Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TikiBocce(tm) V is in the History Books!

Pages: 1 17 replies

In honor of MY birthday the day previous: We're having our 5th annual TikiBocce party on June 12th.

We'll have the Hapa Haole grooves of The MaiKai Gents, great food, even greater cocktails, the ever-present birthday cake, and of course, SUPER-HOT BOCCE ACTION!

11am start. For additional details, DM your EmailAddress to be put on the Evite.

Here's hoping it's not hotter than Polynesia this year...

Love,
~T

"If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
-Catherine Aird

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-06-17 15:07 ]

RR

Hmmm, LPN is playing the night before up there. I'm thinking a road trip is in order.

[ Edited by: Rob Roy 2010-05-09 13:46 ]

M

In 2009, Team Quicksand dedicated itself to spreading the gospel of the good roll. Sacrificing themselves, figuratively, to bettering their fellow man through the good word. Quicksand roamed Lund Manor on their mission seeking converts, and free cocktails, for the cause. While the team's efforts at bocce were less than desired Elders Mai Tai and Midnite sought success in teaching others the ways of Quicksand. It went well, until it didn't.

The powers that be, be them or they, sought to quell the popular wave they saw in Quicksand. Said powers said, "Stop those...those infidels, those usurpers." Soon, Team Quicksand was ostracized, and worse:

The righteous lads were not seen again, little is known of their activities following Tikibocce. Did they go underground, seeking refuge in some backwater bocce league? Have they abandoned the good word? Rumors concerning their whereabouts continue to spread with Quicksand sightings reported in locales as disparate as Tierra del Fuego, Port Moresby, and Alameda. Whatever their fate, the boys remain on the lam, outlaw spiritual guides for the downtrodden, the disenfranchised, the thirsty.

One thing is certain, twelve dollars seems about right.

I am so excited about this. It is such a great event.

@Thayer, I'm so glad it's YOUR birthday this year! We'll all be sure to bring in your day (albeit a day later) in proper fashion. By the way, what's your favorite edible goodie these days? I'd like to bring it along...

Thanks for having this event Thayer and Scott!

Even I, who live with part of Team Quicksand, do not know what the lads are up to this year. I suspect they will find their way to bocce again this year, do their best to win, and it will be entertaining.

On 2010-05-19 01:23, midnite wrote:

In 2009, Team Quicksand dedicated itself to spreading the gospel of the good roll. Sacrificing themselves, figuratively, to bettering their fellow man through the good word. Quicksand roamed Lund Manor on their mission seeking converts, and free cocktails, for the cause. While the team's efforts at bocce were less than desired Elders Mai Tai and Midnite sought success in teaching others the ways of Quicksand. It went well, until it didn't.

The powers that be, be them or they, sought to quell the popular wave they saw in Quicksand. Said powers said, "Stop those...those infidels, those usurpers." Soon, Team Quicksand was ostracized, and worse:

The righteous lads were not seen again, little is known of their activities following Tikibocce. Did they go underground, seeking refuge in some backwater bocce league? Have they abandoned the good word? Rumors concerning their whereabouts continue to spread with Quicksand sightings reported in locales as disparate as Tierra del Fuego, Port Moresby, and Alameda. Whatever their fate, the boys remain on the lam, outlaw spiritual guides for the downtrodden, the disenfranchised, the thirsty.

One thing is certain, twelve dollars seems about right.

Okay!

The Evite went out yesterday. If you need the party info, please DM me with your email.

Cheers!

~T

So sorry to miss this year's festivities. Will be in lovely Ft Lauderdale at Hukilau. Will miss you all.
Brenda

M

As TikiBocce Cinco approaches the latest news on everybody's favorite holy rollers is not encouraging. It appears Team Quicksand did beat a hasty retreat out of the country after their run in with the powers that be. Evidence seems to point to further legal troubles in some Banana Republic down South. Maybe they should have shopped at Amazon?

Whatever the basis for their predicament it does look as if the boys have turned away from their earlier preachings of peace, love, and bocce rolling. Misrepresenting missionary work and concomitant off-court bocce bookmaking seem the least of their worries now. The righteous duo were always big fans of Butch and Sundance but they may have taken things too far:

Funny, even in some mosquito-ridden equatorial jungle, still worth twelve dollars, American.

I am rolling on the floor at the moment. This is too funny!

I'd love to toss the pill around but don't have a team mate... or directions to this shin dig. Did my E-vite get lost?

L

Aw man I just realized that this is at the same time as the SF Crawfish Boil....I will have to hope you all take pics!

Okay, I've received my invite to Tiki Bocce(tm)now that I've cracked the code. It all gets back to that reading thing now doesn't it. Dow!

1/2 of Team Richard Cranium will be there with bocce balls of fire, Penicillin not included. My buddy was being kind of a dick about whether he was going to do it but he has gone off half cocked and I'll be there in need of a team mate. Anyone who wants to give me a hand would be appreciated.

M

Tragically, the reports, if true, are much worse than imagined. The dispatches I've read, while third-party and unverified, were so terrible I held back on reporting them until now. While one could easily understand how Team Quicksand had escaped the oppression brought their way and sought refuge in some faraway land, it seems unthinkable the lads could...could fall this far.

Dabbling in a spot of larceny or municipal shenanigans is one thing but the "deep end" now seems a distant memory. The holy rolling duo have, it appears, resorted to wholesale moral depravity and nihilism. I cannot vouch for these photographs but they were sent to me from a correspondent last seen in the subtropical jungles of a certain Central American nation. This same country is now under extreme societal pressure, a movement is fomenting. Violence is in the air, rebellion is spoken of in not entirely hushed tones. Quicksand has taken to the hills, ensconced in some primitive camp, engaged in rum-swilling hooliganism and political head-rolling. The local HBO signal has been pirated.

There are first-hand accounts of gun play:

And worse still, the team is utilizing the dark art of ancient Far East combat dance:

With these photos the, now missing, journalist had scribbled some rambling messages about the new roles Quicksand had adopted:

"What are they gonna say about Team Quicksand? What are they gonna say? That they were a kind team? That they were a wise bocce pair? They they had plans, man? That they had wisdom? Bullshit, man!"

I am not sure which is more frightening, the unsound methods Quicksand have now taken or the real possibility that they may now possess the answer after all.

The horror... the horror...

MT

This year's Tiki Bocce promises to be "revolutionary". I have been remiss in posting on this thread, but hey, I've been busy looking for Col. Kurtz. Has anyone seen him? He owes me money.

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2010-06-12 11:57 ]

I've heard he's hiding in the Rain Window store.

MT

Congratulations to Team Quicksand, otherwise known this year as ¡Team QuickSandinistas!, the winners of Tiki Bocce V!!!

Oh, wait...

errr...

ummmm, I mean, congrats to Team Jen n' Sven!!!

We couldn't get the last pic in time, of Jen wrenching the precious trophy out of the hands of everyone's favorite loveable insurgents, ¡Team QuickSandinistas! ¡Poder para El Cóctel! ¡VIVA QUICKSAND!

More pics to follow...

As the sun crested over Lund Manor, the carnage was evident a good time was had by all.

TofuJoe and I have too, too many people to send great big Mahalos to. And in my present, derailed, state, I'm sure to forgot one or two (or more) of you.

Let's start w/ The Gindicate, who have their little paws in so many aspects of TikiBocce, that they need to negotiate for top billing on the marquee.

Big Props to recipients of Top Bocce Honors, JenTiki and Baronishiki, who were Team Jen 'n Sven brought to you by ** Smuggler's Cove**!* They played hard, fast and ALWAYS befezzed with rum-in-hand.

Mahalo to the band, Alan & Mark (which y'all be familiar with, as they're the (unofficial) Official elevator band at Tiki Oasis), and their lovely, talented pal with the sax (who's name escapes me right now).

And, honestly, the creativity and artistry of Midnite, "Mrs. Midnite" and Mai Tai gobsmacks me every year. Their commitment to TikiBocce is inheralded, and yet so very appreciated. Not enough mahalos in the world, boys (and girl).

Oh, and if anyone wants a bagel, I have almost 3 dozen I'm looking to offload.

*a division of Smugco Industries

MA

Aloha To All:

Just want to send out a huge MAHALO!!! to TofuJoe and Haole'akamai for another fantastic, wonderful time. Great drinks, great food, great people and great bocce competition!! Thanks so very much!!

I heard (but have not confirmed)that Team USA was texting on their bench during their match against England trying to get the latest results of Tiki Bocce V.

I also want to send out a big MAHALO!! to all of Team Pele's Revenge's fans for your support. You guys were great. We hope to be back better than ever for Tiki Bocce VI. Aloha.

Pages: 1 17 replies