Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Are there any good Tiki/Vintage Shops in Riverside, Ca./Inland Empire area?

Pages: 1 16 replies

Are there any good Tiki or Vintage/Retro Shops in the Inland Empire area? Stand-alones or Antique Mall spaces?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

I'm going home to visit the folks next week and was just wonderin'...

4 days and no responses...

Is there really nothing in the Inland Empire?

Do I have to come out there and show everyone how it's done?

Hmmmmmm? :wink:

Sorry Tiki Lee, I avoid the Inland Empire like the plague! or the Spanish Inquisition.
And Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Chef says "Never get out of the Boat!"
I say "Never leave the coast" unless your on your way to Vegas!
for the same reasons, there are Tigers inland!& you will get ate!

Old Downtown Pomona has an entire antique district, La Bomba vintage clothes, and a retro/vintage furniture place. Tiki wise, its really sparse. Although, upstairs in one of the antique stores, theres a booth with a nice lot of vintage aloha shirts. :wink:

I haven't been out there in quite a few years... but their use to be some.

Where the 10 and 60 freeway meet is Beaumont. There are a couple of stores there. Off the 10 freeway between Yucaipa and Redlands there were some (you can see them on the south side of the freeway as you head west.) Downtown Redlands has a few places. I did a quick search and found this.

http://www.hobosvintage.com/

After Redlands is Loma Linda. There use to be a few of them on Redlands Blvd. between Loma Linda and San Bernardino.

As for Riverside, there use to be a few around the Mission Inn (which in itself is worth going to)

http://www.missioninn.com/

Actually, better yet.. I just remembered. Just go to shoppersmap.com. They combined the Inland Empire with Palm Springs all onto one map.

(This is always the best site to go to when looking for retro places to shop in SoCal.)

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Lee

There is (was?) a retro vintage place about a mile or so west of the Mission Inn south side of the street (unless my compass is off) you can't miss it, there are also a bunch of thrifts on the same side just be for or after. We used to have a whole route through there up into San Bernadino but we haven't done that in a few years, it just got dry for picking and you had to go into some very dicey neighborhoods, but there are/where still some interesting architecture in San Bernadino if you don't mind that tense edgy feeling.

Bosko

Hey, Thanks you guys...

I knew there had to be something!

Now, in that same vein, do you think there's enough cool people in the I.E. to support a Tiki Shop; either free-standing or in an Antique Mall?

I think you'll probably figgur out why I'm askin' by now... :)

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2010-04-23 20:16 ]

After House of Tiki closed here in Costa Mesa, we have nothing now, you should come out to the coast
to the Newport/Costa Mesa/H.B. area, we need more Tiki here!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-04-23 21:56 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2010-04-23 21:40 ]

I would be very surprised if you could get that to work our there. If you were going to do it, make sure it's close to the freeway so people passing thru (going to or from LA) can stop by. You are better off trying to sell stuff in Palm Springs, even with all of the competition out there. It's not that far of a drive from the IE.

I had a small shop in an area called Temecula 5-6 years ago (mostly MCM and vintage barware) and it was a waste of time. I made most of my money when I would sell once a month at the Rose Bowl. The store was basically a storage unit.

IF you are super serious about trying out there, PM me. I can try and dig up my old maps/lists of antique/thrift stores. I can also tell you good places to look for stuff out there.

On 2010-04-23 02:37, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Sorry Tiki Lee, I avoid the Inland Empire like the plague! or the Spanish Inquisition.
And Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Hey watch it ATP! There's a few of us out in the IE!

yeah PP, but you are really close to the OC border,
so its not so bad.

Jeff(btd)

T

The Inland Empire always gets a bad rap it seems, even by some locals that live there.

I'll tell you though, and I'm speaking from experience, some of the coolest motherf'ckers in the world are found there, I have scored some of my best finds there and if you know the right people - well anything is possible. Several close friends still reside there and yes, they will pick things up for me when they see them.

The economy has wrecked havoc there though. Small second-hand shops that once were common have disappeared. Legendary Gillette's record shop off of Magnolia Ave...long gone.

I used to have a personal favorite hunting ground for mid-century items (especially vintage rock records and memorabilia) back in the early 80s when I lived in Riverside...a town called Rubidoux!! Sorry but that area was picked long ago.

The most memorable estate sales I've ever attended were held in Riverside but they too became hostile grabbing matches and outta control crowd scenes. Ah - the good ol' days!

Best of luck Tiki Lee. G

C

In Yucaipa (I guess its considered downtown Yucaipa?, its right before you go to Oak Glen)On Yucaipa Blvd, and California Street, there is small area of cute shops (vintage/antique/etc) I think Tiki would be a added plus to this area, I frequent it alot because my sister lives right down the street from there....it might be worth checking out...

C

-BUMP-

I'm in the area for work. Is there anything worth looking up (googie diners, vintage stores, etc...)?

On 2015-12-01 12:37, Cavemoai wrote:
-BUMP-

I'm in the area for work. Is there anything worth looking up (googie diners, vintage stores, etc...)?

It's not tiki, but the Mission Inn in Riverside is decorated for Christmas right now and it is amazing!

C

On 2015-12-01 15:51, tikilongbeach wrote:

It's not tiki, but the Mission Inn in Riverside is decorated for Christmas right now and it is amazing!

Thanks Lori! I'll check it out.

Pages: 1 16 replies