Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New Les Baxter! The Beast Within! Limited Edition

Pages: 1 6 replies

:o WOW! :o

Looks like they found a Master from MGM. I will have to compare this to my bootleg copy which I submitted to Intrada a while back.

Can't wait to hear what Paul Clemens has to say about this too!

Thanks for the heads up Drew!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, have you received your copy yet?

I listened to mine - it sounds great. I compared it to the unauthorized version. It sounds like there is less hiss on the new release, suggesting that either it's from a better source, or that it was treated to some serious noise reduction. To my ears, it sounds like it's from cleaner source material.

This CD runs about a minute shorter than unauthorized version. I haven't compared every track. The shorter running time may result from tighter edits between selections and/or slight variances in the tape speeds.

Thanks Jeff for hipping me to this soundtrack. I'm glad to have this new version too. I am such a sucker for late 70s/early 80s horror film scores mixing orchestra and electronics!

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-05-29 18:03 ]

I haven't received mine yet but it's on the way!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Got it yesterday! :)

Warning "DO NOT" listen to this in a dark Tiki Bar. It will scare the hell out of you!!

Serious dark electronic warbling from a Moog synthesizer mixed with high pitched squealing strings. Very trippy shit!!

This is one of my favorite Les Baxter soundtracks but if your looking for Exotica look elsewhere.

I haven't had time to compare my copies yet. It could take awhile. The track sequences have been re-arranged, plus the boot doesn't have any track listings.

The Intrada release definitely sounds better, plus the extensive liner notes are really well written.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

did they release this on vinyl?

O

Never on vinyl, as far as I know.

Pages: 1 6 replies