Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Paint-by-numbers paintings in a bathroom?

Pages: 1 6 replies

collectors: Would it be a bad idea to put thrifted paint-by-numbers paintings in the washroom where hot showers are often taken? It seems like a bad idea to me. Is there a way I can tell? like feel the walls after a shower is taken to see if they're wet? or is it just a bad idea all around?

unless sealed with a clear coat,I wouldn't do it.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2010 5:30 PM

I wouldn't hang originals in the bath either. Alternative? Have them scanned and printed at Kinkos, then put the copies in frames for display in the bathroom. Just a thought!

On 2010-04-21 17:17, hanford_lemoore wrote:
collectors: Would it be a bad idea to put thrifted paint-by-numbers paintings in the washroom where hot showers are often taken? It seems like a bad idea to me. Is there a way I can tell? like feel the walls after a shower is taken to see if they're wet? or is it just a bad idea all around?

i think they used enamel on those so the FRONT of it should be okay
Unfortunately,Sir,they are usually printed (and painted) on BOARD
the BOARD is exposed to shower condensation,etc.
It may not deteriorate the painting
BUT it will warp and that's just as bad....

Good Luck in your search for a solution,Hanford!

L

NO DON"T!

I had a kitschy religious theme in my old bathroom including above the mirror a huge paint by numbers last supper.

I rarely steam the bathroom up but the board warped in its frame and started to turn chalky all the same after about 3 months.

Needless to say Jesus has never been the same after that :(

I agree make copies

A different take:

I've had a thrifted PBN in the bathroom for a few years, along with a revolving collection of original 'Bad and Odd Art' also from the swap meet & thrift stores. Nothing has cost me more than $10 and I enjoy the hell out of looking at it (as do guests). I feel if the art is inexpensive (and not valuable) and you enjoy it, Go For It!
I have a load of art that I buy cheap and revolve around the house. If it's not something you desperately want to preserve for posterity, Hang It!!!

That's my 10 cents :)

I found a pair of vintage PBN palm/beach scenes a couple years ago and hung them in my tiki bar which is a 3-season room/outdoor space. Can see a pair of them here: http://pmimages.worthpoint.com/thumbnails2/1/0408/13/1_61d7910aaa9819a5dc52d380dca6b791.jpg
I take them in during the worst of the winter but it gets pretty damp/hot/cold out there the rest of the time, so far so good.

Pages: 1 6 replies