Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Tiki Spelling & Grammar Police

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

J

Usually I overlook stuff like this, but I've noticed a CONSISTENT improper use of "your" vs. "you're" here on Tiki Central. It's driving me nuts.

"Your" is possessive, as in the phrase "your Tiki mug". This refers to a Tiki mug you own, vs. accusing you of being a Tiki mug.

"You're" means "you are". Example - "You're a fine fellow".

Thank you.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-03 16:37 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 24, 2010 11:14 AM

Your right, there's alot of that going around.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 24, 2010 11:15 AM

P.S. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

One more person on the beach with a broom attempting to sweep back the incoming tide.

Definitely too weird.

"Irregardless", I am going to get "off of" this thread!

although admittedly I'm a pretty bad speller.
I pride myself on trying to use the correct term, or tense.

I have also notice a lot of misuse of their,there, and they're.

Jeff(btd)

Yea,Your rite :blush: you're not talking about me,are thee?
actually I am guilty as charged!

On 2010-04-24 10:53, JOHN-O wrote:
Usually I overlook stuff like this, but I've noticed a CONSISTENT improper use of "your" vs. "you're" here on Tiki Central. It's driving me nuts.

"Your" is possessive, as in the phrase "your Tiki mug". This refers to a Tiki mug you own, vs. accusing you of being a Tiki mug.

"You're" means "you are". Example - "You're a fine fellow".

Thank you.

R

yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in.

TM

That might be my next signature quote, Ravene!

H

This is to much.

W

Achulky the your or you're thing won't be a problem oncer yer (or possibly yr) becomes more widespread. So enjoy it while u can.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 24, 2010 6:55 PM

Been noticing a number of people wrongly writing "would of" instead of "would've", and incorrectly writing "ect." instead of "etc." which is the correct way.

C'mon youz guys.

What sequence of letters has the most different pronunciations?

That prize goes to -ough. Say these words: bough, rough, through, cough, dough. You will see that not one of these words sounds like any of the others. These are all native Anglo-Saxon words, not products of foreign borrowings. There are seven different ways to pronounce -ough: 1) though (like o in go), 2) through (like oo in too), 3) cough (like off in offer), 4) rough (like uff in suffer), 5) plough (like ow in flower), 6) ought (like aw in saw), and 7) borough (like a in above).

R

On 2010-04-24 18:55, GROG wrote:
Been noticing a number of people wrongly writing "would of" instead of "would've", and incorrectly writing "ect." instead of "etc." which is the correct way.

the CORRECT way is
woulda

sheesh, for people using these tubes...yew guys sure is behind...
:lol:

and Lucas, I would be honored :)

W

"Been noticing a number of people wrongly writing "would of" instead of "would've", and incorrectly writing "ect." instead of "etc." which is the correct way." -GROG-

I'd guess the "would of" mistake is made due to general usage in speech (whether proper or not) and the way it is pronounced aloud (or in the head) by most American speakers of English. "Would of" is gonna pert near always be said (thought) as "woulduv" so when writing it many people would assume the spelling is "would of" when they really mean "would've" and they don't pause to realize that "would've" is a contraction of "would" and "have." Life on the Internet is very fast paced and no one has time to worry about your you're or to two too or do due or weird or definite, et cetera.

The incorrect "ect." spelling for "et cetera" is not recent. I saw a picture of an Alaska boom town from the Gold Rush days and noticed a sign painted on the side of a store listing what the store sold ended the list with "ect" and I think it's unlikely the store was offering gold seekers electroconvulsive therapy.

B

Woof - you beat me to the would HAVE. There's another one out there like that I can't remember right now, but it drives me crazy! As a laugh, I once attempted to correct someone's grammar on a local website and mispelled grammar! I stopped trying to correct people at that point! LOL

I blame the tinee-tiny keyboards all the 'modern' phones have. I have a hard enough time on a full size keyboard.

But that is just me, you're mileage may vary.

:wink:

When talking to people who are just learning English, I like to use words like "onnacounta" onnacounta it has four syllables and is not found in the dictionary, whereas "because" only has two syllables and is pretty well documented.

J

In this case I want to correct spelling not grammar. I've been seeing a CONSISTENT misspelling of Jimmy Buffett's name here on TC.

People, this is a BUFFET...

And this is a BUFFETT...

Thank You.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-29 07:55 ]

Jimmy Buffet: featuring the grape leaf salad.

I think some of us make the "Buffet" spelling mistake because his music is a feast for the ears.

P
phinz posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2010 5:26 PM

The one that really annoys me (and there are a lot that annoy me given my focus in college was print journalism with a focus on copy editing) is the phrase, "I could care less."

This, by definition, means that you have at least a modicum of caring. I know you think that it means you don't care at all, but what you are actually saying is that you do care at least a little bit, given that there is less that you could care. The correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less." This implies that you have the lowest amount of caring possible and there is no amount of caring that is less than what you currently possess.

Then again, you probably don't care at all what I think. :wink:

J

That's a good one to use in the following:

"Irregardless, I could care less about Jimmy Buffet."

Your grammar needs fixed.

(that one drives me insane)

TG

Instead of "I couldn't care less," I'm inclined to say, "It don't make me no nevermind."

B

Irregardless versus Regardless

First, let's talk about irregardless. Some people mistakenly use irregardless when they mean “regardless.” Regardless means “regard less,” “without regard,” or despite something. For example, John-O will post threads regardless of the consequences.

The prefix ir- (i-r) is a negative prefix, so if you add the prefix ir to a word that's already negative like regardless, you're making a double-negative word that literally means “without without regard.”

Language experts speculate that irregardless comes from a combination of the words regardless and irrespective and that another reason people might say "irregardless" is that they are following the pattern of words like irregular and irreplaceable. But regardless already has the -less suffix on the end, so it's not like those other words.

Now...... we should speak to the word Anal retentive

The anal stage is said to follow the oral stage of infant/early-childhood development. This is a time when an infant's attention moves from oral stimulation to anal stimulation (usually the bowels but occasionally the bladder), usually synchronous with learning to control their excretory functions, a time of toilet training.

Freud theorized that children who experience conflicts during this period of time may develop "anal" personality traits, namely those associated with efforts at excretory control: orderliness, stubbornness, a compulsion for control and the need to correct others grammar.

W

I believe in communication and if an idea is communicated effectively it doesn't matter to me whether a word was misspelled, mispronounced, or misused in the process.

Genuinely judging the content of a person's thought based on the packaging it was delivered in is asinine. Intelligent people frequently speak/write poorly and morons might spell perfectly and know the ins and outs of who and whom but you wouldn't want to talk to them at cocktail parties.

But I have to admit I can find it difficult to believe someone who claims to be in charge of this or a master of that when his or her writing is full of bad spelling and poor word usage. And of course making fun of someone you don't care for because he pronounced a word the same way a majority of Americans would is great fun.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 10:43 AM

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

T
TikiG posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 10:56 AM

Yeah - the last three posts - right on the bull's-eye!

W

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? -GROG-

The Hmong maid detonates the what?

TM

"Langostino Lobster" (a current menu item at Rubio's fish tacos). It just kills me! So, last time I ordered it, I ask the cashier for the "Lobster Lobster". She had no idea what I was talking about!

H

On 2010-05-03 14:20, lucas vigor wrote:
"Langostino Lobster" (a current menu item at Rubio's fish tacos). It just kills me! So, last time I ordered it, I ask the cashier for the "Lobster Lobster". She had no idea what I was talking about!

Now I'm confused (as usual), I thought Langostino was a type of crawfish. The confusing part now is when I plug Langostino into a translator it comes back as Shrimp or King Prawn.

So what is it really?

On 2010-05-03 14:20, lucas vigor wrote:

It that like "PIN Number" (Personal Identification Number Number), "ATM Machine" (Automatic Teller Machine Machine) or "NIC Card" (Network Interface Card Card)?

W

Some day, maybe twenty years from now by my guess, you will be able to use some kind of electronic dictionary/encyclopedia device to look up all sorts of odd facts and find answers to pert near every question that might cross our minds.

For now we're kinda stuck. If we were to wonder what "langostino lobster" might mean we'd have to hope to come in contact with a marine biologist or maybe a master chef. But I bet in a couple decades we will just use some sort of typewriter like device to input the words "langostino lobster" and we'd get a printout that might read something like...

*Langostino is a Spanish word with different meanings in different areas. In America, it is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. It is more closely related to porcelain crabs and hermit crabs. Crustaceans labeled as langostino are no more than 3 inches (7.6 cm) long, and weigh no more than 7 ounces (200 g) . Langostinos are not langoustes (spiny lobsters) despite a similar name (in Spanish, lobster is called langosta). Also, langostinos are sometimes confused with langoustines (Norway lobster), which is a true lobster common in European cuisine.

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration allows “langostino” as a market name for three species in the family Galatheidae: Cervimunida johni, Munida gregaria, and Pleuroncodes monodon. In Spain, it means some species of prawns. In Cuba and other Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands, the name langostino is also used to refer to crayfish. In South America, the name langostino is used to refer to red shrimp, Pleoticus muelleri, common in the mid-latitude Atlantic coast, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Uruguayan coast, to Argentine province of Chubut.*

Man, the future is gonna be so cool.

N
Naneki posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 3:32 PM

On 2010-05-03 15:23, woofmutt wrote:
Some day, maybe twenty years from now by my guess, you will be able to use some kind of electronic dictionary/encyclopedia device to look up all sorts of odd facts and find answers to pert near every question that might cross our minds.

I'm pretty sure it's The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy.

I've got my towel ready.

N.

TK

"DON'T PANIC!"

TM

Either way, Rubio's has gotten it totally wrong!!

H

On 2010-05-03 15:23, woofmutt wrote:

For now we're kinda stuck. If we were to wonder what "langostino lobster" might mean we'd have to hope to come in contact with a marine biologist or maybe a master chef. But I bet in a couple decades we will just use some sort of typewriter like device to input the words "langostino lobster" and we'd get a printout that might read something like...

*Langostino is a Spanish word with different meanings in different areas. In America, it is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. It is more closely related to porcelain crabs and hermit crabs. Crustaceans labeled as langostino are no more than 3 inches (7.6 cm) long, and weigh no more than 7 ounces (200 g) . Langostinos are not langoustes (spiny lobsters) despite a similar name (in Spanish, lobster is called langosta). Also, langostinos are sometimes confused with langoustines (Norway lobster), which is a true lobster common in European cuisine.

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration allows “langostino” as a market name for three species in the family Galatheidae: Cervimunida johni, Munida gregaria, and Pleuroncodes monodon. In Spain, it means some species of prawns. In Cuba and other Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands, the name langostino is also used to refer to crayfish. In South America, the name langostino is used to refer to red shrimp, Pleoticus muelleri, common in the mid-latitude Atlantic coast, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Uruguayan coast, to Argentine province of Chubut.*

Man, the future is gonna be so cool.

I can hardly wait.

So in the meantime, to summarize your above post (depending on your locale) a Langostino is either:

• squat lobster, (Galatheidae family) which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn.
  • crayfish
  • red shrimp
  • some species of prawns
DZ

The La Brea Tar Pits = The The Tar Tar Pits.

H

On 2010-05-03 17:18, lucas vigor wrote:
Either way, Rubio's has gotten it totally wrong!!

Long John Silver's pulls the same BS. Those things always did taste a little off to me. I wanted to like them, I tried, I really did.

W

*So in the meantime, to summarize your above post (depending on your locale) a Langostino is either:

• squat lobster, (Galatheidae family) which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn.
  • crayfish
  • red shrimp
  • some species of prawns

AND...

• The future will be awesome
TK

[
AND...

• The future will be awesome

sweet good to know.

I don't care as long as it comes with salsa sauce.

TM

The The Tar Tar pits! Good one!

UB

Somebody asked me last week, "When is Cinco De Mayo?".

On 2010-05-04 13:39, Unga Bunga wrote:
Somebody asked me last week, "When is Cinco De Mayo?".

wada'ya call cinco demayo in China?

chinko demayo!

(sp??)

The one that's really bugging me lately has become prevalent on some other boards having to do with garage sales and eBay. It's folks using "Sells" instead of "Sales"."Looks like you've had some good sells this week"
"How many sells did you go to on Saturday?"

Arrgh!

Pages: 1 2 79 replies