Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"Orange County Tiki" history program, March 7, 2016

Pages: 1 24 replies

I'm doing this program again! This time I'll be at the Garden Grove Regional Library, 11200 Stanford Ave., 3-7-2016 at 7:00 p.m. The public (that's you!) is welcome.

This is an overview of the Polynesian Pop phenomenon as it played out in Orange County. Hope to see you there!

Chris

(The original post, when I was promoting this program the first time, is below...)

Join the Orange County Historical Society in the "Hidden Village" at Don the Beachcomber, June 10, 2010, for a dinner program about the history of the Polynesian Pop phenomenon of the 1950s and '60s in Orange County, California.

Don the Beachcomber’s
16278 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach
Event Start: 6:30 p.m.
Dinner: 7:00 p.m.
Program: 7:45 p.m.

"From architecture, décor and music, to literature, theme parks and backyard luaus, the South Seas was a wildly popular theme throughout Mid-Century America. This was especially true in sunny Orange County, where primitive carved figures, grass huts, 'Aloha shirts,' and lush jungle landscaping seemed right at home.

"On June 10th, local historian Chris Jepsen will discuss the tiki craze of the 1950s and '60s as it pertained to Orange County. Appropriately, this special event will be held at Don the Beachcomber’s – a historically significant restaurant that recently took up residence in one of America’s few remaining authentic tiki establishments, the former Sam’s Seafood. The place has been lovingly restored and improved recently.

"Hawaiian/tropical attire is encouraged, but not mandatory.

"Speaker: OCHS Vice President Chris Jepsen is the Assistant Archivist at the Orange County Archives, a local historian, and a member of the City of Huntington Beach’s Historic Resources Board. He has been studying Mid-Century commercial architecture and design and 'Polynesian Pop' for 15 years. He has two websites: Googie Architecture Online (http://SpaceAgeCity.com), and O.C. History Roundup (http://ochistorical.blogspot.com)."

To register, download a PDF flier at:
http://www.orangecountyhistory.org/tiki2010.pdf

For more information about OCHS, visit
http://www.orangecountyhistory.org

[ Edited by: spaceagecity 2016-03-05 15:16 ]

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2010 2:02 PM

I'd love to attend this So. Cal event but I'll be in Florida for Hukilau...

...it sucks when there is multiple events scheduled during the same time-frame.

Organizers of events...please take note!!

I think there will still be plenty of folks in SoCal who won't be going to Hukilau this year -- especially in this recession. Look at our program as an alternative if you can't make it to Florida this time. :)

BTW, if anyone has questions about the "Orange County Tiki" event, feel free to email me at cjepsen AT socal DOT rr DOT com.

And for the person who already emailed me,... Yes, there is a vegetarian option too. If you don't want pork or chicken, just cross them out on the flier and write VEGETARIAN clearly above.

Chris

P.S. -- I just added a page for this event on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=119151788110662

On 2010-04-22 13:50, SpaceAgeCity wrote:
...emailed me,... Yes, there is a vegetarian option too. If you don't want pork or chicken, just cross them out on the flier and write VEGETARIAN clearly above.

Chris

So what exactly IS the vegetarian option? Hopefully not just take away the meat and double the veggie sides.

its some pseudo meat substance that if you put enough soy sauce or other condiment, you tell yourself, wow this really does taste like (insert kind of meat name here).

sorry,for the derail.

Jeff(btd)

I'll let you know what the vegetarian option is as soon as I find out myself. I was told some of the possibilities, but I don't know what was decided on. I'm doing the talk/slideshow, but I'm not in charge of the dining arrangements. When I know more, (hopefully this week,) I will post it here.

CJ

[ Edited by: SpaceAgeCity 2010-05-02 18:20 ]

The folks at Don's tell me they will replace the pork or chicken portion of the meal with Ubon soup (which includes noodles and vegetables) for those who request a vegetarian meal.

[ Edited by: SpaceAgeCity 2010-05-04 15:17 ]

We have 64 confirmed reservations for dinner so far, and they keep rolling in.

I've given the "road version" of this talk several more times now, and the next one is coming up next week.

I'll present my "Orange County Tiki" historical program again on Monday, 3-7-2016, 7pm, at the Garden Grove Regional Library, 11200 Stanford Ave. The program is free.

Link to the library's event page for more details: http://ocpl.org/civica/calendar/printable.asp?showsubs=n&viewby=7&caldate=3%2F7%2F2016&eventdateid=229532&sub76=y&Title=Calendar

Hope to see you there!

Chris

On 2016-03-03 00:16, SpaceAgeCity wrote:
I've given the "road version" of this talk several more times now, and the next one is coming up next week.

I'll present my "Orange County Tiki" historical program again on Monday, 3-7-2016, 7pm, at the Garden Grove Regional Library, 11200 Stanford Ave. The program is free.

Link to the library's event page for more details: http://ocpl.org/civica/calendar/printable.asp?showsubs=n&viewby=7&caldate=3%2F7%2F2016&eventdateid=229532&sub76=y&Title=Calendar

Hope to see you there!

Chris

Go see this Tiki Freaks! Chris does a great job! Trust me.

On 2016-03-03 07:33, RevBambooBen wrote:
Go see this Tiki Freaks! Chris does a great job! Trust me.

Thanks, Ben!

Chris,
You might want to edit the date on the first page to the new date. People will see it Mo' bettah :wink:

I am going down tomorrow for this, looks great. Anyone want to meet for a drink before?

DC

The links are not working for me.
Is this Presentation at the Garden Grove Library at 7 PM on Monday 3/7 ?
Someone mentioned the "date on the first page"-that’s all it took to cornfuse me.
Mahalo
Btw, DC, Trader Sam’s is close by on your way north.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-03-06 20:33 ]

On 2016-03-06 20:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Someone mentioned the "date on the first page"-that’s all it took to cornfuse me.

Cornfused? Aw, shucks! Let's cut straight to the kernel of your puzzlement:

Yes, the program will be at the Garden Grove Regional (Branch) Library, 7pm, on Monday (tomorrow), March 7, 2016.

I don't know why the direct link to the library's site isn't working, but here's a link to their calendar: http://ocpl.org/libloc/ggr/calendar

I made the mistake of adding this announcement on to an old TC thread which promoted the FIRST time I gave this talk (four years ago). I hadn't yet learned how to edit the original header and post to reflect the new time/place. Ben nudged me to do so. And I did. So here we are.

I hope you're less cornfused, have found your way through the maize, and will come to Garden Grove tomorrow evening. :)

Okay. No more corny jokes now. Sorry.

Chris

Btw, DC, Trader Sam’s is close by on your way north.

Thanks, I will be stopping by Trader Sam's on the way to the show.

DC

On 2016-03-07 09:23, Dustycajun wrote:
Thanks, I will be stopping by Trader Sam's on the way to the show.
DC

Nice to meet you the other day, DC. Glad you'll be able to attend! And yes, Trader Sam's would be a nice way to round out the evening. :)

Chris

On 2016-03-06 23:19, SpaceAgeCity wrote:

Cornfused? Aw, shucks! Let's cut straight to the kernel of your puzzlement:

Yes, the program will be at the Garden Grove Regional (Branch) Library, 7pm, on Monday (tomorrow), March 7, 2016.

I don't know why the direct link to the library's site isn't working, but here's a link to their calendar: http://ocpl.org/libloc/ggr/calendar

I made the mistake of adding this announcement on to an old TC thread which promoted the FIRST time I gave this talk (four years ago). I hadn't yet learned how to edit the original header and post to reflect the new time/place. Ben nudged me to do so. And I did. So here we are.

I hope you're less cornfused, have found your way through the maize, and will come to Garden Grove tomorrow evening. :)

Okay. No more corny jokes now. Sorry.

Chris

My TikiQueen and I will be there if you promise to keep the puns to a minimum.
Cheers
Btw, just kidding-we luv playing with the Kings English. Looking forward to meeting you!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-03-07 13:04 ]

Chris, It was a pleasure to meet you. Mahalo for a great program-CeCe and I enjoyed it very much!

Chris, my thanks to you as well. You've developed a great little seminar and you present it very well. Thanks so much for putting it on and for making it free.
-K

F

Dang it, I missed this! I would have loved to gone, but haven't been on TC since last week. Any chance you might do another one of these sometime again in the OC? :D

Thanks to all of you for attending! Yes, I will undoubtedly be giving this talk again (also for free). The next one I know about for sure will be at Chapman University in about a year. I'll post an announcement here with more lead time.

Chris

I would encourage everyone to make it to Chris's next show, it's fun and fact-filled.

DC

F

Thanks, Chris. I will keep an eye out for the future dates!

Pages: 1 24 replies