Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Orange County mini-crawl

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Hey, anyone in the Orange County (CA not FL) and/or surrounding areas want to do mini-crawl. I was thinking we could begin with some ono grind at the Loft (Warner/Beach Blvd) in order to get a little food in our system. Head down to Kinda Lahaina in Seal Beach, hit Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach, maybe hit my tiki bar in H.B., and wind our way (and I mean wind) down PCH to Laguna Beach and hit the Royal Hawaiian. We won't stop drinking until 1) our designated driver gets a DUI, 2) the food we ate at the Loft makes a u-turn, and/or 3) we run out of cash and our credit's no good. If any one is interested let me know.

L

I'm very new to Tiki Central and would love to meet some O.C. tiki people. I work at a bar at night and don't get to go out much. Has anyone been to the show at Sam's? I heard it's a lot of old folks but I'd like to check it out. Let me know, Laney

Count me in. Sam's Seafood is pretty cool as is the Royal Hawaiian. I've never been to Kinda Lahaina but would love to check it out.

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jun 18, 2002 2:10 AM

Send me a ticket ya! my mailing address is.....I wish. Hope you guys have fun! The LAPU LAPU's at da Royal Hawaiian are DA KINE!! Just ask my poor girlfriend...She swore she would never drink again after that night! ha ha! She was trashed ya! mo betta fo me! let me know when you tiki lovers want to come and play here on da islands! anybody email me anytime you are visiting! Hey Tiki Bong did you happen to see if any of my carvings were still at Oceanic Arts on your last visit brah. I just posted a tiki on ebay a few hours ago and I wanted to post it on tiki central but I could not figure it out. Do you know how? Mahaloz!
Gecko

Gecko!

I'm just a dumb Sh*# guitar playing surfer, I don't much about posting pictures on Tiki Central, BUT - I think all you have to do is include the Address of your posting on ebay in a message here on Tiki Central, and all the members will be able to view it.

Keep in touch. We'll be seeing you next Spring.

Alohaaaaaa

A

Sounds good, Shelley and I are in. Let us know when and where.
Al

P

I'd be interested, but it depends a lot on when it is going to happen. I've got a really busy summer ahead of me and don't have a lot of free time. The reason I am missing the Oasis 2002 this weekend (Darn Darn Darn).

Hey all interested parties!

I was thinking about the 2nd week in July for the OC mini-crawl as I was taking the week off work. I've received some emails with people's preferred dates/times. Let me know as this could be fun.

You can count me in! Just keep me posted of the details....!

:tiki:

OK! All wired after the Tiki Oasis! Must have more! MORE!

Looking forward to the Orange County mini-crawl.... putting a coat of wax on the T-bird and dusting off the dashboard hula girl...!

Calling all interested parties! This gig will be on Friday July 12th (unless someone else has a better date) The polynesian Review starts at 7:00 at Sam's Seafood. Our tentative schedule could be somthing like this: meet at Sam's 6:00 in order to do some front-loading; watch the show at 7:00; do some back-loading; either go to Duke's at HB pier, my tiki bar in HB, but eventually end up at Royal Hawaiian. We could go to this great Hawaiian food place in HB called the Loft.

I'm open to suggestions; remember to bring quarters for parking meters just in case. Will post another message as date appproaches.

P

I doubt I can make it by 6, even 7 may be a problem. How long does the show run at Sam's? If I can't make it for the show, I can probably hook up with you all afterward for some of the "back-loading," and from there to wherever.

Since I missed the Oasis, and seeing how great it all was, I am feeling very much in need of a Tiki fix.

Me and the mrs. would like to join in. I've got to think of a name for the Mrs. Well anyway keep us informed.

CA

not confirmed yet... but there might be another OC APE gig on Sat July 20th!!

We will be at Warner and PCH at Kosmoz with the Blue Hawaiians!!9:00 Fri the 19th, However this show will be crowded get there early!not much time for crawl'n around.

if you do not know APE... from S.F. http://www.tikimania.com/ape.html

come on out! i'll be carving live on stage!

This just in! Traderpup provided some exact details on the Polynesian Review at Sam's.

The gig is this: Dinner starts at 7:30 until 9:00, the show starts at 9:00 and ends at 10:00. Adults $36.95 Keike's $26.95.

I don't know about this. The whole dinner/food things wastes alot of drinking/chatting time.

If we did the dinner/show, we would be hard pressed to drive to Laguna and begin again.

I'm up to anything though. Please post some responses regarding if you all would want to do the show.

Traderpup also found out we need 48 hour reservations.

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-06-26 09:40 ]

A

Bong,
Shelley and I are in. I have a word of caution though. I met up with Weird Uncle and his friends at Sam's one night. Weird Unc had made the reservations under his name. Some people didn't show and Sam's told us they planned to charge us full price for the no-shows. If you decide to go to Sam's, don't shoulder the responsibility of reservations. People can do it for themselves.
Al

Tiki Bong said:
"The whole dinner/food things wastes alot of drinking/chatting time.
If we did the dinner/show, we would be hard pressed to drive to Laguna and begin again.
I'm up to anything though. Please post some responses regarding if you all would want to do the show.
Traderpup also found out we need 48 hour reservations."

Honestly, $37 bucks for dinner is a little steep for me. As such, I'd be good without the show. Besides, meeting other TC'ers is more along the line of why I want to go. Plus, I think it would be more fun to hop around in an actual crawl than to spend most of the night in Seafood Sam's.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd be happy just hangin' in Sams bar with other centralites than waste the whole eve there for pricey dinner and show.

I vote for keeping it a crawl stop, just nix the show idea!

Short of hearing from anyone else that wants to go, I think we, as a group, are more into the mingling with fellow TC's.

Next question would be do we do a traditional crawl and hit a few places or stay at Sam's?

S

Aloha!

T and I are in! Still trying to get Weezer and Chrissy to come down to HB too. We had such a great time at Tiki Oasis and didn't get to meet most of you, so we're looking forward to sharing some grog with you!

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

P.S. As for the crawl, we're cool as long as we have a DD. We live close enough to Sam's to cab it but I know this isn't true for all. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like this "Mini Crawl" is turning into a "Maximum Crawl"!!! Does anyone know anyone with a bus? Everyone kicks in 20 bucks and the bus drives all night!!! 20 bucks is cheeper than a 10k dui. Just an idea.......Yikes! Another 2 day hang-over!!!

Bamboo's idea of chartering a bus is good. Is it possible? What does the bus driver do whilst were imbibing? How about a full blown limo?

The bus is a great idea. In 1994 Otto, when still living in LA, organized the Palm Springs Lounge Tour with Joey Cheezy (where I gave a tour of the Tropics) in a bus leaving from Ships La Cienega. The nice thing is you can hear YOUR music and drink cocktails while en route. It might even be more fun IN the bus than out...

I hear you on that "Mr. Chair" from rm. 135!!!!!!!
We used to do it when we were into off roading. We would pack 30+ people on a bus and go to the races and rage! Barrels of booze, tunes, etc. Some people never even left the bus. I even think a couple of kids were conceived back then!!! On the bus!! I recently saw a double decker on main in H.B. on a booze cruise. While in Jamaica many moons ago, Mrs. Bamboo and I did one and people were pukeing out the windows!! It was great!! Limos might be a little more $$ but I've seen some big ones latley.Giant Hummers with like 60 windows! Anyone seen those? Bong? What do you think? You are the Fire Starter on this one!!! I'm amped!!!!!

I could check into the logistics of a renting some sort of tiki-cruiser. But that would take some serious committments from those interested in going. Those bailing on such committment would surely face the wrath of Pele (and ex-communication for a "to be determined, not to exceed 3 years to life, which ever comes first" period).

Anyway, after making a scientific, quantified/qualified decision of the cost (including barf bags) of a van/limo/cab service versus 5 or so DUI's, I'll post the results.

(Just a thought, wouldn't it be totally cool if we could rent a ricksha service to hustle our butts to and fro?)

Well, as long as the bus is somewhat reasonable ($$$), you can count me in.

29 person bus runs apprx. 49.00 an hour. If we get 29 people that's less than 20.00 each for 7 hours of drunkeness and a hang over at home instead of county with all the gang bangers!! Look under buses in ye ol' yellow pages.

A bus definitely makes the most sense. Question is: who is gonna take charge? I'm just the brain (waiting to be fogged), Otto used to be the organizer, but he's in Frisco now, anybody willing to step up to the plate?

I'll do it!!! I'll get rates this monday and go from there. Bong? You wana jump off the pier with me too or do you wana plan the trip? It's your idea..... your the leader. Were do we meet for the bus to pick us up? How bout bongs tiki bar? Bong?

P.S. or, we could meet at the Bamboo Ben store and everyone could bring sleeping bags and crash some of the booze off in the parking lot. Trying not to be paraniod, but sensable. Don't want to see anyone go down or hurt or hurt anyone else. I geuss it's my soft side speaking. And there's a 24 hr. Wall greens next door for water, asprin and munchies. ??

Hey Ben, that parking lot offer is a good one. Some people may come from LA and may need to sleep or chill a bit before getting on the road.

Ben, it's time for a head count. It should not be problem to fill the coach if Tiki Centralites bring like-minded friends, but you need commitments.
And the route is not easy to figure out, either, Suicide Sam had these problems with HIS Tiki crawl: Sam's Seafood closes kind of early (was it 10:00 p.m.?), and as we know the Royal Hawaiian is packed on the weekends, (so maybe we should get there LATE ?) And where else do we go? Bahooka's is too far... There needs to be a third destination, otherwise, going between two bars, you don't need a bus...

How bout a head count for those who are in for sure. Post it and I'll call around tomorrow for the rates and post what I come up with. We need King Kuku for entertainment on the bus. Maybe C'Al can go and carve along the way. Sven do you have a portable slide projector? Bong? The waves arn't that good........chime in.

Suggested stops:

Harpoon Harry's in Huntington Beach... just blocks from Sam's Seafood... if you've never been there, its a real treat! old nautical themed restaurant/bar thats decorated like an old sunken ship, really cool and popular place! Not overly familiar with the bar menu, but highly recommended for atmosphere alone!

There's another cool restaurant directly across the street from Sam's.... for some reason, can't recall the name, but has been adorned with Tikis and shipwreck at it entrance for quite a while.

Not exactly Tiki or Polynesian, but over-the-top kitsch none-the-less: Li's Chinese Restaurant in Huntington Beach. Its a really, really gawdy 60s chinese restaurant with a cocktail lounge that features a tropical drink menu, including scorpions served in giant clam shells. Its off Magnolia/Adams, and would be an easy stop between Sam's and Royal Hawaiian.....

There's a great place for those post-crawl munchies: Harbor House Cafe back in Huntington Beach.... place is very popular, huge menu, open 24 hrs, been there since the 30s, and really cool decor (old movie posters, signs, and those old punch card games from 30s & 40s are everywhere). This place is also just blocks from Sam's on PCH (assuming thats about the area where we'd park for the crawl)

just a suggestion, due to OC's lack of Tiki Temples......

Trader Pup

visit Traderpup.com

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2002-06-30 12:45 ]

A

Shelley and I are in.
Al

Those are all great suggestions, Trader Pup.
Li's Chinese sounds especially interesting, even if not Tiki, it's Exotica.

Is this going to be a "Non Smoking" bus ride? Otherwise we could book some firedancers throug "Adventures In Polynesia", because, as I just found out:
"...IMPORTANT A.I.P. ADVANTAGE: Fire and knife stunt performers come to your event or set already insured."
No cigarette lighters needed! I love LA.

I am currently trying to find the link to the info for the big July 27th Luau they are involved in at the "Hollywood Castle"? Will post it once I got it...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-06-30 14:57 ]

P

The place across from Sam's Seafood is Taco Surf. It's a little place kind of similar to Sharky's in Manhattan Beach. Mexican food and mediocre drinks. I ordered a Mai Tai there once and got something that was more like a tequila sunrise with rum.

As far as me, I'd love to go and will try, but can't commit to the 12th. I have a bunch of stuff going on that weekend and earlier in the day on Friday. I don't know when I can get to Orange county. If it were on the weekend of the 27th, that I could commit to.

Hey All!

This week (Monday July 1) let's start getting up a hard list of those going together. As far as a meeting place, we could meet at my tiki bar, I'm only 1 block from Li's (Newland/Garfield), or we could meet at Ben's place - doesn't matter (2 blocks from Li's). I'm in for renting the bus. Ben, can you get some good data on such logistics. 7 hours of service should be more that enough. I think there is a certain level of trust amoung the tiki brethren so a moderate level of credit may be able to be extended.

Stay tuned for details!

Aloha to all going... I think Sven will trip out on Li's. I still wish they had that big wheel on the ceiling with all the chineese zodiac signs but I think the carnival ride vynil seats with gold fleck will do him fine. And, they are always so happy to see you. it's a good vibe. Lot's of drunks hang at the bar. Should be interesting at least for 2 drinks.

I think it would be a good idea to meet at Ben's.

BB

I think it's a safe bet to meet there for you out of the area's (and in the area's too). One to many can be a nightmare compared to a few hours of car sleep and Pch from Sams to the Royal is Dui city. There is a cheap motel also across the street from the store. I'll get info on that too. So how bout, Bens, Sams, the Loft (for some kine grind)Tiki_bongs, Li's, the Royal Hwaiian,Bens and car sleep. And, whatever happens in between due to popular vote on the way. There is also Busters (old Jolly Roger just north of Sams based on a mytholigcal surfer, but lots of bamboo and thatch and stuff. (They even have a signed print of/from Bamboo Ben on the wall,LOL)Lahaian Grill in Seal Beach, Aloha Grill on main in H.B.and Dukes at the pier has lots of bamboo, thatch and koa (the koa is worth more than the building itself!! It's like 8k a ft. nowdays!! and a cool little bamboo bar in the patio that Corky carroll plays happy hours at on wed. and Sats.) L&L Hawaiian BBQ in the Marukai grocery store in Costa Mesa(nice bamboo treatment there too and they will be doing some foods for the "Gathering of the tribes grand opening party we said we would have but never did" coming up this Aug. on a Sunday from 12-sunset)(Marukai has good cheap Japanese Hawaiian foods and stuff)And I'm sure there are a million others in between.So, it's basicaly the original Tiki_Bong OC mini crawl but with a driver and no Dui's correct?

T

I'd suggest making Sam's one of the last stops.... they are open 'til 1am, where everything else closes by 11pm at the latest. Unless you all want to be home and in bed before midnight....!

Latest re-search for Bongs O.C. mini crawl.
The cheapest bus I found goes for 49.00 an hour with a 5 hr. min., 29 person capacity and 100.00 deposit if there is drinking on the bus.(I guess if we puke or spill, but I'll pack p-towells, bags and cleaning supplies so you's can clean up after me!!)
I called the spot's on the list and asked when the bars close on Friday the 12th and here is what I got;
Sams- 11:00p.m.
Royal Hawaiin- 10:30p.m.
Li's 10-10:30p.m.
Bamboo Bens- untill the cops come.
Bongs-will post tomorrow.
There's also another place on the way back from Sams called King Neptunes which I think Sven would dig (hole in the wall with lots of german mafia ties & memorabilia). Across the street from Kozmos where C'Al's Ape and the Blue Hawaiians are playing on the 19th. Anyway, that's what I have for now. Bong or I will post tomorrow as soon as I talk with him.

I just chatted with the folks at Sam's... very nice people there. Seems they are open 'til 1am on Saturdays only now. Used to on Fridays, but they said they just don't get the draw to stay open any later than 11pm....

Wellll....would that convince all to move the tour to Saturday? Not that Sam's is sooooo great, but where else to go late? From Ben's research there seems to be a serious problem to find any joint that is open later than 10:00/11:00 p.m. on Friday. That means we would start the tour at 5:00 p.m.????
Please post who would do Saturday also, and who would have probs with that...

Ben, I liked King Neptunes better before it got renovated. It had the dust of W.W.II on it. Now they painted it and did kind of a botch job, keeping some of the collections and tossing others...the button (ladies) and matchbook (men) wallpapered restrooms are still there, right?

T

On 2002-07-02 18:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wellll....would that convince all to move the tour to Saturday? Not that Sam's is sooooo great, but where else to go late? From Ben's research there seems to be a serious problem to find any joint that is open later than 10:00/11:00 p.m. on Friday. That means we would start the tour at 5:00 p.m.????
Please post who would do Saturday also, and who would have probs with that...

I'm fine with Friday or Saturday!

F

Dang, I have another engagement on the 13th (Saturday).

S

Aloha All,

Here's a suggestion:

I took the liberty of calling Duke's. Last call in the Barefoot Bar is 12:30 am! If we started at Sam's, made our way to Li's, then the Royal Hawaiian, we could close down Duke's and be within striking distance of Ben's parking lot. I agree with Ben, Duke's has a most impressive display of koa -- not overly tiki, but very cool. By then we should be seeing our own tiki apparitions, anyway! We'll also be right on the beach.

There's my 2 cents! I'm good on Friday or Saturday.

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-07-02 19:22 ]

Pages: 1 2 71 replies