Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Makiki Tiki's Mugs

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

AMAZING WORK! I really love the hard "wooden" edges of your sculpting and the wood grain is killer...id love to see one with the teeth done in the same texture and color as the mug, like it was all carved out of a block of wood....awesome work!

Makiki, that stand worked out really well - great idea and great execution

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'll have some time next month to make Tiki Stand V.2.

Soupcan: Great idea about the having the whole mug have the same look, I may just have to try it. But I do love the porcelain teeth look.

Great idea! Do the mugs just sit on the body? Have you considered notching the base so the mugs won't slide. Looking forward to seeing ver.2.0!

AlohaStation: Glad you like the stand and Yes, the mugs just sit on the stand and there is nothing that keeps them in place except gravity. I thought about adding notches, pins or a bracket but it got too complicated with the already completed mugs. Also, since all of the mugs are handmade, each are a little different and the center is hard to locate. The mugs have a flat bottom so it is easy to adjust on the stand to get it to look just right. I can also make it look to the left or right just by rotating the mug. For now the stand and mug will have to live in quiet, stable locations.

Makiki, you could add a small piece of non slip grip rubber to the top of your stand for an added measure of security; ceramic on ceramic doesn't have much drag.

Pages: 1 2 53 replies