Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

God save the Queen!

Pages: 1 13 replies

I read an article while on vacation about the Queen's jubilee, and it mentioned that some years back she was taken out to dine in San Francisco. The sauve & tasteful host took the Royal party out to Trader Vics!
Suffice to say, she had a great night of it, commenting that she'd not been to a restaurant for 17 years........

Trader Woody

I just saw a small piece on this mornings news that mentioned that Buckingham Palace are showing an exhibit of gifts given to the Queen. In the short clip showing the exhibit, a large Cook Islands Tiki was visible, along with some other Tiki-esque stuff. (Difficult to check it all properly as the clip lasted about 4 seconds).

Rumours that the Queen has a large stockpile of Ren Clark Headhunter mugs are said to be unfounded.

Trader Woody

TC

On 2002-08-02 05:13, Trader Woody wrote:
I just saw a small piece on this mornings news that mentioned that Buckingham Palace are showing an exhibit of gifts given to the Queen. In the short clip showing the exhibit, a large Cook Islands Tiki was visible, along with some other Tiki-esque stuff.

Trader Woody

was this one of those anatomically correct (er, exaggerated!) cook island tikis?

M

I have read here that Vic's was in fact her first meal in a restaurant. (At least her first in the US). Yes, it was at the old Cosmo Place location in San Francisco. The hostess in Emeryville, Charlotte Lum, has been with the Vic's organization for 45 years, with 35 spent in San Francisco. She was the hostess the night the Queen ate there. I'm sure she has some great stories to tell. She is still working in Emeryville, and is both very nice and a real pro.

-martin

Martin,

Cheers for the facts on the Queens visit. Monarchist or otherwise, it's quite exraordinary for a British Tiki-phile to find that his /her monarch judges her restaurants from a quite exraordinarily Tiki angle. Perhaps nobody on this earth has had a higher proportion of Tiki restaurant meals... one to one...100%

I guess it's like as if every president you've had since before World War 2 has become one person and the only restaurant they have eaten in is the Kona Kai in Athens.

Trader Woody

And the clip sadly didn't show the length of the Cook Island Tiki's 'manhood'.

Personally, I hope those Cook Islanders gave her quite an eyefull. She's a nice old bird........needs a treat.

Trader Woody

I wonder if the queens old man prince philip has eaten at Kona Kai in Athens, bet you he ate or got tanked up at the beachcomber in mayfair coz he used to be a right old raver

TC

so me & the missus were in edinburgh & the missus wanted to go see the royal yacht britannia (decommissioned in 1996) which, well, i didn't really care to go see, but since the missus has so often in the past indulged me in coming along on many a wild goose chase, i conceeded...& boy, oh, boy am i glad i did!

that queen & her hubbie are a couple of royal tiki-philes!

here's the scoop:

the first pic of the royal couple that we saw on the tour of the yacht had the duke of edinburgh in an aloha shirt. 'pretty cool, i thought. but hey, he was on holiday, so to speak. no big deal.'

then we get to the "veranda deck" which just happened to be decked out w/ some happenin' rattan furniture picked up in hong kong during the 70s.

'okay, so they've got some cool furniture. of course they do - they're filthy rich.'

but, the piece de resistance.....

in the dining room there were tikis!!!!!

yes, we're talkin' 2 maori tikis, a sizable cook islande fishermans' god (emasculated or perhaps never-masculated), & a miniture moai! along w/ tons of artifacts from the solomon islands & other oceanic islands, a carving from pitcairn island, a model of an outrigger canoe &, of course, all sorts of other fabulous treasures from around the world.

so this dining room's where the likes of bill & hill clinton, thatcher, king so-n-this & that, celebrity x, princess diana, etc. supped w/ the queen.

in addition, there was a bar in almost every room of the yacht.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-05 10:17 ]

wow -- gotta hand it to you -- that's a scoop and a half. Brenda a tikiphile? That's amazing! Well, Buck House has an email address these days so perhaps I should drop her a little mail alerting her to the presence of this fine group (unless, of course, she's a lurker already?).

Actually, that could be a good wheeze -- suggestions please as to which member of the group is Her Maj in disguse... (first clue -- I am not she. But what about Mrs Carnaby?)

if any of you brits read the tabloids today(i've yet to pay for one but can't resist reading them when i find 'em on the tube) then you would have read that the queen voted to evict people on big brother.

she may indeed be lurking amongst us!

i can attest to the fact that the andrews sister is indeed not the queen of england. however, i believe that whole of britania would be considerably more fun if she were!

i can also attest to the fact that i have never seen trader woody & queen elisabeth in the same room together. hhhmmmmm........

:sheckymug:

On 2002-08-05 10:07, Tiki Chris wrote:
i can also attest to the fact that i have never seen trader woody & queen elisabeth in the same room together.

Argh, foiled again! Must be my regal manner that gave the game away. (That or my crown)

HRH Trader Woody the 2nd

TC

[i]On 2002-08-07 08:25, Trader Woody wrote

Must be my regal manner that gave the game away.

actually, it was that peculiar way you'd wave to people.

S
samoa posted on Fri, Aug 9, 2002 5:28 PM

I thought they said that the queen had an outrigger canoe. :)

So the britannia has tiki's in it that explains the tiki vibes i get when hunting in Leith. Since i live in edinburgh i can only say i got in a huff that other tikifiles discovered it before me but i've just found a "hawaiian inn" Ku style tiki mug in a local charity store and dehuffed.
If your in edinburgh again go to the big museum on chamber street and they have a primative art section which fetures a good selection of oceanic tikis.

Pages: 1 13 replies