Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Writer of Princess Ka'iulani' movie takes pop shot at Tiki Bars

Pages: 1 6 replies

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100514/LIFE/5140330/+Ka+iulani++film+a+regal+portrayal

He writes: "The single most important thing this film is going to accomplish is to show the world that the Hawaiian people had a real culture, real history, and undo a lot of damage this tiki-bar culture has done over the years."

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-05-14 08:15 ]

"The single most important thing this film is going to accomplish is to show the world that the Hawaiian people had a real culture, real history, and undo a lot of damage this tiki-bar culture has done over the years." -Mark Forby-

Dear Mr Forby,

This is to let you know that I will continue my war against authentic Hawaiian culture until the day I die. And I am not alone in this. There are hundreds of thousands who count themselves among the "tiki-bar culture" and we will not rest until we have erased your beloved "real" culture from the face of the Earth.
You and your little films are powerless against the awesome force of Tiki. It's everywhere. It's unstoppable.

The damage has barely begun.

Hawaiian Kultchuh Killah

T

Thanks for posting this Mongoloid - like tiki-bar culture has sacred power to erase and/or rewrite past history, events (or more relevant to our lives - rewrite modern pop-culture history.)

Stand proud tiki-bar culture! (go Woofy!!) We are acknowledged by a British born-America raised movie director...whoopee!

If I do get a chance to watch this movie, I'll be watching for glimpses of tiki by default, which in itself is ironic! Also, what's up with casting Q'orianka Kilcher as Princess Ka'iulani - she's of South American blood not Hawaiian!?!!??

It seems to me the director Marc Forby could use his film as a reasonable platform to add fuel to the argument that native Hawaiians should be considered in the same light as Native Americans i.e. receive full benefit of all federal assistance programs - a continuing debate.

I hope Mr. Forby continues to use the negative tiki-bar culture sentiments in all his publicity campaigns for this movie. Come over to the mainland, Marc!
This way somebody will eventually secure him to act as GRAND MARSHALL of our next huge tiki-culture "PARADE"...(Oasis,Hukilau,Ohana,Caliente etc)

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-05-14 10:43 ]

J

Actually I'd like to see this movie. I hope it has a run on the mainland.

Also I think the writer was referring to the whole kitschy tourist Poly-Pop hula girl imagery of Hawaii that's been with us since the 1950's. He just used "Tiki" as a convenient (or lazy) brand name for that. Even here on TC, many people confuse (tourist) Hawaiiana and Tiki as being the same thing. :(

And BTW: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36260&forum=13&vpost=530613 :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-17 07:57 ]

I was told that the movie is barely Hawaiian----and sucks to boot!

They couldn't even use/find a real Hawaiian to play the part.

Addendum~
Than again Hollywood has been doing that for decades (actors of different ethnics playing roles of another ethnic)

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2010-05-18 11:39 ]

Heres a trailer to the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GXLnIHsB1g&NR=1&feature=fvwp

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-07-23 17:27 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies