Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

My Name

Pages: 1 46 replies

This is probably just opening up a paranoid can of worms, but I'm gonna pose this question, anyway, cuz I'm just not real bright. :lol: As I approach 1000 posts, I keep wondering if my TC name is just a bit too pretentious. I am really not that big, 6'1" 186 lbs & certainly no kahuna. I chose the name as a TC newbie, mainly, because I spent a week trying to come up with some clever name like most of you have, but kept drawing blanks. Finally, I gave up & chose Big Kahuna. My employees started calling me that 15 or so years ago, long before I knew what a Tiki was & I just couldn't think of anything better. My question is; Should I keep Big Kahuna or change my name to something more fitting? Please let me know what you think, even if you think this is the dumbest thread anyone has ever started on TC. I think I've earned some measure of respect on here & I've got thick skin, so fire away.
Mahalo,
Rick

I am neither a daddy nor all that sweet, really.

I am neither Super, nor do I pack 8.

L

Yes Rick please change it...to "Not So Big Kahuna" hahahah

well I originally meant for my name to be LeiLeiLiz but I signed up too fast and it ended up as LeLeLiz....sounds like you are stuttering when you say my name!

How bout... Cliff Claven!!??

( I got ordained by my dog. Online... :wink:

keep Big Kahuna!!!

Ben, I love you, man! :lol:

And I'm no Dog...

I'm not angry nor canine, mine isn't really even a good Tiki name. Wikipedia says the average American male is 5' 9 1/2", so at 6'1" you are bigger than most and I'm sure you are a Kahuna in your own mind! Beside, there is no "honesty in nickname" clause, I say KEEP IT!!!

EDIT - Liz, that's funny about your name :lol:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-05-15 20:01 ]

T

And I really don't...

(Actually, that reminded me to change my damn name, too...)

KEEP IT!!!!!! much more original than mine.

I'm really getting more laughs out of this than anything. You guys are great. Twitch, I was a little slow getting your reponse, but when I did, I chuckled heartily!

Your right it is the dumbest post ever!!

Just kidding, wouldn't want to piss off even the Not So Big Kahuna!!
I liked it

I picked mine due to a complete lack of creativity.
I drive a Ford Lightning, and was known as Lightning Steve on truck sites so just stuck with that.
And for those less observant it's LIGHTNING, not lighting,geez,LOL!!

Yes!

On 2010-05-15 20:39, kustomtiki wrote:
Yes!

Ok, you & I are definitely Kustom brothers, but what the hell are you answering yes to?

S

If you change it now then you're not going to make it to 1000 posts and will have to start all over again.

I was always surprised that you got that name as late as '07

Keep it.

'Am not a Polynesian and given name is James.

Ergo, "Haole Jim" works here, if you feel it's appropos, be and remain "Big Kahuna."

I unfortunately don't have the land deeds to prove that I'm the Baron that I am. But that never stopped me from calling myself Baron anyway.

Hey, there's a party in my pants and the hor d'eourves are on me.

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2010-05-16 00:46 ]

Keep the name Big K! We want you to have it. The other big kahunas around here just call themselves other things, and we're all happy...

On 2010-05-15 21:26, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I was always surprised that you got that name as late as '07

Keep it.

Cheers to that!

Sure looks to me like everyone agrees you should keep it.

Hey, you could be stuck with a name like mine. When I signed up I picked a name that I use on other forums and being a fan of miniatures it was perfect for the other forums. On here, it kinda stands out but just too much trouble to think of something creative and tiki and start all over again.

Count me as another vote of "Yeah" for keeping Big Kahuna.

This is all very disheartening.

The revelations in this thread show that these misnomers cannot be merely dismissed as accidental or even lapses in judgment made in haste (or, more likely, under the influence) but were crafted with calculated intent of deception.

I am shocked. Shocked!

Woof, let me take this opportunity for all the times I've smiled reading your posts, especially after a crappy day in the rat race.
Rick

This is what was left of me after a Tiki Central bar crawl.
The name stuck.

TM

Keep the name.

My user name has no meaning, no context...and was actually my second choice. (My first choice was Steve Vigor)

TK

i really suspect that you don't need another to tell you to keep it...BUT, keep it.

8T

Yes, I thought this would be a lame thread but it's kinda funny to hear the replies so far. OK, now this may be difficult to accept but inspired by your new found honesty, I must disclose that......I am not quite 8 Feet tall. :blush:

Yeah I didn't realize how important picking a good username really is on TC...you're stuck with people calling you that for life! Mine is what happens when you spellcheck my actual last name. Also...it reminded me of Marilu Henner's line in Johnny Dangerously....."you know your last name's an adverb?" I would keep Big Kahuna, you've earned it!

B

I DO bead and collect Tiki - hence BeadTiki.

As for the BIG in Big Kahuna - you may merely be advertising something OTHER than your height?! wink wink!

Mr PuPu Pants - that was hillarious - haven't heard the "party in my pants" line in a long time! Thanks for the high school flashback!

I'm not a boy, I'm a man, and I live in a big city. But, I do love Eden Ahbez.

Man, you gotta keep that name, what else are we gonna call you??

BTW, I am psycho, I love to collect tiki and my first name starts with a "D"!

Most peeps just call me psycho here though!

Long live Big Kahuna!

PTD

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, May 17, 2010 5:25 AM

As Psycho pointed out above me... What are the other options? Big Kahuna is alright, not too original, but sounds big... Sounds important... The only Big Kahuna for me in TC is That Hanford lemoore guy. I say you drop the name.
And one more thing, What's up with that 1000th post paranoia??? Who cares? :wink:

T

On 2010-05-16 18:15, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Yeah I didn't realize how important picking a good username really is on TC...you're stuck with people calling you that for life! Mine is what happens when you spellcheck my actual last name. Also...it reminded me of Marilu Henner's line in Johnny Dangerously....."you know your last name's an adverb?" I would keep Big Kahuna, you've earned it!

Well boy I feel dumb - the first thing popped in my head after seeing your name was Jason Priestly so I figured you were just really hating 90210 by spinning the guy's name!

But seriously BK, keep the name - until Frankie Avalon knocks at your door looking for a surfing match, then you may have to pink slip it.

My name aint Joey. Shipwreckjoey's was a dive I frequented when I worked at Todd Shipyard in Pedro and lived in Long Beach. For some stupid reason (probably involving multiple rum drinks) I decided that would be a cool screen name. I just hope I don't get sued for copyright infringement!

I'm not Bob, (He's your uncle) and this banana is not for you...
If I knew what pretentious meant I'd answer but I think, you think, your more important than you probably are.

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 12:15 AM

GROG was GROG before GROG join TC, but the name worked out since there is the drink, "GROG" and it's variations (Navy GROG, Captain's GROG. etc), and the GROGLOG drink book. And also, GROG do Tiki ceramic art, and the clay used has "GROG" in it. So, it all worked out anyways.

Keep Big Kahuna. It's who you are.

Overt paranoia is unbefitting a big Kahuna such as yourself, Rick. Maybe you could sell it, and throw in the 1000 posts!

J/K Rick, you're definitely worthy in my book!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 10:11 AM

Good point Prof.! A Big Kahuna would never doubt it's own Big Kahunaness! :wink:

I say keep it, but what do I know...mine, well...um, i think it's kinda self explanatory (and completely lacking in creativity) except that the "Pauly" is a nod to growing up in Jersey...

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2010-05-21 17:55 ]

I'd keep it. Its a cool name. My name ain't Deke Kahala... well, not in real life. Its a combo of my stage name and my grandfather & granduncle's stage name.

W

I live on West A Street and I'm a Dad.

Keep the name Kahuna, that seems the consensus! :)

Chris

TT

It doth appear that thou art the Big Kahuna, so thou shouldst keep thy name.

On 2010-05-15 17:57, Big Kahuna wrote:
.... I keep wondering if my TC name is just a bit too pretentious....

How could that name be pretentious if it was used by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder in "Little Annie Fanny"?

OK! Let's put this to rest. After 99% positive feedback, I'm gonna keep the name. We all know Hanford is the Biggest Kahuna around here, anyway. Thanks for all your kind words. I really can't imagine my life without TC anymore.
Mahalo,
Rick
Big Kahuna

J

On 2010-05-20 09:11, Big Kahuna wrote:

OK! Let's put this to rest. After 99% positive feedback, I'm gonna keep the name. We all know Hanford is the Biggest Kahuna around here, anyway. Thanks for all your kind words. I really can't imagine my life without TC anymore.
Mahalo,
Rick
Big Kahuna

Actually whenever I see your user name I aways append "burger" to the end. Isn't "Big Kahuna Burger" a Quentin Tarantino reference?

"MMMM.... This is a tasty burger". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhv71odw_0

I'm glad such a burning Tiki issue has been put to bed. We're here to solve any and all of your personal dilemmas, no matter how trivial.

Next?

P.S. ( :D )

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-20 14:46 ]

I'm a gnomon. I think you should change your name every so often. I recommend that you take the second letter in Kahuna and swap it with the last letter just to freak people out when they suddenly notice that it's backwards. 8)

Pages: 1 46 replies