Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sven Kirsten presents "The Sound of Tiki" CD @ Trader Vic's LA, Thurs April 29th

Pages: 1 42 replies

To celebrate the release of Sven Kirsten's extraordinary "The Sounds Of Tiki" CD, join us at EDEN @ Trader Vic's LA on Thursday April 29th from 8pm until late. Sven will be signing copies of the CD and will have copies available for purchase. DJ Jay Strongman will be playing tracks from the CD, vintage and contemporary Exotica, bossa nova, surf and lounge......A night for defining and redefining Exotica past and present, for great drinks, decor and company.

[ Edited by: Kon-Tiki Viking 2010-04-18 23:00 ]

[ Edited by: Kon-Tiki Viking 2010-04-18 23:02 ]

In!

T

RIght Arm!
(or Left Arm of Buddha...)

We are so there!

Cool Im There.

I will be there, too! :)

I am counting on it, I am scheduled to return from Prague on the 27th. But to make sure, please give an offering to Pele, to appease the wrath of the volcano that already has separated me from my wife for the last 4 days. Her flight to see me was the first to get cancelled. Incredibly so, she made it on the first flight out of LAX yesterday. But right now, she is stuck in Frankfurt, and has to take the train to Nuremberg, from where we will pick her up by car to Prague.

My street

Meanwhile, the British Royal Navy is sending war ships to France to rescue stranded travelers there.

We might need a vacation from this vacation, a Navy Grog at Trader Vic's will be just the ticket, and then we can regal you with ash cloud travel stories --relaxing with the SOUNDS OF TIKI ! :D

Sven, glad to hear that Naomi made it across the Atlantic....hope you guys have a great holiday in Prague...looking forward to hearing about it on the 29th !

In the meantime I've dug out this musical offering to Pele...

I

Well its been enough time to be out of the Tiki community.
I'll be there.
I did make reservations.... Just in case.
Will be good to see everyone.

who are you again?
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

From my SOT thread in "Tiki Music":

I just got a copy of Jeff Berry's "REMIXED" and, besides the fact that it is an absolutely gorgeous volume, I was reminded that many of the Bum's classic concoctions collected in this tome are the perfect companion to "The Sound of Tiki":

Beginning with the AKU AKU Lapu, to be enjoyed with Martin Denny's "Aku Aku", one can go down the track list and imbibe the Mr. BALI HAI, the CASTAWAY, the KON-TIKI Ti Punch, the HAWAIIAN EYE, and last not least, the PIECES OF EIGHT, all with their appropriate aural accompaniment!

Well, maybe not in one hearing.

I

On 2010-04-20 20:56, bigtikidude wrote:
who are you again?
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

Who me? Dang sometimes I don't even know who I am anymore!

Just a week to go....

can't wait.

Dang, I'm flying out to New Orleans Jazz Fest on Thursday and will miss this. Really wanted to go, should be a great time.

Sven, hopefully all of that volcanic interference stuff is over an you will have an easy flight back to make the date.

DC

Just six days to go...

some music from this...

some music from this...

some music from this...

some music from this...

and all the music from this...

hooot hoot

Jeff(btd)

THIS WEEK !! Join Sven Kirsten at EDEN this THURSDAY NIGHT 29th APRIL @ TRADER VIC'S LA from 8pm til late for a musical journey through "THE SOUNDS OF TIKI". Sven will be signing copies of his "SOUNDS OF TIKI " CD while DJ Jay Strongman mixes exotica, bossa, surf and lounge for a night of rum 'n rhythm.......

2 more days,
be there.

Jeff(btd)

I am BUCK in town, and am looking forward to see everyone on Thirstday, and imbibe my first Navy Grog in a while. And to hoist a glass to Marie's speedy and complete recovery.

Welcome back Sven.
Can't wait to hear the new cd, and see ya thurs night.

Jeff(btd)

Good to see that all those ritual sacrifices made to Pele in our backyard fire pit have paid off and Sven is back in the USA. Looking forward to Thursday night and also glad that the neighbors have stopped complaining about the smell of burning.

A while back, I had the honor of an advanced listen of Sven's latest project, and let me tell you...
YOU WILL WANT THIS CD!!! It's a superb compilation of rarities, plus fascinating liner notes and photos.

IT'S A MUST FOR YOUR SUMMER TIKI LISTENING PLEASURE... And it does seem that our Tiki summer is arriving extra early this year, what with all the parties, concerts and shows that seem to be happening.

Congratulations, Sven, on your latest achievement in Tiki preservation!

It's tonight !!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Damn, I lost track of what day it is,
I better get to work, so I can make it up there.
:o

Jeff(btd)

Stay tuned for an exciting update to tonight's EDEN....here's a clue.........

Yup, The Beachbum is in town, and as an added bonus to the event, for all those who did not make it to the "REMIXED" signing at La Cana in downtown LA last night, Jeff Berry will offer his remaining tomes at Trader Vic's (for 25.- bucks cash only) tonite.

This is a fitting addition to tonight's happening, since many recipes in this tome relate to the songs on the "Sound of Tiki" CD, as I pointed out in this post:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34417&forum=11&vpost=525109

:)

Books and CDs ! Rums n'Rhythms ! Tikis & Tunes ! Sven & the Beachbum in the house !! Trader Vic's LA TONIGHT !!!

T

On 2010-04-28 17:28, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
IT'S A MUST FOR YOUR SUMMER TIKI LISTENING PLEASURE... And it does seem that our Tiki summer is arriving extra early this year, what with all the parties, concerts and shows that seem to be happening.

Aww, that's just global warming, bringing tiki summer to us sooner! Pretty soon tiki season will be a year-round thing!

And OH MY TIKI GODS!!!
What a great night of tiki!!!

Almost too much fun for one night!
Sven and the Sound of TIki!
Beachbum Berry and Remixed! (picked up both CD and book, and had the privilege of having them signed!)
Jay Strongman and the awesome tiki tunes!
And all the TC ohana who came out to support! (Mahalos to Adrian for recommending the Singapore Symphony! Whadda drink!)

All that and Manuel and I made the last Metro train home! (and didn't have to tromp through downtown like the last time we metroed it to TV and stayed too late...)

I know lots of people snapped pix... please post!!!

Mahalo!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-04-30 11:37 ]

Good times last night,
and a great surprise that Beachbum Berry was there too,
as I needed to get his Book.

Jeff(btd)

Yes, photos please! Thank you Jay and John and Pallava for hosting this fine event, and thanks everyone for coming out! It was a great evening! I have to apologize that my communication abilities were slightly hampered by not only jet lag, but a laryngitis I must have caught on the plane:
"The most common symptom of either form is hoarseness that may, within several days, progress to partial or total loss of voice"

The nature of the event made it difficult to follow the commonly known cures:

-Avoid public speaking during recovery
-Be aware that whispering puts a greater strain on the vocal cords than normal speaking
-Drink warm, soothing liquids (but do not drink alcoholic beverages) !!!?

I wasn't TRYING to whisper - but I was. But I still had a great time, seeing all my friends and Ohana after such a long absence.
The crowning convergence was that Jeff Berry was in town, and we could hang and sell our current publications together! It was like the old days. Earlier that day at another local joy juice joint:

Old friends meet

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 9:54 AM

Cool! History in the making right there... Maybe I'll catch the Mexico City -- Los Angeles flight at 3! Not. Have fun and have a drink for me.

Edited: Ups! This happened last night! Sorry, have a drink for me anyway!

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-04-30 10:16 ]

hey Sven, all,

Ojaitimo posted some pics here in General,
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36324&forum=1&0

Great CD Sven! I posted a few photos in general but i'll put all of them here.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to John, Pallava and Frank at Trader Vic's LA for hosting last night's EDEN. Thanks also to Sven and Jeff for coming down and signing copies of their respective CD and books and thanks to all the TC ohana for creating such a great atmosphere ! Mahalo, everyone !

Yup, it was a fine evening. Hey Jay, would you look at all that grey hair, what's up with that!? :

Clearly a sign of wisdom! The three wise men! Or is it the three wise guys? :)

I'm bummed to have missed it.

Maybe next time.

MAhalo!

BB

Well I in turn am mega-bummed to have to miss your Sale ...cuz King Kuku had to have his wedding the same day, sheeez!
But Ben, I will peddle my Polynesian Potpourri next weekend at Don's. See you then.

Congratulations Sven on another fantastic Tiki project. I would have loved to have been there for your signing party. Welcome Home.

Bravo Sven!

Looks like a grand event for a grand person!
:)

On 2010-05-01 03:40, bigbrotiki wrote:

But Ben, I will peddle my Polynesian Potpourri next weekend at Don's. See you then.

I will be spinin Sven's new cd, and some other assorted tiki tunes
at Don the Beachcomber this coming Sat. May 8th.
6ish to 9ish,
come on by for the tunes, good times, and maybe We can convince Sven into saying a few words, if his voice is back.

Jeff(btd)

cool deal jeff!

oh by the Way, the new cd is great. love it.
and Jay, great selections of other tunes, after the cd was finished.

Jeff(btd)

Jay, when is your next thurs night shift?

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 42 replies