Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

MariePalooza, a Tiki Band Aid-( Results Pg. 18) Official Event Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 283 replies

CJ

On 2010-06-01 12:22, lucas vigor wrote:
I also want to thank Chris and Karen. I could see they were really working hard to make sure this event was the success it was! And for me, a special thanks to Big Tiki Dude, who does not seem to ever get the respect he deserves around here. He was also working hard, too!

Hear Hear

Thank You again Chris, Karen & Jeff and all the volunteers, I had a GREAT time! It was so nice to sit back and listen to music & chat with old & new friends :) LOVE YOU MARIE!

On 2010-05-31 14:23, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Kelly, You look radiant in this photo!

On 2010-05-31 12:43, Tonga Tom wrote:

Ah Gee...Thank You :blush:

TK

Oh, and here are a few pics...

Stacey / Happy Chi, looking deceptively demure

During the Tikiyaki set

Karrol / Kiki Von Tiki and Ravenne, hugging it out

Jennifer and I - birthday girls unite

Ravenne transfers to Manuel after Kiki just can't take any more hugging ; )

Me n' Stace

Brent / Congawa and Stacey

Dave and Kim were lookin' sharp for the cause. Too bad we only have a picture of Dave's shoes.

Dannelle, with her Crazy Al raffle win

Scott models his auction purchase - the Big Toe "Makua Guardian" mask

Toes says he has beard envy. Jeff / Tuna Tiki's beard IS quite impressive

What the heck is going on here?

Onto the dance floor with you, little lady

Doug missed his calling as a stylist

A fine self portrait in the ladies' room. Ravenne, me, and Stacey

Jason / Jason Wickedly and Dannelle, groom and bride to-be, practicing their poses for the upcoming wedding

Smokin' Menehunes, with Jim Bacchi and Crazy Al sittin' in

Scott bedazzles the lovely and colorful Jen and Kelly in his custom Kiki Von Tiki jumpsuit

Birthday and auction loot!

The awesome Go Tiki Bowl that I bought in the auction with my birthday cash. It was sold as a set with the incredible mug in the next photo...

Love it! Thanks for donating, GoGo and Dani!

I had to have this. I didn't even know until after I bought it that it was the only STIV mug done in this color, and is named "Pretty in Pink". Tiki Kaimuki must have unknowingly channeled me when he made it. LOVE IT.

Close-up of the card

That's it. Now off to post my long overdue Bamboo Ben's parking lot sale pics.

Oh Man! we are sorry we had to miss your Birthday Deanna,Hope it was great one!
Nancy & I really missed out on being there.
Was Doug dancing? Scott & his KVT Jumpsuit,Classic.
Missed you guys!

M

Soccer and WooHoo pulled off a very gallant event, mahalos to everyone involved, which i know is a long list from everyone that attended to the people that donated, volunteered, the bands, artists, bartenders, MC Crazy Al, and BTD that lined up the bands. I was really stoked to see everyone united for the benefit of Marie. She's a tough lady that is going to come back stronger then ever, and she will always have our continued support!

TM

On 2010-06-01 13:14, Tiki Kitty wrote:

Thank you, Tiki Kitty, for some Smokin' Menehunes LOVE!! (I thought we played a pretty darn good set!)

That's my favorite version of the Menehunes right there -- with Tikiyaki Jim and Crazy Al!

CL

Jeff Big TikiDude was THE MAN! For the NorCal event He was making calls like crazy up North coordinating from afar! I'm sure he was equally passionate and hardworking about it down there. Kudos to Chris, Karen, and Jeff!!!

TK

On 2010-06-01 13:30, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Oh Man! we are sorry we had to miss your Birthday Deanna,Hope it was great one!
Nancy & I really missed out on being there.
Was Doug dancing? Scott & his KVT Jumpsuit,Classic.
Missed you guys!

We really missed you guys, Lance! Yes, it was a fantastic birthday, and I couldn't think of a better way to have spent it. No, I don't think we'll ever see Doug dance in this lifetime (at least not voluntarily). That caption was about Bong leading Stacey out to the dance floor. :wink: Scott had a special jumpsuit made in red, just for the occasion. It was sweet!

Hey Tiki Kitty,
Mahalo for bidding on the mug. I am a big John Hughes fan, so I couldn't resist.
Now, I just need to figure out how to get my hair as giant as Duckies!

Mahalo to Soccer, WooHoo, and all the other fine folks who came together to make this happen.
Wish I coulda been there!

MR

Very upset I couldn't make this event. Looks like a great time. It makes me feel a certain level of pride seeing how the Ohana pull together for their own. Congrats to everyone involved. This is one of those events that is testament to the positive side of the species. Fabulous.

Could someone please put up a photo of Soccer Tiki and WooHoo the wonderful couple who made this all possible. Thank you both so much. Tonight Rugbymatt is coming over and bringing our raffle prizes a dress and a Bamboo Ben. I'm feeling very lucky, thank you to the donors, Wendy and Dan

TM

There are some awesome videos up! Of course, (and as USUAL, no Smokin' Menehunes) BUT....these clips show the surf bands that were playing that night, and in my opinion, they are some of the best surf bands around....even if you don't like surf, one has to admire the talent level and extreme musicality of these bands!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mariepalooza&aq=f

JB

On 2010-06-01 20:17, lucas vigor wrote:
(and as USUAL, no Smokin' Menehunes)

It's coming, it's coming....

TM

On 2010-06-01 20:22, Joe Banks wrote:

On 2010-06-01 20:17, lucas vigor wrote:
(and as USUAL, no Smokin' Menehunes)

It's coming, it's coming....

Man, that would be SWEET! (And very much appreciated!)

And I hope someone caught Exotiki on film! Watching kevin Stewart (Dartin Menny) play the bass is like watching a master painter at work. Every note is fat and delicious, and goddamn groovy!

Oh, and they had Skip Heller on guitar!

JB

On 2010-06-01 14:53, lucas vigor wrote:

Thank you, Tiki Kitty, for some Smokin' Menehunes LOVE!! (I thought we played a pretty darn good set!)

Mick - you guys are always a highlight for us, so the pleasure was ours. Wish I could have taken some video too, but I didn't have enough room on my memory card. As it was, I was hastily deleting old pics to make room for more that day. I just saw the video Scott posted. Good stuff!

The Smokin Menehunes are great.
I love old school Hawaiian music , as well as Exotica, and surf.
Good Music is good music, I wish more people would come see the Menehunes on Fridays at the Fish Kitchen.
(once a month)
and every 3 months or so at Busters Beach House in Los Alamitos Harbor.

as for the thanks to me for helping,
thank you, but it was really nothing.
Chris asked me to line up some bands, and be the stage manager for the 2 bar rooms.
cake walk, and right up my alley,
Not hard at all, and my pleasure to help out in a way that I could.

Chris and Karen and the other volunteers did much more than I did.

Thanks again to all who came, donated and helped put this together.
Jeff(btd)

UB

Did anybody check Crazy Al's ticket?

Just Sayin'...

SF

The best thing for me on Sunday, was the four surf bands. The show just got better every time a new one came on stage. Great show, Thank you Thank you Jeff

That Menehunes video is killer. Bonger, just owning it on the steel guitar!

I'm bummed that The Hula Girls couldn't be there for the benefit. Looks super fun from the pictures... I was busy getting waves and getting drunk in Mazatlan... Still recovering from it. BUT we'll see you all in Palm Springs on Friday!!

If they put together a round two benefit for Marie, I would love to play on it!

So I was totally remiss in not thanking Jeff for the absolutely awesome lineup and coordination of bands. Seriously, it was crazy. Jeff, you should quit your day job and put together shows.

Jen

TM

On 2010-06-01 22:07, Joe Banks wrote:

Here ya go....

http://www.youtube.com/user/MagickFilms

That's fantastic! The Smokin' Menehunes circa 1972 (from a tourist's vacation in Waikiki Beach's captured on super 8 film!)

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor
http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-06-02 17:56 ]

Just read on Facebook that Don's said they've raised over $12,000 so far! Fantastic. Looked like a hugely successful benefit & congrats to everyone involved. Hope your days get better & better all the time, Marie~ Yous two, JonPaul.
Andy

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that came out to organize, volunteer and support Mariepalooza -- you're the best!!! We had a blast!

Marie, Marie feel better and we'll see you soon!

TWO

It's all been said so many times in this thread but I simply must add my thanks to Chris, Karen, Big Tiki Dude, and Don's and all the artist that donated their work.
It was one of the best events I've ever been to. So many wonderful people in one place, for such a great cause....good times. Being a huge fan, I've come to EXPECT Tikiyaki to be AMAZING, and yet I'm always AMAZED that they are better than I EXPECTED. I can't say enough good things, so I'll leave it at that.

All the bands kicked ass, (I can't wait to see Slacktone at Forbidden Island next week) but Glasgow Tiki Shakers??? I had never seen them before, but they quickly became one of my favorites.

I left there feeling guilty for winning so many outstanding raffle prizes.

Last, but not least, Thank you to Jon Paul. He graciously gave the update on Marie at least a thousand times and never seemed bothered by people asking. Hats off to you sir.

So, same time next month?

B

We had a great time thanks to all involved. Not just 8 bands... but 8 very good bands. The Boardwalkers early set was awesome. One would think that Jon Paul would have been wiped out after that energetic set, but he had plenty left for Tikiyaki later. Thanks to BTD for getting my request of "Avalon Slip" to Slacktone, an exotically beautiful song that they usually don't play live (too slow).....Dusty rocked on drums. Smokin Menehunes and Exotiki in the bar...excellent. Glasgow Tiki Shakers and Tikiyaki Orchestra in the big room were as good and consistant as ever. I hope the raffle winners of the stuff we brought (Don The Beachcomber, Rincon Room, TikiTony, Kahiki) are happy. Love you Marie.

Results are 1/2 in!!!! I am still waiting on a few checks to clear and a few donors are still sending $$, but I know people are waiting to know how much we raised for Marie.....Well........

OVER $13,600!!!!! And that DOES NOT include the portion of the proceeds that Don the Beachcomber will be donating!!!

We still have a few event posters. I will be getting those out next week...I have to get the tubes for mailing and figure that into the shipping and handling...It won't be much, but I don't want to ruin any posters!

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL THE MUSICIANS, ARTISTS, VOLUNTEERS, DON'S, and YOU, the SUPPORTERS AND FRIENDS OF MARIE!!!
(I will list as many names of the donors as possible soon!)

Mahalo!!!
SoccerTiki

Awesome news Chris! Cant wait to hear the final tally.
Great job everybody! Get Well Marie!!!

Wow, that's incredible. Amazing job Soccer and Woohoo!

CJ

Is there a paypal account I can donate a little of my money that I don't have to? Unemployment is a bitch but Marie isn't :)

Wow guys, that is wonderful! That's gotta make a dent! You are in the serious fundraiser category with that, congrats!

Wow, that is awesome! We donate to a lot of local benefits and this is by far the most successful, the best run and without a doubt the most fun one we have ever done! Stellar job everyone!

Jen

L

Awesome!

I think you should give it to her in $1 bills :)

Evidence that the Mariepalooza poster is fully suitable for framing:

kevin

On 2010-06-05 11:30, heylownine wrote:
Evidence that the Mariepalooza poster is fully suitable for framing:

kevin

That's 11x14.....NOT 11x17!!! It will fit in an 11x14...trust me!!! Now buy 10 more and I'll be done!!! WoooHooooooooooooo! :P

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, Jun 5, 2010 4:37 PM

You have 10 left?

OK, I'll buy one.

On 2010-06-05 16:09, SoccerTiki wrote:
That's 11x14.....NOT 11x17!!! It will fit in an 11x14...trust me!!! Now buy 10 more and I'll be done!!! WoooHooooooooooooo! :P

Totally...that's the "pre-matte" version". :)

kevin

CA

OVER $13,600!!!!! And that DOES NOT include the portion of the proceeds that Don the Beachcomber will be donating!!

Mahalo!!!
SoccerTiki

That's a hefty tip jar!! nice! maybe the size of a real Rum Barrel!!!!! I see the future!!!!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jun 21, 2010 3:32 PM

I've been off the radar for the last two weeks but I must say you guys did a stellar job organizing and then holding this event! Thanks so much for all the hard work - it will return to you via love ten-fold.

Marie - Mel and myself think about you daily. Get well soon. G

We still have a few raffle prizes that have not been collected. We have left messages. As of next week I will put a picture of the remaining items here and open an online bid/offer for them. All of the proceeds will go into Marie's special account.

On 2010-06-05 16:53, heylownine wrote:

On 2010-06-05 16:09, SoccerTiki wrote:

Totally...that's the "pre-matte" version". :)

kevin

And (finally) here's the final version:

kevin

For those that may have missed the update on Marie's progress.
She is doing really well, and will be doing a sit in guest bar-tending appearance
at the Tonga Hut this coming Sunday afternoon/evening.

more info here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42063&forum=17&43

hope some of you can make it.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2012-02-07 22:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 283 replies