and we
painted many a fridge door with lots of ageing and often lettering (Icy Cold Beer! etc with
those cool icy cold fonts) I think a tiki scene would be awesome! Make sure to seal it against
scratches when done.

H

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to replace the handles with something like this:

This particular refrigerator door pull is available from here:
http://www.firstimpressionsint.com/refrigeratordoorpulls.html

B

On 2010-04-08 06:48, AlohaStation wrote:
Put a sign on the front that says "FREE BEER". Everyone will think its the most beautiful thing they've ever seen!

Now THAT'S funny!

On 2010-04-08 08:41, VampiressRN wrote:
I may cover mine in fabric...what is the best kind of glue to do that with?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of other fridges. :)

I have had good luck with 3M Industrial Spray Adhesive's Heavy Duty grade, you will find it at Home Depot etc.

Any pictures?
Need some inspiration, I hate looking at the thing its depressing me!
Trader Bob...

A

Don't be depressed Bob. I have this monster behind the bar. Early 1950's Kalvinator. If someone was to give this thing any energy star rating I'm sure the star would go supernova in a heartbeat. I haven't been able to come up with any ideas to make it fit in better so there it sits. Vintage house, vintage bar and vintage Kalvinator. But it keeps everything nice and cold.

That is a great fridge trav...you don't really need to disguise it.

If I got a bamboo print wallpaper, what do I glue it on with and seems like I would still need to paint around the edges and gasket? What kind of paint will work on the gasket and not peel off?

I agree, Trav. Let it stand out. It just screams Mid Century rumpus room.

OK Trader Bob, here's some inspiration for you. These are not tiki, but just proof that a fridge CAN be painted

(This could be shelves full of rums instead of books)

Another option would be to pick out or design a graphic you like and have it printed on vinyl and wrapped like I did my BBQ

(PS - I got permission from the artist)

Note to future TC generations - since this is not tiki artwork I linked to these pictures rather than uploaded them to TC. After a while they will have linkrot and be gone :)

Heres a couple i have done and a beat box cooler.

Those are great!!! What kind of paint did you use on the gaskets?

Pages: 1 16 replies