Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Kiki's Howdyloha ...Polynesian Western shirt for guys!

Pages: 1 23 replies

Hey you all! As people find out that I sew I keep getting the question, "Can you make me a ..."

The answer to the above question is YES! Whatever you've got, I can make it. I've passed out cold on the ladies accessories and now I'm working a few new angles on menswear! I've been sewing and patternmaking for over 40 years and can custom make just about anything you want. Your pattern or mine, your fabric or mine, any idea, any genre or time period! I love making vintage reproductions and am very skilled in fitting regular people.

So, Big Toe and I were chatting one evening about some shirts he remembered from Hawaii in the '70s that was a Western style with Hawaiian print yokes - perfect for the Hawaiian surfer! And he said "Can you make that for me?" ...

Anyway, here it is. Big Toe has the first one. I'm making more and will make them strictly on a one-at-a-time, made-to-measure basis. So what that means is you send me your measurements and color choice and I will make you a shirt. Ladies, I have patterns for women, too, so I can make a Woman's version easily!

Send me a pm if you're interested, ask any questions yoou might have and let's get you a super cool shirt made for the summer!

Thanks for lookin and see you all soonest!
Kiki v.

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-04-12 08:00 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-05-26 23:06 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-07-18 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-07-18 10:11 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-07-18 20:42 ]

C

Beautiful!!!!!!

That must be the shirt that you & 'Toe were chatting about a few months back when we were hanging at Kinny's studio?

It's FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Yep! That's the one, Caroline! Finally got it done. Toe's a hard guy to pin down and I actually made it with no fitting at the halfway point. Just had to adjust the hem when he finally tried it on and it was good to go.

did you sew those teeny fibre optic cameras in there like i asked? :wink:

beautiful shirt on a beautiful man....

GOOOOOOOOOO KIKI!

SHHHHHH!!!!! Kinny! I told you not to say anything... we'll look at the secret footage very soon!

Very nice Kiki, you should sell a batch to Lucas and his Hulabilly band :)

R

Awesome Kiki! I love it!

It actually makes Toe look hawt....IMAGINE THAT? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys... these would look pretty awesome on the Hula Girls! :) Yeah, doesn't Uncle Toesy look dapper? :wink:

Just wanted to post some new pics!
Here's the most interesting man in the world! Stay thirsty, my friends!

Working on a couple of orders now! If you want one before Tiki Oasis, now is the time. See you all soonest possible!
XO, KvT

That is great KVT! The best Tom has ever looked!
Yeehaloha!

Me Likey! But you should call 'em alohowdy shirts

Kiki,
I remember a surfware company around 1971-72, maybe HangTen? put out a western/hawaiian shirt
close to your design, I did have a couple in my closet, Nice stitch'in girl!

Thanks guys! Well, the name came about during a rambling conversation with Squid over coffee, and then he designed the logo label for me using his newly created "Western" font! If you look at the pic of the shirt hanging, you can see the label inside the collar. So Howdyloha it stays!

ATP, one of the guys I'm making one of these shirts for (Kevin, I don't know your TC name!) had on a fantastic western shirt in a Hawaiian print at Bamboo Ben's Garage Sale that was made by, I think he said, OP. I have a pic of it somewhere that Toesy took, but can't post it right now. Several people have told me about these shirts, but that's the first one I've actually seen. If anyone has pics or vintage shirts like this, I'd love to see them!

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-05-27 12:57 ]

It could have been OP (Ocean Pacific) in fact I think it was, all us kids growing up around the beach then
wore OP shirts,shorts,surf trunks & beach flops as a daily uniform.

And,oh yea, Puka Shells, I hope that looks does not make a comeback soon! :lol:

Yeah, I grew up near the beach in So Cal too. I spent my high school days in painters jeans, desert boots in winter and flip flops the rest of the year, op shirts, and puka shells! :wink: Yep, even the surfer girls wore that uniform!

Here's Kevin in his cool shirt!

No, no. We made necklaces and bracelets out of watermellon and cantelope seeds. Hot.

Huh, I never saw that Mrs. Boo! But I did collect a box full of those tiny mussel shells and made a necklace of of those!

T

My experience back in the 70s growing up in Huntington Beach? OP was SHIT!

In my warped little teenage mind (parallel w/my peer group), OP was for "In-landers" and "Tourists". My neighborhood group would not be caught dead in a pair of OP shorts (considered too short and limp-wristed if you will)...Puka shell necklaces were tolerated as long as your latest girl gave it to you as a token of love and sex.

Our standard clothing at that time - I remember this well - was Kanvas by Katin boardshorts, Hang-Ten t-shirts and double-layer colored foam flip-flops that we would decorate with stoner graphics with black sharpie pens (JOB & Zig Zag, 'LUMBO GOLD, Led Zeppelin, KISS, WHO, wave imagery, "locals only", the Wedge, HB rules, Infinity etc), corduroy and brush denim Levis, Earth shoes and wallabys.

We were so f'ckin conformist too it cracks me up thinking back on those days.

All of this would have been pre-Ramones/Sex Pistols 1976 era. After those bands became our focus everything changed. Cheers! G

Greg, you kill me! :wink:

Just finished another one of these shirts! This was truly custom with long sleeves and cartridge cuffs. Too cool!

Kevin looks sharp in his new shirt!

If you're interested in one, send me a pm and I'll send you the details. Price is $175.00 for short sleeves. Long sleeves, cartridge cuffs all extras.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-07-18 10:13 ]

Wow, love the Western Hawaiian shirts! Great job!

Looking Good KvT!

Thanks guys! I have one more almost finished and then I'm open for new orders!
Ladies, too... don't let the guys have all the fun. :wink:

Got the last one finished! This one belong to Roger aka HB Tiki!
Here's a few pics:

Detail:

And here's Roger in his new shirt!

Let me know if I can build one for you! :wink:

Pages: 1 23 replies