Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Orange County mini-crawl

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Good work, Arty! A post-crawl cavort on the beach sounds like fun...

Ya,
Main St. in H.B. stays open till 1:30 or so. Aloha grill is cool, Dukes is cool and there is a place called Freds that totally goes off in a mexican way if anyone wants tequllia!. Lot's of bars on main st. So there's no worries on more drinking (just not much tiki but a lots of surf culture) Mrs. bamboo said, "why don't you all crash out in the store." Ya right, we'll be up all night talking and laughing!. That's why I suggested the parking lot. But, the store will be open to us going so if we want to crash out inside, it's cool.

Sven, I havn't been into King Neptunes for years. Bummer on the old museum they had. They had a cool collection.
p.s. I think Friday is good cause the hangover will be gone by Monday. Anyone else get 2 day hangovers?

P.S.,
Mrs. Bamboo just said, "We all have to be cleared out of the store by 9:58 Sat. a.m. (she opens at 10:00) so, it sounds like the store will be "camp OC mini crawl" for those not wanting the risk!" Bring your blankie!! We've slept there a few times and it's cozy. And, there's a lot of Bars, (Unstocked though)a bathroom with a sink, a queen bamboo bed, a twin bamboo bed, a floor, a cd 5 disc, lot's o thatch , bamboo and cars driving by that if you try hard enough (shouldn't be hard after that night) can sound like a waterfall! If anyone enjoys saw dust, they can sleep in the work shop across the lot!! Will be fun. Anyone from L.A. coming whos want's to beat traffic, come early and hang out. I'll just be building bars. You can play with bamboo!

Sounds great, I'll bring ear plugs to drown out the drunken snoring. (Mine, that is)
So let's stick with Friday the 13th...the 12th, I mean.
We need to recruit some more passengers, n'est pas?

C.B. and I would like to go, but as we are an fernando valleyites - we couldn't do a friday crawl - but on a saturday - we're there!
after drinking beach rendezvous sounds great.

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2002-07-03 01:29 ]

F

Slumber party at Bens! I want to leave the office early on Friday and I'd love to hang at the store and watch the master at work. I want to beat rush hour traffic so I will probably leave mid-afternoon. Question: How long does it take to get down there from WLA at that time of day on a Friday?

T

BigBro!

I can't do Saturday night because my surf club - San Onofre Surf Club - is having their big ass yearly luau at Old Man's. It goes off! Let's try to keep it to Saturday. Ben said the bus rates are $49/hour for a 5 hour minimum. We can find plenty of places to drink in HB. After I talk with Ben today, he or I will post the address to his shop and the meeting time on Friday.

Aloha

S

On 2002-07-03 07:32, floratina wrote:
I want to beat rush hour traffic so I will probably leave mid-afternoon. Question: How long does it take to get down there from WLA at that time of day on a Friday?

Floratina,

If you leave mid-afternoon it should take you about an 1 hour and 15 or an hour and half at most.

Hey Ben,

thanks for offering up your Bamboo Temple! We live pretty close, so it may not be necessary but it's nice to have options, especially in DUI country. Sounds like great fun and we're looking forward to it!

Aloha and mahalo!

Arty

S

On 2002-07-03 07:32, floratina wrote:
I want to beat rush hour traffic so I will probably leave mid-afternoon. Question: How long does it take to get down there from WLA at that time of day on a Friday?

Floratina,

If you leave mid-afternoon it should take you about an 1 hour and 15 or an hour and half at most.

Hey Ben,

thanks for offering up your Bamboo Temple! We live pretty close, so it may not be necessary but it's nice to have options, especially in DUI country. Sounds like great fun and we're looking forward to it!

Aloha and mahalo!

Arty

BB

Hey Big Bro,
We used to torture my brother when he snored. We'd take little tiny t.p. balls and rest then on his upper lip. When it was inhale time the t.p. balls would disapear up his nose!!. I do believe we are semi grown up now and all snore so that won't happen at "Camp OC-Mini Crawl" I hope. We need muzak on the bus. Anyone have a portable disc thingy with batteries? And, the cool tunes to go along with it? Dang, I used to have one of those "suit-case bar set ups" but sold it a while ago. Anyone have one of those? Might come in handy on the bus. Is anyone up to wearing Tiki Medallions around their necks? Like the rappers, but tikis? We can personalize them before we leave depending on who shows up. Let me know and I'll bust em' out. Name tags are so corny!! (lol)And, they will be a momento of the crawl and camp out. And, they make a good weapon carved out of a 2x4 with coco nut rope!!!!! Swing!! Wack!!! My nose!!!!! Have a safe and insane 4th of July.

Mahalo,
Bamboo Ben
Bamboo Ben (custom tropical decor)
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-5ish
Sun. 11-4ish (summer only)
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-07-03 20:14 ]

F

I want a Bamboo Ben medallion!

I think I can come up with the portable tunes....!

I'll have to burn my vinyl to CD.... don't think my '58 console turntable will fit on the bus!

:tiki:

T

Hey All!

Ben said the bus is $49 per hour with 5 hour minimum. $100 more if you want to (need to) drink on the bus to cover the clean up (hey! come on Mr. Bus Dude, we can clean up our own vomit!). Mr Bus Driver sir picks up the greenbacks when we load the bus-o.

Next bit 'O data needed will be the time to meet at Ben's shop along with the address of said shop for the unknowing.

Kudos to the Ben-miester for offering to let us check into the Bamboo Inn to sleep things off (we'll keep the light(rum) on for ya!).

This will be more low key, less of a rush than the Oasis, but hey, sometimes things happen in small batches.

Anyway, I remember once when I was at Disneyland ...

Later

Tiki Bong

S

Hey Ben,

Tiki medallions sound cool! Great idea!

Also, I have exotica tunes on CD -- Mondo Exotica, Marin Denny, Arthur Lyman, etc. I'll bring 'em along with a small travel bar that I picked up for just such an occasion!

Don't know if we will need to drink on the bus, especially if Mr. Bus Driver charges an extra "C note" but we'll bring it and we can decide before boarding.

This should be a blast! Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Arty

"The wheels on the bus go round and round..."

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-07-05 12:56 ]

T

I'm burning some of my rare Exotica & other cool vinyl onto CD, and I'll bring my portable player too... I've got some interesting stuff you can't get on CD...!

:tiki:

Aloohas,
Parking is a night-mare at my shop so I suggest you's all park next door behind Wallgreens. When we get back you can move your cars into the lot if you's want.All the freaks will be gone by then. I have "parking wars" all the time with the other tenants. You'll unsderstand when you come Friday. Otherwise, everything is cool. For those of you's who don't know where the store is, we're just behind the Karate studio on Yorktown Ave., that's West, just behind Wallgreens on the corner of Yorktown and Beach Blvd. . 712 Yorktown Ave. HB, 92648. A couple of miles north the beach and a couple of miles south the 405 frwy. For those of you who get there early, go to #7 which is on the other side from the store 3 doors down. That's the workshop. Next to the Auto MD (who looks like a strung out Gilligan, his nick name is Gilligan and is a blind auto mechanic with raughted teeth! Yikes!) Roy is in the front(West Coast Street Rods) we nicknamed him "Fuck" cause he's always yelling "fuck!" But, he's really cool. And, then there's Fati the Palistinian who runs the state smog check. The FBI investigated him 2 days after 911. They left laughing. Funny dude! Watch out for the drunks at Beach Collision. They start drinking as soon as they open 8am and are faced by the end of the day 5pm. That's a little taste of the complex. What time are we leaving anyway?

T

Count me in for this gala affair. Momma Trustar will be out of commission for that weekend but she gave me the big "go-ahead" to go solo. What a trusting soul. That or she just wanted me out of her hair. Also I am one of those non-drinking Tiki freaks so I will be able to keep an eye on the bus driver. You know how they can get when your not paying attention.

See you all Friday night.
Paul
"Trustar"

S

On 2002-07-05 23:10, bamboo ben wrote:
Aloohas,

What time are we leaving anyway?

How about if we meet at Ben's at 7:00 pm and have the bus depart at 7:30 pm? If we go 6 hours then that would give us until 1:30 am
-- plenty of time for the tiki spirits to kick in!

T and I are headed for Rosarito tomorrow, and we'll be incommunicato for couple of days... so we'll defer to the rest group for the actual meeting time. We'll catch up with you all again on Big Wednesday.

Adios, amigos!

Uncle Arty

Stentiki, hope you get this before you leave:

South of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, on the strip with all the garden statuary/pottery stores there is one guy that still makes Tikis from concrete. A lot of them have a pre-columbian touch (the Thor Heyerdahl theory reversed?), but I picked up a huge "cartoony" one (4 f) for $150.- They're so heavy, nobody can steal them out of your yard...

Speaking of Rosarito, my neighborly auto fixer next door gave me a bunch of things that shoot into the sky (normaly used on the 4th) that I have a left over from the 4th that we could see when we get back from the crawllllll if were bored. China not Rosarito.

On 2002-07-08 17:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Stentiki, hope you get this before you leave:

South of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, on the strip with all the garden statuary/pottery stores there is one guy that still makes Tikis from concrete. A lot of them have a pre-columbian touch (the Thor Heyerdahl theory reversed?), but I picked up a huge "cartoony" one (4 f) for $150.- They're so heavy, nobody can steal them out of your yard...

Hey Big Bro,

Just back from Rosarito. I met this guy the last time we were there! It was great to see the tikiman at work -- he's a sweet old guy that my wife totally fell in love with! We picked up a stone and a wood cartoon style tikis about a month ago last time, and another small wood tiki this time. He's also carving a hawaiian style tiki for us that I will pick up again in couple of weeks.

There was another guy further south on the strip who had these huge stone alien looking type tikis that I really wanted but there was no way I could carry them or get them into my car! They were about 400 lbs. a piece! I'll have to take a van down there next time!!!

Looking forward to the crawl, and yes, I agree that we outta make a trip to Li's and utilize the bus as much as we can.

Aloha,

Arty

the tiki medallions cam out like shit due to the fact that I cut my finger today. It's a throbbing, havf way thhrough the index finger and the finger nail. So, maybe I;ll bring them out after we get back. ouwch go to go.

Mrs. baxdog and myself cannot get to ben's early enough to ride the wild bus :( but if we drive to Sam's what do we do. Are we seeing the show? Do we have reservations?Are we going in to the bar? Tell please please please. I have not been to Sam's in 18 years.

Aloha!
I imagine there are tears in all your eyes that I am not on the bus right now....yup, I sense it. I have tears too, so hang tight you'll feel better in the morning....HA, but not as good as I'll feel without a dozen Mai Tais swirling around my stomach and hammering my aching head....But, have no fear...I will be attending the APE show at Kosmos and my loving husband, Bamboo Ben, agreed (in trade for tonight) to be our DD...yaaaaaa baaaaby!
So, this being my first post on Tiki Central...Aloha to all and to all a good (and safe) night.
Mahalo, Mrs. Bamboo
PS If you are still crashed when I open the store at 10:00 am, you will be forced to hula for pennies on Yorktown Ave....I need "eye-catchers" every once in a while.

Pages: 1 2 71 replies