Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Junk Food Reviews: The Latest Creations & Old Favorites

Pages: 1 3 replies

W

One aspect of American pop culture I really dig and am equally horrified by is our constant reshaping of sugar and fat into new creations which make fine chefs scream and faint and God once again question what He did on the sixth day.

I don't rush out and try every new deep double fried offering or the latest use for corn syrup that's dreamed up but I'm still interested in the products, either for a laugh (deep fried Cadbury Eggs) or out of genuine curiosity (Can a gum really noticeably change its flavor from berry to mint?).

I'm assuming not all of you are granola huffing wheat germ snorters and I'd guess many of you get a minor thrill when you see Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pringles or Wonka's Mac-n-Cheese Bubblegum. (Sadly I made both of those up.) So here's a place to alert or warn or even revisit stuff which can only really be called "food" because of legal loopholes.

Ideally these posts will focus on items which are readily available in stores OR unique items which are completely unjustifiable and yet well worth eating.

Nostalgia for departed junk food of yore is fine cuz where would Tiki Central be without nostalgia?

W

Wonka Sour Puckerooms Gummies have apparently been out for a bit but I just saw them for the first time today while looking over the sour candy section at Target. When I saw the picture of the Puckerooms on the package I thought "Oh, ha, they can't really look like that...It seems there would have been some sorta outrage." So of course I had to buy some.

Yes, they really do look like this:

While Puckerooms are ideal for fun cupcake decorating they're kind of lacking as a sour candy. The one strong point is that the candy itself has some sour flavor unlike other sour gummies which just coat a generic jelly in sour sugar.

Puckerooms are OK, they're not really that sour, and other than getting some for gingerbread man fun I wouldn't buy them again.

On 2010-05-04 21:54, woofmutt wrote:
While Puckerooms are ideal for fun cupcake decorating they're kind of lacking as a sour candy.

What are you, Martha Stewart now?

On 2010-05-04 21:54, woofmutt wrote:

When I saw the picture of the Puckerooms on the package I thought "Oh, ha, they can't really look like that...It seems there would have been some sorta outrage." So of course I had to buy some.

While Puckerooms are ideal for fun cupcake decorating they're kind of lacking as a sour candy.

Ya, they should just change the name to Fuckeroons (or was that subliminal in the first place?)

W

"What are you, Martha Stewart now?"

Now? I've been a lifestyle consultant for well over two decades. I used to write the White Wine With Pork Rinds column for Esquire.

"Ya, they should just change the name to Fuckerooms (or was that subliminal in the first place?"

I didn't even think of that. With outraged crazy people still claiming you can see sex messages in Disney films I can't believe Puckerooms didn't get more attention.

Pages: 1 3 replies